Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Castinelli's 1/20/06 press conference

Castinelli's 1/20/06 press conference

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

One week from now, Robert Castellini will be outlining his plans for the Reds' future to the media and fans of Cincinnati. Assuming his bid is approved by MLB owners Thursday in Scottsdale -- and it will be -- Castellini will hold a press conference Friday at 4 p.m. at Great American Ball Park.

I know you all feel the same way, but I certainly wish we could just fast-forward there and get it over with. Two and a half months of speculation with no word from the man himself has worn me out a bit. Not to mention that just being able to ask questions of the Reds' majority owner and CEO will be a new experience for me, since I wasn't around for the Schott era, and I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Anyway, mark your calendars...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: Castinelli's 1/20/06 press conference

I hope at that presser he announces the termination of the following people:

John Allen
    Dan O'Brien
    Jerry Narron

Please, please, please make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life

John Allen
    Dan O'Brien
    Jerry Narron

I think if he's going to do it, he's already decided. But I doubt he'll do it without waiting a week to ten days.

And I doubt he'll fire Narron.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

John Allen
    Dan O'Brien
    Jerry Narron

Why Narron ? You dont think he deserves to at least start the season? Just curious asto who you think should replace Narron? Pinella? others?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I think if he's going to do it, he's already decided. But I doubt he'll do it without waiting a week to ten days.

I agree he won't do it the day after, but don't be the wet blanket, it's the only thing I have to hope for right now.

If Narron gets the axe I think it will be mid-season, after the new GM is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000
    Why Narron ? You dont think he deserves to at least start the season? Just curious asto who you think should replace Narron? Pinella? others?
    The Reds need to quit farming out the manager slot to the lowest paying bidder, the last quality manager we've had was Davey Johnson, and the results of the Reds since then haven't be great. Pony up the cash and hire a descent manager for once.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 01-13-2006 at 09:06 PM.

I agree he won't do it the day after, but don't be the wet blanket, it's the only thing I have to hope for right now.

If Narron gets the axe I think it will be mid-season, after the new GM is in place.

Man, I'm right with you. I bet MWM a steak dinner that DanO would get the sack. And I don't think Allen will be offered a new contract.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62

I think Allen and Narron will be kept this year, although I don't think Allen will have any power, he'll just be kept around to help with the transition.

As for DanO, he's toast IMO.

I do agree though, that it won't be announced for a week or so. No new owner is going to use his first press conference to fire the GM. Although I sure wouldn't be upset if I turned out to be wrong about that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Everyone will be gone by season's end, at the very latest. If Castellini needs any more proof than what currently lies in store for all of us viz. the 2006 Reds team, then the man needs to have his head examined. As they are currently constituted, they're a 75-win team, max.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Everyone will be gone by season's end, at the very latest. If Castellini needs any more proof than what currently lies in store for all of us viz. the 2006 Reds team, then the man needs to have his head examined. As they are currently constituted, they're a 75-win team, max.
    Nah, they are a 75 win team in the medium. They are a 85 win team max and a 65 win team if things mostly go bad. Which means the medium is much to low anyway. Doesn't really matter, Cast has alot of work to do and then the people under him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Nah, they are a 75 win team in the medium. They are a 85 win team max and a 65 win team if things mostly go bad. Which means the medium is much to low anyway. Doesn't really matter, Cast has alot of work to do and then the people under him.
    This team won 73 games last year and no noticeable improvement in the pitching staff and dumbing down of the team by Dan O'Brien and to the approval of Jerry Narron. This team will start Aurilia at 3b and Woehack will man 2b, because of the veteran presence they bring to the lineup and while Ed E and Freel are told they are to battle to the death for a chance to ph while the other rots on the bench most days. Why am I so pessimistic??? It happened last year with Freel and Lopez being benched for (then hitting .192) Rich Aurilia and D'Angelo Jimenez.

This team will be lucky to get to 70 wins if Narron and O'Brien stay til the break if both are fired immediately then you might be able to salvage something out of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    This team won 73 games last year and no noticeable improvement in the pitching staff and dumbing down of the team by Dan O'Brien and to the approval of Jerry Narron. This team will start Aurilia at 3b and Woehack will man 2b, because of the veteran presence they bring to the lineup and while Ed E and Freel are told they are to battle to the death for a chance to ph while the other rots on the bench most days. Why am I so pessimistic??? It happened last year with Freel and Lopez being benched for (then hitting .192) Rich Aurilia and D'Angelo Jimenez.

This team will be lucky to get to 70 wins if Narron and O'Brien stay til the break if both are fired immediately then you might be able to salvage something out of this season.
    I heard that in 2002 and 2004 as well. The pitching can just improve by being more serviceable, which happens in better luck years for periods. Heck, if the 2002 team had the 2005 offense, they would have probably flipped their record around.

The truth is, the Reds have been at a "75" game medium for around a decade now. They never fall/fell as far as the Tigers, Brewers, Royals or Pirates, but they can never transcend into anything above 500. A constant medium of 75 wins.

I heard that in 2002 and 2004 as well. The pitching can just improve by being more serviceable, which happens in better luck years for periods. Heck, if the 2002 team had the 2005 offense, they would have probably flipped their record around.

The truth is, the Reds have been at a "75" game medium for around a decade now. They never fall/fell as far as the Tigers, Brewers, Royals or Pirates, but they can never transcend into anything above 500. A constant medium of 75 wins.
    they got that potential on the team yes, maybe even enough to surprise teams and maybe approach 90, but until we started getting Lopez in the lineup everyday things didnt start clicking, and we still werent fully utilizing the lineup to its full potential (Dunn batting 6th or 7th???? Assinine waste of one of the most dangerous hitters in the NL). You get someone in there making the managerial day to day decisions that understands his personal then you will have a great chance to see even more runs scored for Cincinnati and if we get some more improvement from a full year of Vern Ruhle handling the pitchers... the potential is there, Im just not very confident in the guys running it.
    Last edited by Slyder; 01-13-2006 at 10:58 PM.

This team could win 85 in a pig's eye.

You vastly underestimate the unmaskable rot that is this team's pitching.
    Last edited by M2; 01-13-2006 at 11:20 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Saying a team has the potential for a 20 game range (65-85) in wins is essentially saying nothing at all.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Saying a team has the potential for a 20 game range (65-85) in wins is essentially saying nothing at all.
    It's a Schroedinger's Cat projection.
    Last edited by M2; 01-14-2006 at 12:27 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?