Turn Off Ads?

Thread: LA Gets Baez From Rays For Prospects

LA Gets Baez From Rays For Prospects

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2005&fext=.jsp

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- With Eric Gagne returning from elbow surgery and eligible for free agency at the end of 2006, the Dodgers Saturday shored up their bullpen for the near-term (and maybe longer) by acquiring All-Star closer Danys Baez and former All-Star middle reliever Lance Carter from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for young pitchers Edwin Jackson and Chuck Tiffany.

The 28-year-old Baez, a Cuban-born right-hander, saved 41 games for Tampa Bay in 2005, fifth in the American League, and has 102 saves in four seasons. He started his career with Cleveland, was released after the 2003 season and signed with Tampa Bay.

Baez is under contract for 2006 with a $4 million salary and is eligible for free agency after the 2006 season. The Dodgers are paying Gagne $10 million this year and the club has a 2007 option for $12 million, but Gagne can void the option, receive a $1 million buyout and also declare free agency.

The 31-year-old Carter, an All-Star in 2003, threw 57 innings in 39 games with a 4.90 ERA in 2005. He is expected to pick up some of the innings lost by the departures of Duaner Sanchez and Giovanni Carrara. He underwent Tommy John elbow reconstruction twice, in 1996 and 2000.

The 22-year-old Jackson, once the top prospect in the Dodgers farm system, has been a disappointment the past two seasons, plagued by a sore forearm in 2004 and continued inconsistency in 2005.

Tiffany, 22 later this month, is the first top prospect general manager Ned Colletti has traded during his extreme makeover of the Dodgers' roster. Tiffany, a left-hander, was taken in the second round of the 2003 draft. But some in the organization believe he had been passed by 20-year-old left-hander Scott Elbert, taken in the first round of the 2004 draft.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LA Gets Baez From Rays For Prospects

nice trade for the Eggs. Baez is somewhat expensive and is nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    nice trade for the Eggs. Baez is somewhat expensive and is nothing special.
    that's pretty much what I thought as well.

it's makes you wonder if Gagne is going to be ready for the Dodgers.
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-14-2006 at 09:14 PM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Dodgers want to win and they certainly have prospects to deal. If Baez pitches well and they make the playoffs then they will have got what they wanted.

got alil captain in u?

he pitched in a pretty tough division so he had to be doin somethign right

TB gave up a lot, but I love this deal for them. They get some guys with some high upside. Would love to see Jackson return to form in TB.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I wonder if Edwin Jackson has been keeping an injury quiet. I know that the Dodgers' AAA affiliate is tough on pitchers, but his ratios have totally fallen apart.
    http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?3816

Tiffany seems like he could be a stud if he can pitch deeper into games. He's 20 years old.
    http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?4229

As for the Dodgers, this may be a steep price, but I think Baez is a good target. He can close and set up effectively. Whatever happens with Gagne, they'll have some flexibility.

The Rays won't say it, but I bet Chad Orvella gets the first shot to be closer in the spring. Remember this in your fantasy drafts.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

I think the Rays got some guys who with a change of location will be better off.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Turn Off Ads?