Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonds Stirs Up The Emotions

Bonds Stirs Up The Emotions

I don't know if you guys are interested in reading about Barry Bonds or want to bring up the issue again, but I thought this was a good article. This will dominate the baseball news in 2006.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...jim&id=2289730

By Jim Caple

So, with Barry Bonds a mere 47 home runs away from the most renowned record in baseball, and with the media poised to huddle nearby for breathless hourly news reports ("Barry is at his locker ... He's sitting back in his leather recliner ... He's picking up the remote ... I'm not sure ... but I think ... yes, now I'm quite certain -- Barry is definitely changing the channel ... Wait, no. He's just turning down the volume.''), there is one major question nearly as important as whether he passes Hank Aaron:

How will you feel about it?

Will you be caught up in the moment as you were in 1998 during the epic McGwire-Sosa home run chase, flipping open your cell phone every 10 minutes for an update, racing to the TV to watch every at-bat and paddling your dinghy into crowded McCovey Cove for the chance of catching a million-dollar baseball? Or will you ignore the chase and the hype because you stubbornly consider Hammering Hank the real king, the true hero who hit all those home runs the old-fashioned natural way? Or will you actively root against Bonds because you believe his numbers are tainted, heckling him every time he steps into the batter's box, telling him at every opportunity that he stinks and his mother dressed him funny?

We'll see what the nation's reaction will be as Bonds approaches Aaron (assuming he's healthy enough to do so), but here's one guarantee. It will not be the national lovefest McGwire and Sosa received in 1998, when those two sluggers captivated us amid gloomier news of a White House scandal and a falling stock market.

For one thing, there is so much hysteria over the steroid issue now that any player who looks like he might have ever ingested anything stronger than Wheaties is virtually considered a criminal. Why these same fans have no similar suspicions/concerns about the size and muscles of football players is unclear, but that's the way it is. People care about the numbers in baseball, so they are very sensitive anytime they may have to memorize a new record.

Secondly, whether their feelings are justified or not, most fans don't like Bonds. Whenever I write about Barry I'm flooded with e-mail from angry fans who consider him a cheat, a disgrace to baseball and a despicable person who probably doesn't return his videos on time. During his excruciating rehab last summer, I wrote that I missed watching Bonds bat, but based on the e-mail I received you would have thought I had called for replacing the national anthem with the pregame sacrifice of a dozen kittens. I get used to a lot of hate mail, but this was the first time that everyone disagreed with me, instead of just Yankees fans.

Well, that's not quite right. I did receive a compliment or two, but they were from fans in San Francisco.

Which is only natural. Fans always root for the hometown player. As long as the player continues to produce on the field, no one cares what he does off the field. They cheer Gary Sheffield in New York, and he apparently has the same alleged steroid history as Bonds. They cheered for Albert Belle in Cleveland. They cheered for John Rocker in Atlanta before he started blowing all those games.

So as long as Barry keeps sending fastballs into orbit, San Francisco fans will continue to cheer and applaud and bow before him as usual, while waving rubber chickens at any opponent who has the temerity to walk him. And if Bonds should break Aaron's record, there will be so many tears shed that they'll have to raise the span on the Golden Gate Bridge.

As for the rest of the country? I suspect some fans will get swept up by the drama and finally come to appreciate Bonds. Others will follow the chase with a detached interest for no other reason than it is the biggest record in sports. Others will openly root against Bonds, disparaging his achievements on talk radio and in blogs.

And most fans will follow the story (it will be hard to not do so, sports coverage being what it is today) with a good amount of interest, only wishing the whole time that it was Ken Griffey Jr. instead.
    ...but we will all watch.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds Stirs Up The Emotions

yep if it were Junior closing in on the record I and the rest of the Reds nation would keep a permanent... uh, let's just say the makers of the little blue pill would take a big financial hit. Yes I apologize.

