Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter ball serving its purpose (1/13)

Re: Winter ball serving its purpose (1/13)

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Who is the better leftfielder Dunn or Pena?
    Dunn. But I bet he's also the better first baseman, and a bad first baseman can do a lot of damage to team because of the number of plays that he is involved with.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dunn

Lord help us if Wily Mo is ever on first. He's enough of an adventure in the outfield.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Dunn knows what he's doing..Pena just runs around and hopes the ball finds him.
    Go Gators!

Ok, I will play devil's advocate here but wasn't Pena originally an infielder 3B/SS when he first signed? Perhaps moving the weakest fielder to first isn't too bad an idea. I would rather play Dunn in left over Pena.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Ok, I will play devil's advocate here but wasn't Pena originally an infielder 3B/SS when he first signed? Perhaps moving the weakest fielder to first isn't too bad an idea. I would rather play Dunn in left over Pena.
    The problem with that is that a first baseman will touch the ball (total chanches) 1200+ times over the course of a season. The most total chances by an OF last year was Brady Clark with 399 (Adam Dunn had 246).

I don't know about you but I don't think I want WMP touching the ball 1200 times next year. I'm afraid my head might explode.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Athleticism isn't the main thing about playing first base. It's more baseball IQ. It's going to be a while before Dunn is comfortable mentally over there. More situations to deal with just takes longer to become natural and instinctive.

Wily Mo, yikes.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

So I am guessing you guys don't want the Turd Sandwich with Pickles instead of the turd sandwich with onion?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

It's not uncommon for guys like Wily playing out of position in winter ball. Sometimes it keeps them healthier. And in Mo's case,it's probably a good thing he's not out there running into things and bouncing off other players/walls. He's also had hammy/leg problems,so that's another factor.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    so are there any active professional leagues between the end of the Caribean Leagues season and Spring Training?
    Years back I used to try and follow the Carribean/ Latin Amercian winter ball in their native medias to work on my Spanish. My recollection is that many of the countries have national championship playoffs and then either the national championship team or a special national team comprised of all stars would go on to play in the Latin American Championship. This is what would be going on between the end of the winter leagues and Spring training.

Just how the WBC has effected this I do not know.

I don't have the stats so I'm not positive, but it sure seems like Willy Mo has way more range in the OF, which is pretty important due to the fact that Griffey can't move anymore. Pena is still young, and hasn't had much repetitions in the OF, so I'll give him some room for improvement. Moving to Dunn to 1B preserves his legs IMO, and with him being 6'6" it might be a good idea. Seems like a common sense kind of thing to leave Mo in the OF and put Dunn at first (who is a bigger target for EdE)

Turn Off Ads?