Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Alright, The Cincinnati Enquire Reported The Dan O Brien Said The 1st Order Of Business For The New Year Is To Sign Dunn Long Term. Here It Is Friday The 13th And Still No Contract. Instead They Have Focused On Rich Aurilia, Frank Menechino, Steve Torrealba, Rob Stratton, Grant Belfour, And Stated That Coffey/Weathers/Mercker/Hammonds Will All Have Chances To Save Games. This Is Frustrating As A Fan To See Your 1st Baseman Dealt For A Cash Saver To Clear Up The 4 OF Situation By Placing Dunn At 1st. And Then Not Signing Him To A Long Contract. He Has Said Plenty Of Times He Wants To Be A Red, But If You Keep Piddling Around He Isn't Going To Joke About Wanting To Go Elsewhere Like Last Year With Houston. I Wish Someone In This Organization Spoke The Truth.. We Were Promised A Winning Ball Club If We Forked Over The Money For The Stadium.. Never Happened. Then We Have Our Fire-Sale To And Begin Our Rebuilding System Which Requires Us To Sign A Squad Of 34-35 Year Olds In Randa, Weathers, Mercker, And Aurilia. On Top Of That Our Farm System Hasn't Improved Since Dan O Took Over.. It Has Actually Got Worse According To The Records. So This Offseason We Have Traded Casey For Williams, Prospects (Who Weren't Tendered.. I Know) For Womack, And Signed A Tommy John Recoveree, And Cut Hancock Who Is Better Than Bong, Simpson, Nelson, And Burns Who Are All On The 40 Man Roster. Oh.. Don't Let Me Leave Out Mr. Freel. This Guy Maybe A Hustler, But This Guy Has Issues With Alcohol.. And This Being His 2nd Offense Should Be One To Many And Be Removed From This Club. Same Goes For Bubba.. Cause Come Spring Training You Know He Is Going To Get Hammered And Get Busted.. It Has Happened The Past 2 Seasons. The New Owners Have A Plate Full In Front Of Them And Hopefully They Have The Knowledge To Right This Organization And Set A Plan That Should Of Been Inforced Years Ago. Wow! Tons Of Credit Goes Out To Anyone Who Reads This! I Just Needed To Vent.. I Got Screwed On An eBay Deal!

Re: Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Whoa! Take a breath, step away from the ledge. It'll be alright.

I think everyone agrees this needs to be done as a first order of business...Before he plays himself out of our market...I saw the D-Backs signed Webb to an extension through 2009 and every other team in the league chooses to sign young talent, why not the Reds??? Once players are signed for the long term other free agents(pitching) will realize that the ownership is serious about winning not rebuilding....

No long term contracts are going to be signed until the new ownership takes over and frankly I don't expect DanO to be around very long to have the chance to offer one to Dunn.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    No long term contracts are going to be signed until the new ownership takes over and frankly I don't expect DanO to be around very long to have the chance to offer one to Dunn.
    Pedro.. I Hope Not.. I Can't Recall A Good Sign, Trade, Deal, ETC He Has Made...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    Pedro.. I Hope Not.. I Can't Recall A Good Sign, Trade, Deal, ETC He Has Made...
    Not to nitpick -- but capitalizing every word you type makes your writing really difficult to read.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Not to nitpick -- but capitalizing every word you type makes your writing really difficult to read.
    Probably was all caps. I think the board changes that to just the first letter of each word as a shouting filter.

I think at this point the Reds have screwed around too long. He should have been signed 2 years ago. Now the price gets driven higher by the deals signed again this off-season and with the dearth of upcoming free agents I really think there is no incentive for Dunn to sign at this point because the security angle is gone. With what he made last year and what he would get in arbitration this year he is already cashing in. I am not a pessimist at heart but I don't see Dunn signing a LT deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I think at this point the Reds have screwed around too long. He should have been signed 2 years ago. Now the price gets driven higher by the deals signed again this off-season and with the dearth of upcoming free agents I really think there is no incentive for Dunn to sign at this point because the security angle is gone. With what he made last year and what he would get in arbitration this year he is already cashing in. I am not a pessimist at heart but I don't see Dunn signing a LT deal.
    If this was football, where contracts can be voided if a player is cut I might agree with you, but since baseball contracts are guaranteed, I think there is a good chance that the Reds could still get Dunn to sign a LTC if they offer him one prior to the start of this season. IMO it's hard to turn down a guaranteed 50-60 million when you know that you could get hurt and never have a chance to get that money again. Look at Nomar, he turned down 140 million. Think he regrets that now? I bet he does.
    Last edited by pedro; 01-13-2006 at 07:04 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Why offer Dunn long term when he's obviously not the type of player Dan O and Narron want, they want old guys who ground out a lot.
    Go Gators!

Didnt Dunn file for Arbitration? What do you guys think he will get?

Dunn is coming into what many feel are the prime years for a baseball player 27-32. I doubt he wants to make a ton of money and waste away on a team that never makes the playoffs. I would imagine that he will want to see a commitment from the Reds that they will not spend all their money on him and not be able to improve the team. Regardless of what many think, these ballplayers want to win.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

I doubt he wants to make a ton of money and waste away on a team that never makes the playoffs.
    Then he should avoid Houston... definitly by the time he's 30 they'll be in last eh?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Then he should avoid Houston... definitly by the time he's 30 they'll be in last eh?
    I doubt that. The Astros will spend what it takes to keep them in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    I doubt that. The Astros will spend what it takes to keep them in contention.
    Well if they don't maybe I'll go over to their board and drop little insult bombs.

I doubt the Astros will be in last for a LONG time. They still have a core of young players and a good farm system. Next season all hell will break lose and after the 2007 season it only gets better financially. The Astros will have a ton of money to spend in the next 2 off seasons, unlike the Cards who have HUGE contract that start getting bigger in the next 2 season with no real farm system.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Turn Off Ads?