Bonds arrogance and attitude has produced most or all of the jeers he hears but personally I like the guy OK and always stop what I'm doing when he's at the plate. Until there's some sort of evidence that the roids improve hand-eye coordination I guess I'll be in his small little corner.

if i were a major league pitcher and bonds was coming up to face me, the only way he would get on base, would be due to a little chin music, if you get my drift

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    ...but we will all watch.
    This fan won't be watching. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch Bonds. From the tone of the article, I would surmise that a lot of the people watching will be doing so to root against Bonds. I don't consider that kind of rooting interest to be a good use of my time. I'd rather watch players with skills I can admire.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg
    Until there's some sort of evidence that the roids improve hand-eye coordination I guess I'll be in his small little corner.
    A lot of people use this argument, but here is my objection:

Obviously steroids improve your strength, and in some cases quickness. A bat's weight is a big issue for players, but the lighter the bat seems to a player, the quicker the swing will be, and the easier it will be to control his swing, there for making contact more.

As far as Sosa and McGwire, they struck out a lot. But Bonds' swing is much better than theirs, and he was very good when he was skinny too. So he def. has very good contact, but I still find it hard to believe his bat control and quick swing is all pure at this age. just a thought.

Bond's will most likely break the record and in an interesting twist help rewrite A-Rods legacy imo.

Think about it, down the road A-Rod's the one who can break the record Bonds sets and A-Rod's public image is squeaky clean good guy but a lot of folks dislike him for the contract and lack of championships.

Personally, I like the guy and don't hold either thing against him but you can rest assured if he comes to the rescue of baseball and and its fans by supplanting the black mark Bonds puts in the books he'll go down as one of the most revered players in MLB history.

I know I'll be tuning in and cheering for the guy when it comes time.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Why walk him with four,when you can drill him with one?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Until there's some sort of evidence that the roids improve hand-eye coordination I guess I'll be in his small little corner.
    The hand-eye coordination was there to begin with. Steroids merely makes him stronger, allowing the ball to go farther when hit.

Add steroids to me, you'd get a guy who still couldn't make the major leagues, but I'd be stronger. I could bench press more, I would become bigger.

Add them to a major leaguer, and they simply become stronger as well, which is a little different scenario, because unlike me, a major leaguer can already hit a baseball. Now the ball goes a lot further and balls that would have been long fly outs are homeruns.

No one is arguing that steroids is improving hand-eye coordination, so your premise seems a bit flawed.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    This fan won't be watching. I wouldn't walk across the street to watch Bonds. From the tone of the article, I would surmise that a lot of the people watching will be doing so to root against Bonds. I don't consider that kind of rooting interest to be a good use of my time. I'd rather watch players with skills I can admire.
    Explain to me why the Giants have had the one of the best road attendance figures over the past few years. It's not for Marquis Grissom or JT Snow.

They will be watching. We all will.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

They will be watching. We all will.
    Not me. Never have; never will. Barry Bonds holds no interest to me whatsoever, for so many reasons.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Not me. Never have; never will. Barry Bonds holds no interest to me whatsoever, for so many reasons.
    I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule, but most people are still in awe of his abilities that they will stop and watch. We all knew that McGwire and Sosa were on the juice, but we still watched. Barry Bonds is better than either one of those guys. He has a presence that can't be denied.

Yes he does, he just got you to reply to this post.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to the rule, but most people are still in awe of his abilities that they will stop and watch. We all knew that McGwire and Sosa were on the juice, but we still watched. Barry Bonds is better than either one of those guys. He has a presence that can't be denied.
    It has nothing to do with his talent or presence. Rather, it has a whole lot to do with his holier-than-Thou, the-world-owes-me-a-living, I'm-too-big-for-this-sport attitude that he flaunts constantly in his actions.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

That's at least two of us, TB. My interest in Barry Bonds ended a long, long time ago. I can only wish that he somehow misses the record.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yes he does, he just got you to reply to this post.

Turn Off Ads?