Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot stock tips?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Hot stock tips?

I've ridden VLO and AWGI for awhile now, and both are good companies going forward IMO. I have built up a bit of capital and want to start looking for another small-cap to invest in. I have my 401K, etc in mostly stable, boring places so I can assume pretty much any risk I want in my Roth IRA.

WTSLA looks interesting to me, but I am on the fence given the risk/reward I perceive there. I am hoping to find something a bit better.

I'll do my own DD, but ... what have you got for me? Why should I be interested, and what should I look out for if I take the plunge on your pick?

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Hot stock tips?

VLO's a good stock and a big employer here. They recently refreshed the look of their c-stores and they look very classy now.

GOOG's a money-making machine these days. This is one of the rare sites on the net that doesn't have some of their ads on it.

I listen to Jim Kramer's radio show. He's given me some good advice. He loves VLO, too. I bought SHLD about 6 months ago, on his recommendation, despite my dislike of Sears and Kmart. If you're not feeling too heavy in retail with VLO, you might consider it. At the time I bought it, he said it would be a great buy-and-hold. I wasn't expecting the price to hold after I bought it, though. Kramer still swears it will take off eventually.

KMG has been doing well for me lately, but you've got oil covered with the VLO.

I also have some MOT that has been doing better lately. Kramer loves that one, too. If you like the wireless industry and think the RAZR phone is cool, it seems like a smart choice, since it's the biggest domestic phone maker.

Research Rambus (RMBS). It is involved in many different legal affairs right now but that is what makes it interesting. In a nutshell Rambus claims that a few companies infringed on its' patents for it's different computer memory chips. The three companies have been battling back for a few years but Rambus is starting to gain some momentum. In the past couple of weeks there's been a couple judgements come out basically saying that Rambus is not in the wrong. They also signed a $75 million contract with AMD during that two week period. Those two events have caused the stock price to rocket from $16 to $32. I really enjoyed that ride, but I'm hanging on to my shares due to the position Rambus is in right now. Most of that movement was on speculation because if things turn out like I think Rambus could be in position to make billions, yes billions, on royalty payments from their infringed patents.

A couple years ago Fred Hager claimed that Rambus could reach $1000 a share, it's currently around $33. I think that's far fetched, but I also think there's a ton of potential if things turn out positively for Rambus. Is Rambus risky? You bet. It's a high risk high reward type of deal.

There's plenty of research to be done on Rambus to form your own opinion. Regardless of what you decide, good luck.

Just remember, never invest more than you can afford to lose.

Kramer loves Talisman Energy (TLM), though it would have been a better buy a year ago (because you'd have already doubled your money).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I have looked at GOOG and MOT a bit lately and decided to pass on both.

I'll be checking out SHLD, KMG, RMBS and TLM this week.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know if I purchase any of them.

GL

TLM is interetsting to me, however, such a huge annual capital outlay each year makes me a bit nervous. (Not that I think oil prices are going down in the near future, I am holding VLO) Since I already have VLO and am doing well with it, I am going to pass on this one. If I didn't have a VLO, I'd bite on this. Thanks for the intersting pick M2, I'll probably keep this on my radar.

SHLD is an interesting study as well. Unleashed alot of cash selling underperforming KMart stores in decent neighborhoods were the property/location itself was valuable. Being in on that ride was good timing, however, the rubber is going to meet the road very soon for them, and I am not sure they are up to the task. Thanks for the pick, Unassisted, I'll be keeping this on my radar as well. Lots of appreciation potential if they can turn things around.

Redlegs23, I haven't yet, but I'll likely be putting a bit of money into RMBS, really risky, but great possible rewards as well. I have a bit more diggin to do before I comming. Thanks for the idea.

I will only put a fraction of my available capital into RMBS, so I still have to look at KMG yet, and I have added MVK and WTSLA to my list to check out.

Thanks guys.

GL

Energy, Gold and Silver.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

GL,

Market still looks a bit unsteady at the moment.
    Here's a few ideas:
    HOLX (on a pullback)
    GLW (stock down today, time to back up the truck) LCD play.
    UARM (Under Armour) recent IPO
    IRBT (iRobot) recent IPO -- looks overpriced but I love my Roomba!
    GILD - Avian Flu Play

Chip Stocks:
    BRCM
    QLGC

great for trading plays!

Definitively don't buy SHLD. Like the RainMan says: Kmart Sucks!

I have had good success with Asian ETFs, but they also look a bit overbought.
    (EWY - Korea on a pullback).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

IRBT is interesting, however, IMO they are 1.5-2 years away from explosive bottom line growth. I'll have this on the radar to recheck in Nov 2006. I think I have some time to put money to work elsewhere and see how the Scooba is received.

I have ridden SCSS for a quick 30%, but I am hanging around for more.

I still have a bit of $$ on the sidelines as I cannot seem to find the time to properly research anything, and when I do, I am finding that I don't like the stock well enough to purchase it.

