Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pluses and Minuses for Wright-Pat

Re: Pluses and Minuses for Wright-Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Lots of good communites to live in and schools for the kids.... except for Dayton Public Schools which shows bad test scores year in and year out.
    Near the base, I would also stay away from Fairborn and Xenia schools if at all possible. Problem is some of the base housing goes to Fairborn schools. The rest go to Mad River, which is better.

Personally, I would only send my child to Beavercreek, Bellbrook/Sugarcreek, Centerville, Oakwood or Springboro schools. And Springboro is iffy due to current funding issues.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Arguably the best stretch of beachfront in the U.S. runs from Jersey to North Carolina..
    This gave me a chuckle.

Arguably, the best neighborhood in metro-Boston runs from Dudley Square Roxbury to Brookline Village.

The North Carolina beaches kick the Jersey beaches' ass. If it's too cold to swim in 6+ months of the year, then it ain't a beach.

I went to Boynton Beach last summer in Jersey. It's nice, despite the proximity to scummy Atlantic City. But IMO, there's no comparison to the non-touristy beaches in the Carolinas.
    Stick to your guns.

Arguably the best stretch of beachfront in the U.S. runs from Jersey to North Carolina..
    Ughh.... there is a ocean over on my side of the country, all of it allows public access too.

I'll take that everyday and Sunday over a Virginia or Carolina beach.

If it's too cold to swim in 6+ months of the year, then it ain't a beach.
    Pshaww... the beach is more than getting wet.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    This gave me a chuckle.

Arguably, the best neighborhood in metro-Boston runs from Dudley Square Roxbury to Brookline Village.

The North Carolina beaches kick the Jersey beaches' ass. If it's too cold to swim in 6+ months of the year, then it ain't a beach.

I went to Boynton Beach last summer in Jersey. It's nice, despite the proximity to scummy Atlantic City. But IMO, there's no comparison to the non-touristy beaches in the Carolinas.
    Jersey's got a mix of beaches, though a lot of 'em are the crowded, touristy type. Frankly, most people don't go in the water before Memorial Day and after Labor Day anyway, even in NC. IMO that's a big equalizer. The summer's the same length in both places. If you want to go swimming in the winter then you better get down to Florida.

Anyway, there's something to be said for having a bustling boardwalk at your back. That's why I picked the whole mid-Atlantic stretch. The atmospherics vary, but invariably you've got a broad stretch of sand and a warm, ocean with a moderate surf (wave sets generally run between two and six feet).

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Ughh.... there is a ocean over on my side of the country, all of it allows public access too.

I'll take that everyday and Sunday over a Virginia or Carolina beach.
    True, private beaches do stink. I'm no fan of for-pay public beaches either (which are the rage in Jersey). Honestly, the best spot in the mid-Atlantic is the Delmarva penninsula. The beaches are glorious and free (though the parking usually isn't - an unpleasant detail easily conquered with a bicycle).

Pshaww... the beach is more than getting wet.
    Well, it has to be when you've got a bone-chiller like the Pacific in front of you. You can actually spend the day in the water in the Atlantic and not need a wetsuit. What I've seen of the beaches on the Pacific north of San Francisco (admittedly it's not a ton) reminds me of Maine and Nova Scotia -- cold and rocky. It's pretty, but fun in the sun it's not. Went to the beach in Sausalito on the 4th of July once. For an easterner it was nothing short of horrifying how cold it was (air temp of 45 degrees if memory serves).

Even in southern Cali the water's cold by Atlantic standards. I'm no tenderfoot. I'll swim in cold water, but having to get out to warm up sucks (at least it does if you've grown up without that thought ever crossing your mind).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Went to the beach in Sausalito on the 4th of July once
    Tourist.... no one goes to the beach in July, September is better.

Tourist.... no one goes to the beach in July, September is better.
    I was there. It was July. How did I know it was the devil's workshop?

Until that moment I thought July the 4th on the beach was in the Bill of Rights.
    Last edited by M2; 01-16-2006 at 05:40 PM.

