Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

Speculation on UC Coaching Change

This was rumored yesterday on CBS by Seth Davis and Clark Kellog.

Skip Prosser to UC(has been rumored for quite some time)
    John Beilein to Wake
    Bob Huggins to WVU

You have to figure if that happens, Huggins could be bringing in the Huggy-five(Mayo, Walker, Ellis, Patterson, and Bennett). Don't know what I wouldnt give to see Ohio St and WVU meet in the next two years(assuming Oden stays).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

I certainly hope not (as a WVU fan). Nothing against Huggins, but I'd rather see things done Beilein's way. Things really fell right for West Virginia when they stumbled into hiring him.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Retired

Prosser to UC is going to happen, but I'm not sure about Beilein to Wake. He's made some comments that could lead one to believe he isn't interested in leaving. Wake has it's positives and negatives, Beilein makes $770k at WVU, Prosser makes over a million with bonuses at Wake, plus WF has private jets for recruiting, etc. The biggest problem Wake has, which I think Skip figured out this year, is that recruiting against Duke and UNC in the ACC is tough; you are basically fighting for leftovers in the region when they are done.

Davis also mentioned that Huggins could end up at Missouri since it seems to be a forgone conclusion that Quinn Snyder is on his way out after this season. Either way I wish Bob the best, and I will likely become a fan of whatever team hires him. Cincinnati basketball owes a lot to Bob Huggins, even tough some in the UC administration would like you to believe otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Prosser to UC is going to happen, but I'm not sure about Beilein to Wake. He's made some comments that could lead one to believe he isn't interested in leaving. Wake has it's positives and negatives, Beilein makes $770k at WVU, Prosser makes over a million with bonuses at Wake, plus WF has private jets for recruiting, etc. The biggest problem Wake has, which I think Skip figured out this year, is that recruiting against Duke and UNC in the ACC is tough; you are basically fighting for leftovers in the region when they are done.
    With each passing day and the lack of Skip denying the UC rumors, I think it's likely that he's leaving Winston-Salem after the season. It's one of those situations where his silence is deafening.

If Skip wants to go, then I'll wish him well. He's run a clean program, won a lot of games, and certainly amped up the enthusiasm around the program. The flip side is that he hasn't won the "big game", due mainly to the fact that his teams have never really played much defense.

But I disagree about recruiting in the region against Duke & UNC. If anything, Prosser has cleaned up in the state of North Carolina. If you look at the big name recruits who have come in on his watch - Eric Williams (NC), Justin Gray (NC), Chris Paul, (NC), Kevin Swinton (NC), as well as the role players (Taron Downey, Trent Strickland, and to a lesser extent, Jeremy Ingram, Cameron Stanley, Todd Hendley), there's a huge NC flavor to the roster. He's also lined up Ish Smith & Jamie Skeen in next year's freshman class.

Conversely, most of the big time names at Duke & UNC over the same period have come from outside of NC. Off the top of my head, I think Rashad McCants was the only significant recruit for either school to come from NC during Prosser's tenure.

As far as Prosser's ability to go after the truly elite players, he had Wake in the driver's seat for quite a long time with the holy trinity of Oden/Conely/Cook who will enroll at OSU. For most of their junior year in HS, it was widely speculated that Conley was the ringleader, and if you could get him, you stood a great chance at landing at least one of the other two. All last season, Conley kept on talking about how his idol was Chris Paul and how Wake was the leader.

Then a funny thing happened and Daquean Cook committed to OSU. All of a sudden, it became obvious that Conley wasn't the leader of the crew - Cook was. Oden & Conley then fell like dominos. Couple that with Chris Paul's decision to leave a year earlier than most folks expected, and Skip's had a pretty rough year.

Recruiting against Duke & UNC isn't what's tough. It's getting an evenly & consistently officiated game against those schools that's the tough thing.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    With each passing day and the lack of Skip denying the UC rumors, I think it's likely that he's leaving Winston-Salem after the season. It's one of those situations where his silence is deafening.
    Well, Skip hasn't commented on any other jobs in the past, he wouldn't comment on Wake while at Xavier, didn't comment on Pitt while at Wake, so I don't see why it's a surprise he won't comment on UC. I can't really blame him, if he comes out and says he's leaving at the end of the year it would make an already up and down Wake season worse, and it could demoralize the current team.

Some Wake fans I know are starting to question his loyalty now, accusing him of job shopping. I don't think he expected the only 2 jobs he'd ever consider leaving Wake for to actually open, I think it's mostly just bad luck on Wake's part. If he does leave for UC I don't see him going anywhere else, he'll retire here.

Is there any kind of link regarding the Prosser to UC rumors from CBS? I would love to see Skip at UC, however I would not like to see Huggs go to WV because that would ensure Mayo and co. go there. The inside word I've heard (and it is relatively reliable) has Huggs going to South Florida, and the current UC staff all going with him.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Well, of course not during season, that would be tampering I believe.

The day Nancy Zimpher dismissed Bob Huggins was most likely the day Mayo and Company lost all interest in attending UC. I doubt even hiring Skip Prosser would help matters much.

If for whatever reason the Morgantown job opens, Huggins would immediately become the front-runner. But that has to happen first, and I dont see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    From Dustin Dow, a writer for the Enquirer

Much ado about nothing

So people are abuzz apparently about this article on Wake Forest's Scout.com web site that says UC has not contacted Skip Prosser.

Really?

Does anyone actually think that UC is going to formally contact Prosser in the middle of the season? Honestly?

Of course UC hasn't contacted him. That doesn't mean that Nancy Zimpher and Nancy Prosser haven't had lunch or that Prosser hasn't talked to Bob Huggins about the job or that messages of interest from both parties aren't being exchanged. Because that's what I'm hearing from people close to Prosser.

He may not be UC's next coach. But don't believe that communication isn't occuring back and forth.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Rick Majerus

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Rick Majerus
    You listen to Terry Nelson too much.

Huggins was on the ESPN broadcast tonight.

Very complimentary of Andy Kennedy and "my guys".

Looking forward to coaching next season. Says the year off has been really good for him.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Hopefully he sobered up and found some morals. As a Xavier fan, I like Kennedy. He is doing a lot with very little. I really feel sorry for Downey. Next yeat its him vs the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kxblue
    Hopefully he sobered up and found some morals. As a Xavier fan, I like Kennedy. He is doing a lot with very little. I really feel sorry for Downey. Next yeat its him vs the world.
    I think that's uncalled for. The guy may have had questionable judgement about his recruits, and may have some problems with the bottle, but unless you are a member of the local Temperence Union, I'm not sure that makes him immoral.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kxblue
    Hopefully he sobered up and found some morals. .

Get off it....
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 01-20-2006 at 03:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?