Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joel Hanrahan Anyone?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Joel Hanrahan Anyone?

Hanrahan was just DA'd by the dodgers to make room for Beaz and Carter. He is only 24 And This Is From Rotoworld.com / LA Times:

Dodgers designated RHP Joel Hanrahan for assignment.
    Chuck Tiffany wasn't on the 40-man roster, so the Dodgers had to free up a spot as a result of the Danys Baez trade. Hanrahan, once regarded as one of the team's top prospects, has had his stock drop two years running. There's a good chance that he'll clear waivers.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Joel Hanrahan Anyone?

Like Edwin Jackson, I wonder if this guy got hurt, and nobody's saying it. Las Vegas shell-shock doesn't explain his total collapse.

Good call on your part. More upside than some of the chaff on our 40-man, although he's a longshot.

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/bas...layer.cgi?4492
    Stick to your guns.

How many DFA'd players has O'Brien picked up that weren't at one time affiliated with the Rangers?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    How many DFA'd players has O'Brien picked up that weren't at one time affiliated with the Rangers?
    Or Astros.. good point!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Didn't see anything on being injured.

As long as he isn't another Balfour, absolutely.

Yeah. With the Reds farm system and 40 man roster, there SHOULD BE no way this guy clears waivers.

Flip a coin, like most Dan'O decisions.

He looks worth a shot to me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Didn't see anything on being injured.

As long as he isn't another Balfour, absolutely.
    Just to clarify, I haven't seen anything saying that he or Edwin Jackson have been injured.

I'm merely extrapolating that if a guy blows away Double-A, then goes to Las Vegas and gets shelled (and his ratios fall apart), then he goes back to Double-A and he sucks (and his ratios fall apart), I usually assume the guy is concealing an injury.

It's getting very trendy to say that pitching in the PCL (particularly in Las Vegas) is stunting the growth of LA's pitchers. Curiously, for years, the Dodgers cranked out great pitchers despite pitching Triple-A in the CoorsField-like confines of Albuquerque.

My theory is that either the Dodgers are not taking care of their young arms and/or this is the come uppance for overdrafting and putting a lot of faith in high school guys.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 01-15-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Flip a coin, like most Dan'O decisions.

He looks worth a shot to me.
    Somebody better let DanO know, because I doubt he keeps an eye on the waiver wire.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Just to clarify, I haven't seen anything saying that he or Edwin Jackson have been injured.

I'm merely extrapolating that if a guy blows away Double-A, then goes to Las Vegas and gets shelled (and his ratios fall apart), then he goes back to Double-A and he sucks (and his ratios fall apart), I usually assume the guy is concealing an injury.

It's getting very trendy to say that pitching in the PCL (particularly in Las Vegas) is stunting the growth of LA's pitchers. Curiously, for years, the Dodgers cranked out great pitchers despite pitching Triple-A in the CoorsField-like confines of Albuquerque.

My theory is that either the Dodgers are not taking care of their young arms and/or this is the come uppance for overdrafting and putting a lot of faith in high school guys.
    Great post. IMO, the Dodgers have become wildly overaggressive with their pitching development. They want to get everyone to the majors at age 22 and all of their arms wind up looking like washouts by age 24 (which is where the rational graduation point for a pitching prospect). My guess is what you'll see from that system is pitchers going from untouchables to relatively cheap pickups with most of the successes coming for the teams that get them in trade after the Dodgers lose interest.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Did you hear about Hanrahan's wife?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Shoulder Tendonitis in early 2004, then shut down with a "tired shoulder" Sept. 1, 2004. Sounds minor, but you never know if there's more, I guess. Still worth signing, given the current state of the roster. Adding pitchers with actual skills in place of guys who will never be worth more than a last roster spot is always a positive.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Bring him in I am all for the 9 gambles and 3 succeding rule

Hanrahan and Harang?

I like it
    Go Gators!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Hanrahan and Harang?

I like it
    You'd drink a Sier......er, uh,.....Sprite to that eh?

Turn Off Ads?