Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Re: Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I wish I was a Brewers fan.
    I just wish we had some of their pitchers.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I wish I was a Brewers fan.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I think the Brewers have stolen the Reds' "Little Red Machine That Could" mojo. I think the Reds and Reds fans have always expected that when one of the smaller markets rises up to challenge the big boys of the NL Central it would be Cincinnati. Instead it looks like it's going to be the Brewers. That club's on the right page. Notice how Doug Melvin took over an organization without much pitching in the pipeline and still managed to build himself a solid young staff. His plan could have involved waiting on Ben Hendrickson and Mike Jones (who may never show up), but instead he went out and built a staff behind Sheets.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

From ESPN.com:

All-Star first baseman Mark Teixeira agreed to a $15.4 million, two-year contract Tuesday with the Texas Rangers, avoiding salary arbitration this year and next.
    Could be a starting point for negotiations with Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    what the Brewers got for Overbay puts to shame what the Reds got for Casey
    Seriously? I mean, we got DAVE WILLIAMS and only had to throw in an extra 1 million or so.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Any team's in trouble if loses its ace
    I don't think Houston will be in that much trouble. I don't think the Cardinals lose much if they lose Carpenter for 15 starts.

In theory, any team's in trouble if they lose their ace; in reality, some teams find themselves in a lot deeper trouble than others when their ace goes down.

It's my anecdotal observation that "little engine that could" teams need not only talent, but good breaks, to unseat standing powers.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-17-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Off the schneid

And unfortunately, some teams like ours, can only wish they had an ace to worry about losing.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'm pretty sure Capuano dials it harder than 91. His fastball is his best pitch, iirc, and he's got a good career K rate.
    Cap has an average fastball that sits aound 88 and rarely breaks 90. He lives off a great changeup which he throws well and often. He also has a good breaking ball which he uses very effectively against LH batters.

Capuano is an example of the fact that you can pitch well without a great fastball if you can command two offspeed pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66
    From ESPN.com:

All-Star first baseman Mark Teixeira agreed to a $15.4 million, two-year contract Tuesday with the Texas Rangers, avoiding salary arbitration this year and next.
    Could be a starting point for negotiations with Dunn.

Teixeira
    Year Ag Tm Lg G HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG
    +--------------+---+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+--
    2003 23 TEX AL 146 26 84 44 120 .259 .331 .480
    2004 24 TEX AL 145 38 112 68 117 .281 .370 .560
    2005 25 TEX AL 162 43 144 72 124 .301 .379 .575

Dunn
    Year Ag Tm Lg G HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG
    +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---
    2003 23 CIN NL 116 27 57 74 126 .215 .354 .465
    2004 24 CIN NL 161 46 102 108 195 .266 .388 .569
    2005 25 CIN NL 160 40 101 114 168 .247 .387 .540
    Even look at it this way - The Rangers are paying Teixeira the same amount the Pirates are paying Sean Casey.

I'm not sure that Dunn would do that - however - a 3 yr deal at 27M probably isn't that far off, plus you throw in the incentives.

Anybody knows who Dunn's agent is?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I don't think Houston will be in that much trouble. I don't think the Cardinals lose much if they lose Carpenter for 15 starts.

In theory, any team's in trouble if they lose their ace; in reality, some teams find themselves in a lot deeper trouble than others when their ace goes down.

It's my anecdotal observation that "little engine that could" teams need not only talent, but good breaks, to unseat standing powers.
    Houston has lost its ace and I'd argue it is in trouble unless he comes back. You're talking about a 60-run difference between Clemens and the mortal that tries to replace him. The Astros can't afford that. With that offense, they won't be able to stick with the playoff contenders unless the pitching goes lights out again.

I don't think the Astros are going to fall apart, but I don't think they're a serious playoff contender without Clemens.

I agree that the Cardinals could weather Carpenter. That's what a sick offense, class defense, strong bullpen and rotation depth will do for you. St. Louis is a machine.

You're right that smaller market teams rely on key players a bit more. For instance, the Twins can't compete unless Johan Santana gives the team his full Monty. The Brewers are probably in a similar situation with Sheets, though the pitching is still pretty good beyond Sheets and the offense is deep and getting better. IMO, what that team needs Sheets for is getting past the Cardinals. With him taking the ball every fifth day, the Brewers can (though not necessarily will) do it. Without that it becomes a much longer shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Cap has an average fastball that sits aound 88 and rarely breaks 90. He lives off a great changeup which he throws well and often. He also has a good breaking ball which he uses very effectively against LH batters.

Capuano is an example of the fact that you can pitch well without a great fastball if you can command two offspeed pitches.
    Sounds like I've overrated his velo. Though I'm pretty sure there's something up with his fastball, maybe it's sick movement on it (which wouldn't be out of sorts for a southpaw). I know it's a swing-and-miss pitch for him.

Originally Posted by Heath
    Brian Peters.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Brian Peters.
    According to John Fay (I know, I know), it's Greg Genske.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?