Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

  1. #1
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,840

    Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2293492

    1. Terms are not yet disclosed.
    2. There's a typo in the article. He's had 949 career at-bats.
    3. One year deal
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 01-15-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    glad to hear..

    Dan O.. Hey.. 1st Base? Guy named Adam Dunn.. Hits about 40 homers a year..

  4. #3
    got alil captain in u?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bridgeport Ohio
    Posts
    4,839

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    if he's not in talks with dunn on a ltc he should be ran out of his office with people with torches and pitchforks chasing him

  5. #4
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    He doesn't play utility infielder and he doesn't hit sacrifice flies.

    You know, like National League-type players
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  6. #5
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,932

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    So the Reds had time to work out a deal with Valentin but not Dunn? Outstanding!
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  7. #6
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    So the Reds had time to work out a deal with Valentin but not Dunn? Outstanding!
    Dunn has incentive to stall -- the closer he gets to arbitration, the more the pressure will be on the Reds to come up with a better long-term offer/1-year contract as opposed to letting an arbitrator decide what the value of one of the game's best young power hitters is.

    I don't think the Reds are totally at fault for not having some sort of deal completed for Dunn. There's simply no reason for him to settle for whatever terms they offer right now.

    That's just good negotiating on his/his agent's part.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  8. #7
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,804

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

    The Reds have avoided arbitration with Javier Valentin and signed him to a one-year, $1.15 million deal.

    With Jason LaRue's signing just before Christmas, the Reds have brought back the most productive catcher duo in the majors (.268, 28 HR, 110 RBI between them) for just over $5 million this season. They made $3.45 million last year, so the Reds really couldn't have asked for more when it comes to the finances.

    There are still five players eligible for arbitration -- Adam Dunn, Aaron Harang, Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Wily Mo Pena. It's been a couple of years since the Reds actually went to a hearing with someone, and I'd be surprised if it happens this year.

  9. #8
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Who wants to bet Harang, Mo, Lopez, And Kearns all sign before Dunn

  10. #9
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,979

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    He needs to bikini-wax that stache. Pay him an extra 20 grand to get it done post haste.

  11. #10
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    Who wants to bet Harang, Mo, Lopez, And Kearns all sign before Dunn
    Cause you know..signing Dunn to a LTC is #1 Priority of the new year...

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Posts
    156

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    So the Reds had time to work out a deal with Valentin but not Dunn? Outstanding!
    I would have to think O'Brien has tried to negotiate with Dunn. He made a public statement about his intention. Aside from whether O'Brien has negotiated in a competent manner (open to debate), the key question is whether Dunn and his agent are willing to negotiate with O'Brien and the Reds. From Dunn's perspective, this cannot seem like a great franchise to marry long-term. During his stint with the team, the GM has changed, ownership has changed, his role has changed, and multiple popular players have been dealt, and the bedrock of the team for twenty years, Larkin, went through some rough negotiations and relations with the team and management. Griffey has been mentioned in a series of negotiations for failed trades that were denied and then later admitted (Padres, White Sox), despite the fact that he has some informal agreement with the owner regarding trades. It would be one thing for Dunn to see all of this if it resulted in a winning record and bright future. Instead, he sees no real pitching upgrades, despite the long-standing pitching problems. He sees a low quality infield logjam develop to replace the outfield one from years past. And despite his comments to the media regarding Tony Womack, I have to think he knows what OPS is and how significant (or rather insignificant) Womack's numbers are. After all, Dunn appears to maximize his OPS numbers through power (nature) and plate discipline (nurture). This front office cannot impress or inspire him.

    It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't want to negotiate a long-term deal with Cincinnati. I'll be sad to see him go, but why shouldn't he maximize his earning potential through arbitration and then go where he can win once he's a free agent? This franchise is hardly worth a long-term commitment in light of the Reds' ML and minor league rosters. If nothing else, I wouldn't be surprised if he was waiting to see if new ownership brought any changes before signing on for more than a one year deal.

  13. #12
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,840

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I don't think the Reds are totally at fault for not having some sort of deal completed for Dunn.
    Perhaps you are limiting your assessment to the recent past (the last year or so).

    Had Dan O'Brien not been sitting on a pencil in his first months in office, he could have signed Dunn long term in December of '03.

    Had Jim Bowden foreseen what many of us saw in Dunn, he could have gotten it done before getting canned.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

  14. #13
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    I would have to think O'Brien has tried to negotiate with Dunn. He made a public statement about his intention. Aside from whether O'Brien has negotiated in a competent manner (open to debate), the key question is whether Dunn and his agent are willing to negotiate with O'Brien and the Reds. From Dunn's perspective, this cannot seem like a great franchise to marry long-term. During his stint with the team, the GM has changed, ownership has changed, his role has changed, and multiple popular players have been dealt, and the bedrock of the team for twenty years, Larkin, went through some rough negotiations and relations with the team and management. Griffey has been mentioned in a series of negotiations for failed trades that were denied and then later admitted (Padres, White Sox), despite the fact that he has some informal agreement with the owner regarding trades. It would be one thing for Dunn to see all of this if it resulted in a winning record and bright future. Instead, he sees no real pitching upgrades, despite the long-standing pitching problems. He sees a low quality infield logjam develop to replace the outfield one from years past. And despite his comments to the media regarding Tony Womack, I have to think he knows what OPS is and how significant (or rather insignificant) Womack's numbers are. After all, Dunn appears to maximize his OPS numbers through power (nature) and plate discipline (nurture). This front office cannot impress or inspire him.

    It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't want to negotiate a long-term deal with Cincinnati. I'll be sad to see him go, but why shouldn't he maximize his earning potential through arbitration and then go where he can win once he's a free agent? This franchise is hardly worth a long-term commitment in light of the Reds' ML and minor league rosters. If nothing else, I wouldn't be surprised if he was waiting to see if new ownership brought any changes before signing on for more than a one year deal.

    I see your points.. I just don't understand why Dunn would come out and say he wants to stay in Cincinnati. But if he does feel as you suggest then if I am the Reds I sign him to a 1 year deal and let him go out and mash homeruns and then deal him. Not a Casey deal where you get nothing in return, but for a ligitament starter and prospects.

  15. #14
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Perhaps you are limiting your assessment to the recent past (the last year or so).

    Had Dan O'Brien not been sitting on a pencil in his first months in office, he could have signed Dunn long term in December of '03.

    Had Jim Bowden foreseen what many of us saw in Dunn, he could have gotten it done before getting canned.
    So so true!

  16. #15
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Reds avoid arbitration with Valentin

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I see your points.. I just don't understand why Dunn would come out and say he wants to stay in Cincinnati. But if he does feel as you suggest then if I am the Reds I sign him to a 1 year deal and let him go out and mash homeruns and then deal him. Not a Casey deal where you get nothing in return, but for a ligitament starter and prospects.
    They got about all they could for Sean Casey IMO. Getting rid of his contract was the main thing and they did that. I think that is probably the best thing that DanO has done since being employed by the Reds.

    What he has used the money on is horrendous.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25