Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

Count me against Prosser. I don't think he's a very good game coach based on his time at Xavier. I'm lukewarm on Andy Kennedy. I think he's a good coach and if he could get the players I'd love to keep him around, but I doubt he gets good players. You have to have both in this day and age.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Count me against Prosser. I don't think he's a very good game coach based on his time at Xavier. I'm lukewarm on Andy Kennedy. I think he's a good coach and if he could get the players I'd love to keep him around, but I doubt he gets good players. You have to have both in this day and age.
    I agree with you on Kennedy. Kennedy will be a successful mid-major coach after this season. He just doesn't have the clout to recruit to the level UC needs to compete in the Big East.

However, I think Prosser is still the best option right now. I do agree he is not a great game coach but he would restore much needed legitimacy to the program. For a program that has nobody returning for next year and nothing in the recruiting pipeline, he is the best bet for restoring UC basketball due to the name recognition alone. He also already has his foot in the door of high schools both locally and the east coast. That's something the Mick Cronin's of the world don't have.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    I agree with you on Kennedy. Kennedy will be a successful mid-major coach after this season. He just doesn't have the clout to recruit to the level UC needs to compete in the Big East.

However, I think Prosser is still the best option right now. I do agree he is not a great game coach but he would restore much needed legitimacy to the program. For a program that has nobody returning for next year and nothing in the recruiting pipeline, he is the best bet for restoring UC basketball due to the name recognition alone. He also already has his foot in the door of high schools both locally and the east coast. That's something the Mick Cronin's of the world don't have.
    The rumor is our backup if Prosser doesn't happen is Vandy's Kevin Stallings. Yawn. My guess is Zimpher's relationship with Vandy Prez Gordon Gee has a lot to do with that. Stallings was passed over at OSU for Matta and IMO doesn't have the star power to rebuild this program quickly and compete in the Big East.

I'm not a huge fan of Prosser either, he can't coach defense and his teams nose dive in the tourney, but he's the biggest name we can get. If we don't hire a name coach this program is going to be a Big East bottom feeder for at least 5 years. I've got a really bad feeling Zimpher and pals are going to screw this up and UC basketball will never recover.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The rumor is our backup if Prosser doesn't happen is Vandy's Kevin Stallings. Yawn. My guess is Zimpher's relationship with Vandy Prez Gordon Gee has a lot to do with that. Stallings was passed over at OSU for Matta and IMO doesn't have the star power to rebuild this program quickly and compete in the Big East.

I'm not a huge fan of Prosser either, he can't coach defense and his teams nose dive in the tourney, but he's the biggest name we can get. If we don't hire a name coach this program is going to be a Big East bottom feeder for at least 5 years. I've got a really bad feeling Zimpher and pals are going to screw this up and UC basketball will never recover.
    Speaking as a UK fan, Stallings is a class act in the SEC and has really turned Vanderbilt around. Considering the situations, I think he would be a good fit at UC.

Then again, Prosser would be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Speaking as a UK fan, Stallings is a class act in the SEC and has really turned Vanderbilt around. Considering the situations, I think he would be a good fit at UC.

Then again, Prosser would be better.
    Stallings just doesn't have the "it" factor IMO. I've watched him coach quite a bit and courtside demeanor is about as exciting as watching paint dry. UC has NOTHING in the pipeline at all, it's going to take a big name coach to keep the program afloat for the new few years, IMO Stallings isn't that coach.

Aside from that, a lot of fans and donors are waiting to see who the next coach is before they either comeback to the program or stay away for good. I don't see Kevin Stallings bridging the gap that has been created by the administration. The next hire needs to be close to the same level, or an upgrade, to what Huggins has done at UC and not many coaches can fit that profile. Prosser is one, Majerus is one (but with his health problems I'd rather not have him) and Jay Wright is the other.

I just don't see UC fans accepting a lesser name coach than what we had, not after all that's happened and the bitterness that still exists. Speaking for myself, if Stallings is the guy I'm done with UC basketball, and I'm UC alum and have been a fan for 20 years.

Edit: Oh, and if Huggins ends up at WVU I'm going to become a WV fan.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 01-21-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Edit: Oh, and if Huggins ends up at WVU I'm going to become a WV fan.

I will always be a UC fan.....and I will always be a Bob Huggins coached team fan..

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Stallings is a schmuck. He used to coach at Illinois State and used to whine and cry when he didn't get conference Coach of the Year or one of his players didn't get Player of the year. Good coach but he's a crybaby.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I vote for Andy Kennedy.

And I can't stand UC.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

They could always bring back Gale Catlett to clean things up

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?