Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dunn files for arbitration (1/13)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Dunn files for arbitration (1/13)

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I don't remember exactly where I read that as it has been early December since Casey was traded but I distinctly remember reading that.
    I brought it up at the time of the trade, because Dunn made the statement about not wanting to play 1B in an interview last year. But as pedro said, Dunn himself hasn't reiterated this sentiment since the trade — IMO a smart move, even if he does still feel that way.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He hasn't come right out and said he doesn't want to play first, but he has talked around it some. He said he prefers left cause he can move around and you just stand there at first (well I hope he does a little more than just stand there). And then he also said something to the effect he has worked hard to learn to play left good enough he won't lose games for the team and he is a little afraid of what might happen at first. So I don't think that it is he going to refuse to play there or anything, he is just more concerned about looking like a fool and hurting the team.

I think he said a few things in the Hal article right after Sean was traded, but he also talked about it on the Hot Stove League show. I remember that clearly cause I was driving home from DC and I was on some psuedo mountian top in WV and was able to pick up WLW as clear as a bell. So of course I was hanging on to Adam's every word.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

"I've never not felt comfortable , I've played a long time, so it's a natural position. I don't care if I don't play there for 3 months and then get sent there for one game. I don't feel out of place. (But) I like to run around the outfield, I don't like to just stand around.
    Adam Dunn on 1st base 12-05 Reds Report
    (Quoted prior to Casey Trade)
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-15-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    I'm not sure why we automatically assume that the Reds haven't already offered Dunn a better-than-market-value LTC deal. I do not believe that money alone will keep Dunn around. Throwing ungodly amounts of cash at the kid is not the key to signing Dunn long term.

Right now Dunn has no incentive whatsoever to sign. This team is at least 5-6 years away from being a contender instead of a pretender. The farm system is bare. The front office is in shambles. There is no plan in place for this afternoon - let alone tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year. The only incentive to stay has been his clubhouse commraderie, and now that Casey is gone and talk has turned to trading Kearns, the Reds seem bent on dismantling that.

I honestly think that the Reds cannot wave enough money under his nose to keep him from bolting at the first chance.

risk of injury over the next two years is an incentive.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?