We just moved out to the Dayton area in July, from Seattle. I will say, coming from the west coast to the east coast has been a BIG culture shock. We're adjusting, it's taking a little bit, but it's happening.

We just bought a house in Springboro, and though the area is a little sparse at this time, they're doing a lot of building, particularly in northern Springboro. We looked in Beavercreak, as well as Centerville. Beavercreak is a wonderful area, and is really growing. It had more a west coast feeling to it, if you will. In the end it I didn't want to have a longer commute.

Overall, we've been happy since our move. Housing is substantially cheaper than the west coast, as well as the overall cost of living. People here tend to be more sincere than out west (at least in Seattle). Also, you won't go bored, you're in close proximity to a lot of fun places for the family, as well as a weekend getaway for the grownups.

As far as weather goes...Summer was an adjustment, with the heat and humidity, but you do get air conditioner (Most people didn't have air conditioners in Seattle). Fall was wonderful. The changing colors and the mild temperatures were great for getting out and enjoying the many fall festivities. Winter has been very mild, we got a little worried when we got several inches of snow in early December, but since then it's been great, very much fall like. We can't wait for spring!

Granted, it's not as glamorous of a place as say Seattle or San Francisco, as mentioned above, however, it is a good place to race a family.

Until that moment I thought July the 4th on the beach was in the Bill of Rights.
    Oh for a dollar for every tourist I've seen in the Bay Area in shorts in August.

Oh for a dollar for every tourist I've seen in the Bay Area in shorts in August.
    Honestly, if you're from somewhere else on the planet there's no way to know how bad the summertime weather sucks there. It's like another planet.

RBA, a plus for taking an assignment at WPAFB so close to retirement is the fact that, next to Honda, Wright-Patt is one of the largest civilian employers in Ohio. From my days being assigned there, I'd say that the chances of landing a good paying Federal Civil Service job are good, both for you and your wife. If nothing else, I know that DSCC here in Columbus seems to have quite a few positions available. Plus, in the area of security, DSCC uses DoD police on that installation and I know a lot of those guys are retired military LE's and MP's.
    Last edited by dman; 01-16-2006 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eupher
    We just moved out to the Dayton area in July, from Seattle. I will say, coming from the west coast to the east coast has been a BIG culture shock. We're adjusting, it's taking a little bit, but it's happening.

We just bought a house in Springboro, and though the area is a little sparse at this time, they're doing a lot of building, particularly in northern Springboro. We looked in Beavercreak, as well as Centerville. Beavercreak is a wonderful area, and is really growing. It had more a west coast feeling to it, if you will. In the end it I didn't want to have a longer commute.

Overall, we've been happy since our move. Housing is substantially cheaper than the west coast, as well as the overall cost of living. People here tend to be more sincere than out west (at least in Seattle). Also, you won't go bored, you're in close proximity to a lot of fun places for the family, as well as a weekend getaway for the grownups.

As far as weather goes...Summer was an adjustment, with the heat and humidity, but you do get air conditioner (Most people didn't have air conditioners in Seattle). Fall was wonderful. The changing colors and the mild temperatures were great for getting out and enjoying the many fall festivities. Winter has been very mild, we got a little worried when we got several inches of snow in early December, but since then it's been great, very much fall like. We can't wait for spring!

Granted, it's not as glamorous of a place as say Seattle or San Francisco, as mentioned above, however, it is a good place to race a family.

I have lived most of my life in Springboro, moved there in 2nd grade and I am now a sophomore in college. We live off Lytle 5 Points in Sycamore Springs but we moved there before any of the other stuff (aka Settlers Walk).

I like how you say "though the area is sparse." I come back from college and something new is built every time. It's growing so fast. I graduated in 2004 from Springboro High School with a graduating class of about 260. My little sister has a class of over 350 (last time I heard) and she's a junior. I see it now and I can still remember the days when 741 was a 2 lane road all the way into town.

