Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers/Colts: Eating Some Crow?

Re: Steelers/Colts: Eating Some Crow?

Not even close.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I cant believe the Colts played like that. They flat out got dominated in every facet of the game and had no business coming as close as they did. As a Colts fan im now done getting excited about the playoffs because they will never win the super bowl as long as Peyton Manning is the quarterback and Tony Dungy is the coach. In the immortal words of Bill Walton that was very dissappointing.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Is crow better served cold or is there anyway to cook it to make it better? Im going to be eating alot of it.

There really needs to be an investigation of the Polamalu reversal. The issue is not whether Polamalu intercepted the pass, the issue is-- was there "incontrovertable visual evidence" for the call on the field that he did intercept the pass to be overturned. Of course there wasn't. A reversal that defies all common sense.

Of course I assume that we all agree that there is plenty of "incontrovertable visual evidence" that the Indianapolis Colts are the most overated team in the history of sport.

[QUOTE=Mutaman

Of course I assume that we all agree that there is plenty of "incontrovertable visual evidence" that the Indianapolis Colts are the most overated team in the history of sport.[/QUOTE]
    Im a Colts fan and I think you can throw Peyton Manning as one of the most overrated players in the history of sports as well.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The NFL really needs to take a hard look at what constitutes "possession" for the purposes of making a reception or interception.

With this call, the call last week against Tampa in the end zone, etc. there needs to be an official league clarification of the matter. All of this crap about two feet down, knee down, falling to the ground untouched, falling to the ground while touched, making a "football move," etc. It's too confusing, and the league needs to simplify and/or clarify the rules so that these calls don't end up in confusion.

And, someone needs to tell officials that it's OK to say "The replay does not show anything conclusive, the ruling on the field stands."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I'm by no means a Steelers fan...

But if you ever wanted to believe that games are influenced by the NFL offices in New York, this was the best piece of evidence you're ever going to get.

That was, quite possibly, one of the worst screwjob replay calls I've ever seen in my life -- and after a LONG time that the official was talking to someone. Surprise, surprise -- the league's top team and best story in the postseason gets new life and scores a touchdown.

You combine that with the horrific "No call" pass interference on Randel-El earlier in the game, the "no call" encroachment in the 4th quarter, and the "no-call" safety against Manning...

It's suspicious...
    I'd say that it's beyond suspicious at this point.

There wasn't a way in the world that INT could have been overturned unless an official were looking to somehow benefit the Colts. Using his own logic, no receiver could catch a pass while on the ground without then popping up to his feet while still controlling the ball. It's inconceivable that the play could be overturned. But it was.

And yes, the Pass Interference was ridiculous. The "no call" Encroachment moreso, even if it caused less actual damage. It's impossible not to call a penalty on that one way or the other. There's no "start over" rule when an entire defensive line jumps offsides and causes the right Guard (or Tackle?) to stand up from his set position. It can't happen. But it did.

Pittsburgh overcame all of it (by some miracle named "drunk kicker"), but you'll lose 99 times out of 100 when you have to overcome a team the caliber of the Colts, a crowd as loud as theirs, AND an officiating crew that is consistently looking for some way to allow them not to lose. It's almost inconceivable to me that an officiating crew can be that bad without some kind of direction to be that bad.

Unless one of those officials gets fired this week, I have zero confidence in the integrity of officiating in the NFL. If one gets fired, I'll have a little more confidence than that. But not much.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I cant believe the Colts played like that. They flat out got dominated in every facet of the game and had no business coming as close as they did. As a Colts fan im now done getting excited about the playoffs because they will never win the super bowl as long as Peyton Manning is the quarterback and Tony Dungy is the coach. In the immortal words of Bill Walton that was very dissappointing.
    I didn't watch the game, but what exactly did Peyton do wrong? His stat line looked pretty good.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I didn't watch the game, but what exactly did Peyton do wrong? His stat line looked pretty good.
    He couldn't block for himself.

That's about that he did wrong except for throw an interception that won't show up in the box score.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    He had happy feet and was awful in the first half when the Colts dug the hole that was just too deep, I have seen it time and time again with Peyton, a great regular season quarterback who just doesnt have what it takes to lead his team to the promised land. The offensive line play did not help today but he made alot of bad throws today. Alot of what im saying is just releasing some frustration but he still needs to get improve in pressure situations.

I'm shocked that you are blaming Manning. His offensive line let him down all game long.

Yes, he made some bad throws, but as far as I could see, it was because he was constantly rushed.... by a defense that the offense couldn't block.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 01-15-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I'm shocked that you are blaming Manning. His offensive line let him down all game long.
    I agree, its just frustration talking. I think the Steelers out played and out game planned the Colts. It actually think most of the blame can be laid on the feet of whoever it was that decided it was smart to have most of the starters take a month off.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I agree, its just frustration talking. I think the Steelers out played and out game planned the Colts. It actually think most of the blame can be laid on the feet of whoever it was that decided it was smart to have most of the starters take a month off.
    I love Tony Dungy like no other coach in the NFL, as a Buccaneers fan, but watching today was a sobering reminder as to why the franchise decided that they had to go in a different direction.

I don't know what it is about him, but his teams just do not show up ready to play in the postseason. The way the Colts looked in the first half reminded me so much of the way Tampa would come out against teams in the first half in the playoffs. Sometimes their defense would hold the fort down until the offense got in synch...other times, they'd just get blown out and the game would be over before halftime.

I think the problem with the Colts today started at the very top.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I love Tony Dungy like no other coach in the NFL, as a Buccaneers fan, but watching today was a sobering reminder as to why the franchise decided that they had to go in a different direction

I think the problem with the Colts today started at the very top.
    I agree. Tony Dungy is a great person and is a great coach but he is not the coach to lead you to the superbowl.

And, someone needs to tell officials that it's OK to say "The replay does not show anything conclusive, the ruling on the field stands."
    Absolutely. It should be so simple. If the replay doesn't show that the call on the field was clearly wrong, then don't reverse it. Thats what the rule says.

Turn Off Ads?