Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Dunn And His Long Term Contract

Before, LTC for Dunn was the first priority for the new year. Now neither side is inclinded to sign a LTC...

Trade coming?..?...?

Then again, looking at what wasn't done this offseason....would you sign a LTC with this team?
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 01-16-2006 at 05:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: O'B exhibits more ineptitude

Quote Originally Posted by 11BarryLarkin11
    The new ownership group undeniably clouds the issue, but I see very little downside for the new owners in signing Dunn to a multiyear deal. And, whether or not O'B is authorized to commence negotiations, he should at least be laying the groundwork for negotiations. He should be expressing serious interest and listening to determine what Dunn is looking for in a four year deal. Then, when the new ownership is authorized, he would be ready to talk specifics and lock in a new deal.
    Well, of course there's little downside to signing Dunn to a multiyear deal. There's also no downside to trading Eric Milton for Johan Santana, but it's not going to happen. It takes two to make a deal. IMO, you're still looking at this strictly from the Reds' perspective and discounting the possibility -- or probability, in my view -- that Adam Dunn has no interest in locking himself into this organization beyond 2007 unless things change dramatically. In which case, the only thing that's going to move talks forward is a different person sitting across the table.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

One of DanO's problems is he refuses to negotiate from Opening Day until the end of the season. So he loses valuable opportunities to lock guys up long term. For instance, after the trading deadline, when the team shows commitment to someone like lets say, Adam Dunn, the chance to seize on the goodwill is lost because they won't discuss contracts at that time.

Not that it matters, with the pitching this team has Babe Ruth, Henry Aaron and Ty Cobb locked up in their prime for five years wouldn't yield 85 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Well, of course there's little downside to signing Dunn to a multiyear deal. There's also no downside to trading Eric Milton for Johan Santana, but it's not going to happen. It takes two to make a deal. IMO, you're still looking at this strictly from the Reds' perspective and discounting the possibility -- or probability, in my view -- that Adam Dunn has no interest in locking himself into this organization beyond 2007 unless things change dramatically. In which case, the only thing that's going to move talks forward is a different person sitting across the table.
    Dunn has already gone on record during the season as being interested in a 3 year ~$22M dollar contract. So, at the very least, he was/is interested.

Houston's become quite a bit like the Braves--they get every last drop out of their slightly above average talent.

I wouldn't count them out.

The Brewers need at least another season to figure out how to win games that matter--they would be wise to snag a veteran winner (David Wells? Contreras? I know, I know, throw only soft fruit at me) to front their rotation--they've got one killer and a bunch of soft-tossers. That's usually a recipe for second place--unless you have an offense like the Cards; the Brewers, while very good offensively, are clearly a notch below the Cards vis. offense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I disagree that this gets fully pinned on the GM. If the LTC offers made aren't being accepted, what exactly is DanO supposed to do about it?
    Ask Adam what he wants, negotiate, perhaps compromise.... but get it done.

But don't just forget it. Remember, DOB (or was it the old owners?) won't discuss contracts during the season. Thus, it would have to be tabled until fall. Not a good idea.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    But don't just forget it. Remember, DOB (or was it the old owners?) won't discuss contracts during the season. Thus, it would have to be tabled until fall. Not a good idea.
    Adding to that it appears the season starts in January, the window for Dan O seems to be about 2 weeks at the end of the year
    Go Gators!

Good point, Krono.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

From the players' point of view is there any reason why should the remaining "big 3" for the Reds have any interest in signing until Castellini is officially in charge?

Until he speaks on Friday, they don't know which direction he might be taking the team.

If they sign with DanO now several disadvantageous things could happen. They might be giving up arbitration and some free agency years to be stuck in a status quo losing situation here. Or they might give up the same and suddenly become top grade trade bait ending up some place totally out of their control and liking. Or they could end up signing for a lot less this week than Castellini will put on the table next week as part of a hit the road running rebuilding plan.

As for DanO, what else can he say other than he is going to concentrate on getting them signed to 1 year deals? If they won't talk longer terms, he has to move in the 1 year direction to try and avoid arb is is closing in fast. Even if he has been told he is still going to be around for the season and what his budget and marching orders are, nobody else is going to believe it until Mr. C speaks it publically.

So let's see where all of this is heading this time next week before we start getting real worried.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 01-16-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Capuano's a bona fide hard tosser. Dude can air it out. Bush works at about the same velocity as Harang, might even throw a bit harder. Davis isn't a smoke thrower, but gimme a soft-tosser with 208 Ks any day.

Though I agree another frontline starter would make that team a beast.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Capuano's a bona fide hard tosser. Dude can air it out.
    Really? I honestly didn't realize that. The couple times I've seen the guy pitch, he didn't break 91 on the TV radar gun. But I'll take your word for it.

I agree, the Brewers have some interesting parts, and could make a run. But they're in deep doo if, for some reason, Sheets pulls up lame again and makes 15 starts next season or something. They have some nice offensive depth, but their rotation depth isn't much.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't believe this is the players saying they don't want to sign long term contracts with the Reds, I believe this is Dan O'Brien saying that the ownership of this club, either current or incoming, is telling him not to sign long term contracts with these players. This is why I believe that DanO will soon be gone, the owners don't want him negotiating these decisions.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Really? I honestly didn't realize that. The couple times I've seen the guy pitch, he didn't break 91 on the TV radar gun. But I'll take your word for it.

I agree, the Brewers have some interesting parts, and could make a run. But they're in deep doo if, for some reason, Sheets pulls up lame again and makes 15 starts next season or something. They have some nice offensive depth, but their rotation depth isn't much.
    I'm pretty sure Capuano dials it harder than 91. His fastball is his best pitch, iirc, and he's got a good career K rate.

Any team's in trouble if loses its ace, but the Brewers were 4th in the NL in ERA with Sheets missing significant time in 2005. That's a pretty solid staff, hardly a one-man show. Beyond that, Bush should improve the rotation (what the Brewers got for Overbay puts to shame what the Reds got for Casey) and the bullpen should be on the improve as well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wish I was a Brewers fan.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I wish I was a Brewers fan.
    no you don't.

Even in the bad valley the Reds are in right now, I'd never could be a Brewers fan.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?