Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers/Colts: Eating Some Crow?

Re: Steelers/Colts: Eating Some Crow?

They were asleep in the first half. Manning got absolutely no protection. That glimmer of hope made it interesting, but damn!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well I can look on the brightside of things, now I can stop being dissappointed by the Colts and move on to being dissappointed by the Reds.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I didn't watch the game, but what exactly did Peyton do wrong? His stat line looked pretty good.
    He (they) had a horrendous first half (123 total yards at halftime, 74 in the air)...and most of that came on that last drive right before the half. They then recovered somewhat in the second thanks to James being able to run the ball. But the pressure on Peyton was so intense he was throwing the ball all over the place and was out of rhythm.

Dungy was just out coached IMO by Cowher and LeBeau. And I'm sure they were studying (and mimicked) the SD game.

Mike Doss of Indy had a terrible game.

The officiating? You guys have already covered it well. It was downright atrocious. Morelli's explanation...."I had the defender catching the ball. Before he got up, he hit it with his leg with his other leg still on the ground. Therefore, he did not complete the catch. And then he lost the ball. It came out, and so we made the play an incomplete pass."

Yeah, right.

So now explain the blatant no call on the INT and the no call on the "whatever that play was where everyone jumped, and contact WAS made!"

The Steelers deserved to win this game, and the score should have never been this close. Anyone who watched the game, regardless of loyalties, had to see that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Reason #746 why I can't stand the NoFunLeague.

The refs are horrible. Flag happy and terrible calls. This game had to be fixed; how else can you explain overturning that INT?

Anyone see the final play of the Chicago-Panthers game. Not that Chicago had a chance of winning it, but that was PI also IMO (and not called). It was a quick slant pass, and the Panther defender made contact from behind (tripped up) the receiver IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Robots for Refs
    Go Gators!

I'm not buying this anti-Steeler conspiracy theory garbage. Admittedly, the Polamalu INT was the single worst call I've ever seen on a review. But there were calls that went the Steelers way too. I can't imagine why any Steeler fans would complain about that garble with the no call on the supposed Colts offside. Alan Faneca flinched, it was a false start and didn't get called. It should have been 4th and 6, instead it remained 4th and 1 and Pittsburgh picked it up. Yeah, the Steelers really got screwed there. How about when Bob Sanders was (correctly) flagged for grabbing Hines Ward's facemask, yet there was no call on Ward when he grabbed Sanders' facemask just as blatantly at the same time?

I honestly don't recall the pass interference play, but really it's not something to get too worked up about since it's purely a judgement call. It's not a black and white rule, so what are you going to do? PI is a lot like holding, it happens a lot more often than it's called, and sometimes you get away with it. There were plays that went both ways against both teams in both games today, that's just the way it goes with that.

It certainly wasn't the best officiated game I've ever seen, or anywhere close. But to suggest there was some sort of anti-Steeler bias in the officiating today is just silly. Time to take off the fan goggles and look at things objectively.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

it all evens out. im not into conspiracy theories. now that my heart rate is normal, i can look forward to next week.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Lets talk about something that is really grinding my gears right now.

Its hard for Dungy to coach the team when he really has no control.

Case in point, 4th down, Peyton sends the punt team OFF the field, calls the offense back to the huddle, and gets the first down. By the looks of things, Dungy was flat-out shocked, and they showed Cowher, who I think even looked like he felt sorry for Dungy.

Being Dungy is a good Christian man, I didnt expect him to get up in Peyton's face, but i'm betting sometime this week, Dungy will say something to him.

If it were me, even though the end result would have been tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail, I would have pulled Manning and played Sorgi the rest of the game. Would it have eliminated all hope? Probably. But at least it would have let the players known, this is MY team, and I will run things as I see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    There were plays that went both ways against both teams in both games today, that's just the way it goes with that.
    No. That's not "just the way it goes" when you're talking about the particular errors that were made today. What an excuse for the officiating we've seen this offseason: "That's just the way it goes."

Well, I'll tell you what- if it keeps "going" the way it's going, the NFL is going to be right below professional wrestling and the boxing federations on the "Officials Integrity" list. It's beyond a competency issue.

The officiating in that game was abyssmal. Don't try to act as if one team didn't get the vast VAST majority of the benefit from it.

And I fail to see how anyone can grump about a slight "flinch" made by Faneca when the entire Colts offensive line is allowed to move freely- even after being in the "set" position. Could a false start been called on Faneca? Yep. But if it wasn't, there was absolutely zero room for the officals to give the Colts a "do over" even if they didn't touch a Steelers player because the Colts 'en masse intrusion into the neutral zone drew the Steelers LG or LT up from the "set" position. There was no way that a call couldn't be made there. By rule, if they didn't call Faneca for a False Start, they couldn't do what they did. Simply couldn't do it.

I honestly don't recall the pass interference play, but really it's not something to get too worked up about since it's purely a judgement call. It's not a black and white rule, so what are you going to do?
    It is a black and white rule. When the defender is hanging onto the receiver like a Mr. T starter set before the ball arrives (particularly as badly as that play), you have to make the call. You're obligated to because you're an NFL official and you've promised to enforce the rules of the game. But then, you don't remember it so I'm sure you're a little bit foggy on the severity of the infraction.

It certainly wasn't the best officiated game I've ever seen, or anywhere close. But to suggest there was some sort of anti-Steeler bias in the officiating today is just silly. Time to take off the fan goggles and look at things objectively.
    Official took about 3 minutes for a review that anyone with a brain could have completed in 10 seconds and took plenty of that time in conference with- at minimum- the replay booth looking for a way to give the Colts back the ball after the ruling on the field was "Interception".

That's as objective as it gets.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Yep. My objective take: it was a terribly called game, and it heavily favored Indy.

(And Kimo took a cheap, low shot at Palmer's knee).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yep. My objective take: it was a terribly called game, and it heavily favored Indy.

(And Kimo took a cheap, low shot at Palmer's knee).
    Yeah yeah. I've heard that story...

The Bengals lost the NFL MVP early in the game and were able to overcome that extreme setback and win their first playoff game ever.

Oh wait...that was SEATTLE...

(BTW, I think it's great that Boss and GIK let us talk football on the non-baseball side here. But I hope we can all agree not to take any of this stuff over to the baseball side of things. I know I'm gonna' leave it all here.)
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yeah yeah. I've heard that story...

The Bengals lost the NFL MVP early in the game and were able to overcome that extreme setback and win their first playoff game ever.

Oh wait...that was SEATTLE...

(BTW, I think it's great that Boss and GIK let us talk football on the non-baseball side here. But I hope we can all agree not to take any of this stuff over to the baseball side of things. I know I'm gonna' leave it all here.)
    You say that like it's difficult to stop Washington's offense. They are Chicago-esque when it comes to scoring points.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

Lord, I couldn't care less about football--the Bengals or Steelers or anyone. I'm just giving you a hard time about a play. Severe sports-boredom.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Lord, I couldn't care less about football--the Bengals or Steelers or anyone. I'm just giving you a hard time about a play. Severe sports-boredom.
    Well fine then! Be that way.

<grumble>

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?