As for Wright Patt, it's a nice place to work/live. I've worked there for 3 summers as an intern and I really like how everyone I met there was super friendly and helpful. Like others have said, if you work at Wright Patt, don't live in Fairborn, Trotwood, surrounding communities. I think your best bets would be Beavercreek, Centerville, Springboro, Miamisburg, and possibly a little further south in Lebanon if you don't mind a 45 minute to hour commute. Springboro is about a 1/2 hour - 45 mins from the base depending where you live in town (and how fast you drive ). I can't speak much for the other communities but they are all about 1/2 hour or less.

The Dayton area has its share of malls and entertainment options. There is lots of entertainment but I find myself doing more things down towards Cincinnati at times. Dayton does have the Schuster Center, Dragons, and every restaurant chain ever invented . The Dayton Mall is getting a lot of new renovations to become more trendy (outside shops and restaurants including Cheesecake Factory). They are also building a new trendy shopping center with lots of high end type shops near Bellbrook. It's basically between Springboro and Wright Patt. Beavercreek also has a much nicer mall then the Dayton Mall with lots of restaurant options and stores.

Cincinnati is about 45 minutes from Springboro, about an hour or so from Dayton depending on traffic. The area between Dayton and Cincy is basically becoming one giant subaraban area. Communities like Springboro, Lebanon, Mason, and West Chester are among the fastest growing in the state and they are exploding along I-75. They are all "nice" communities with higher incomes and the white collar type of lifestyle.

Another entertainment option within an hour or so of Dayton is Kings Island.

As for colleges, Ohio is completely stacked with good in state schools within a reasonable distance of Dayton. There is Univ of Dayton (private but good scholarships) and Wright State both in the backyard. The University of Cincinnati and Xavier are both about an hour away. Ohio State is about an hour and a half outside of Dayton depending on where you are coming from (probably less from Dayton, 1.5 hrs is Springboro). There's also Miami University which is probably about an hour and a half from Dayton.

I like to brag to people in Columbus that there are 5 Div-1 basketball teams within an hour of my house (Cincy, Xavier, Dayton, Wright State, Miami) so that's why I'm crazy about college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili[QUOTE

I'll second that. Another beach area that we tried this past summer was Bethany Beach in Delaware. I was very impressed with the upkeep and the cleanliness. As far as the Carolinas go, I'll take the Outer Banks as opposed to Myrtle seven ways to Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Honestly, if you're from somewhere else on the planet there's no way to know how bad the summertime weather sucks there. It's like another planet.
    Rule #1 of West Coast Living north of Santa Barbara, in your car always have a coat/sweatshirt/hat and a pair of shorts in the summer. Micro climates, I've left 90 degree weather in San Jose and drove 25 miles north to San Francisco and had to deal with 58 degrees with fog coming over the hills like Wuthering Heights. It's creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    I'll second that. Another beach area that we tried this past summer was Bethany Beach in Delaware. I was very impressed with the upkeep and the cleanliness. As far as the Carolinas go, I'll take the Outer Banks as opposed to Myrtle seven ways to Sunday
    The Delaware beaches are fantastic. Spent most every summer of my youth down there. Indian River's my favorite, it's got the best surf.

Rule #1 of West Coast Living north of Santa Barbara, in your car always have a coat/sweatshirt/hat and a pair of shorts in the summer. Micro climates, I've left 90 degree weather in San Jose and drove 25 miles north to San Francisco and had to deal with 58 degrees with fog coming over the hills like Wuthering Heights. It's creepy.
    Those are the insider things travel guides rarely underscore the way they should. For instance, on the first page of any Boston travel guide it should read "IF YOU'RE STAYING IN THE CITY OF BOSTON DO NOT RENT A CAR."

Cars are a misery in this city and don't help you get anywhere you want to be. If people plan on taking a day trip elsewhere, then rent for that day, but I've lost count of the number of stories I've heard from folks who tried to drive to Fanueil Hall or the North End or Fenway, got hopelessly lost and then couldn't find parking.

Turn Off Ads?