Back to the drawing board. I'll be checking out NILE and UFCS next.

GL

I'm currently in VRTX and TRAD. Had a nice day today with VRTX. TRAD been making me the Incredible Hulk lately.

Looking at RMIX and AIRM right now.

Nice work on SCSS.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

Select Comfort (SCSS) is still rolling, up roughly 50% in 4 months and I think it has plenty of legs yet. Real happy with that one right now, but still looking for one more place to put some dough.

Dumped some more into JCI (pays a nice dividend/safe) and RSTI which is up 15+% for me as well. I seem to have the golden tough at the moment, ha ha.

I am checking out WTSLA to see if I believe in their turnaround.

Suprised this doesn't get more play, have to figure there are all sorts of guys playing in the market around here.

GL

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23
    Research Rambus (RMBS). It is involved in many different legal affairs right now but that is what makes it interesting. In a nutshell Rambus claims that a few companies infringed on its' patents for it's different computer memory chips. The three companies have been battling back for a few years but Rambus is starting to gain some momentum. In the past couple of weeks there's been a couple judgements come out basically saying that Rambus is not in the wrong. They also signed a $75 million contract with AMD during that two week period. Those two events have caused the stock price to rocket from $16 to $32. I really enjoyed that ride, but I'm hanging on to my shares due to the position Rambus is in right now. Most of that movement was on speculation because if things turn out like I think Rambus could be in position to make billions, yes billions, on royalty payments from their infringed patents.

A couple years ago Fred Hager claimed that Rambus could reach $1000 a share, it's currently around $33. I think that's far fetched, but I also think there's a ton of potential if things turn out positively for Rambus. Is Rambus risky? You bet. It's a high risk high reward type of deal.

There's plenty of research to be done on Rambus to form your own opinion. Regardless of what you decide, good luck.

Just remember, never invest more than you can afford to lose.
    I bought rambus about over a year ago after i heard about all these patent infringements and then it dropped all the way down to 16 then eventually jumped all the way back up to around $32 or so then hovered between $28-$31. Well i decided to sell all my shares b/c i was afraid it would drop again and now its all the way up to about $40, Im tempted to maybe buy in it again, what do you think?
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    I bought rambus about over a year ago after i heard about all these patent infringements and then it dropped all the way down to 16 then eventually jumped all the way back up to around $32 or so then hovered between $28-$31. Well i decided to sell all my shares b/c i was afraid it would drop again and now its all the way up to about $40, Im tempted to maybe buy in it again, what do you think?
    Did you buy in because you felt that Rambus was owed some royalties due to patent infringement? If so, I think you sold for the wrong reason since no major decision have been made regarding the patent infringement suits. If Rambus wins their current legal battle it could be at $100 by year end. If they win the ones following that who knows where it could end up. On the other hand, if they lose you know what could happen there too. I'm not going to recommend buying right now or not buying, but don't get in over your head if you do buy. I initially got in around $30 and when it was at $14 I bought a little more. I'm holding my position and hoping I can get some good news on their current legal battles. Everything that's happened recently has been extremely positive, which is why it's around $40 now compared to half that just a few months ago. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Select Comfort (SCSS) is still rolling, up roughly 50% in 4 months and I think it has plenty of legs yet. Real happy with that one right now, but still looking for one more place to put some dough.

Dumped some more into JCI (pays a nice dividend/safe) and RSTI which is up 15+% for me as well. I seem to have the golden tough at the moment, ha ha.

I am checking out WTSLA to see if I believe in their turnaround.

Suprised this doesn't get more play, have to figure there are all sorts of guys playing in the market around here.

GL

What's the latest news gonelong? Anything exciting or interesting to you right now? Hope you still have that golden touch.

I've done a little research on WTSLA as well, never pulled the trigger on it though. I also like JCI. Another one I've held for a while that has done pretty well for me is CTRN.

Just for fun, if you had to pick 3 stocks to take a long-term position in what would they be?

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23
    Did you buy in because you felt that Rambus was owed some royalties due to patent infringement? If so, I think you sold for the wrong reason since no major decision have been made regarding the patent infringement suits. If Rambus wins their current legal battle it could be at $100 by year end. If they win the ones following that who knows where it could end up. On the other hand, if they lose you know what could happen there too. I'm not going to recommend buying right now or not buying, but don't get in over your head if you do buy. I initially got in around $30 and when it was at $14 I bought a little more. I'm holding my position and hoping I can get some good news on their current legal battles. Everything that's happened recently has been extremely positive, which is why it's around $40 now compared to half that just a few months ago. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I originally bought it b/c i got a tip from a professor believing it would could make you rich based off all the patent infringement suits.

Im not really sure what to do right now im kicking myself in the but b/c its up $10 from what i originally purchased for, its really risky, yet could be really rewarding. Im also young enough where a loss wouldn't hurt me to much. I still dont know what to do
    THE University of Cincinnati

Turn Off Ads?