Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

  1. #16
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Count me against Prosser. I don't think he's a very good game coach based on his time at Xavier. I'm lukewarm on Andy Kennedy. I think he's a good coach and if he could get the players I'd love to keep him around, but I doubt he gets good players. You have to have both in this day and age.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Count me against Prosser. I don't think he's a very good game coach based on his time at Xavier. I'm lukewarm on Andy Kennedy. I think he's a good coach and if he could get the players I'd love to keep him around, but I doubt he gets good players. You have to have both in this day and age.
    I agree with you on Kennedy. Kennedy will be a successful mid-major coach after this season. He just doesn't have the clout to recruit to the level UC needs to compete in the Big East.

    However, I think Prosser is still the best option right now. I do agree he is not a great game coach but he would restore much needed legitimacy to the program. For a program that has nobody returning for next year and nothing in the recruiting pipeline, he is the best bet for restoring UC basketball due to the name recognition alone. He also already has his foot in the door of high schools both locally and the east coast. That's something the Mick Cronin's of the world don't have.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  4. #18
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,927

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    I agree with you on Kennedy. Kennedy will be a successful mid-major coach after this season. He just doesn't have the clout to recruit to the level UC needs to compete in the Big East.

    However, I think Prosser is still the best option right now. I do agree he is not a great game coach but he would restore much needed legitimacy to the program. For a program that has nobody returning for next year and nothing in the recruiting pipeline, he is the best bet for restoring UC basketball due to the name recognition alone. He also already has his foot in the door of high schools both locally and the east coast. That's something the Mick Cronin's of the world don't have.
    The rumor is our backup if Prosser doesn't happen is Vandy's Kevin Stallings. Yawn. My guess is Zimpher's relationship with Vandy Prez Gordon Gee has a lot to do with that. Stallings was passed over at OSU for Matta and IMO doesn't have the star power to rebuild this program quickly and compete in the Big East.

    I'm not a huge fan of Prosser either, he can't coach defense and his teams nose dive in the tourney, but he's the biggest name we can get. If we don't hire a name coach this program is going to be a Big East bottom feeder for at least 5 years. I've got a really bad feeling Zimpher and pals are going to screw this up and UC basketball will never recover.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  5. #19
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    The rumor is our backup if Prosser doesn't happen is Vandy's Kevin Stallings. Yawn. My guess is Zimpher's relationship with Vandy Prez Gordon Gee has a lot to do with that. Stallings was passed over at OSU for Matta and IMO doesn't have the star power to rebuild this program quickly and compete in the Big East.

    I'm not a huge fan of Prosser either, he can't coach defense and his teams nose dive in the tourney, but he's the biggest name we can get. If we don't hire a name coach this program is going to be a Big East bottom feeder for at least 5 years. I've got a really bad feeling Zimpher and pals are going to screw this up and UC basketball will never recover.
    Speaking as a UK fan, Stallings is a class act in the SEC and has really turned Vanderbilt around. Considering the situations, I think he would be a good fit at UC.

    Then again, Prosser would be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  6. #20
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,927

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Speaking as a UK fan, Stallings is a class act in the SEC and has really turned Vanderbilt around. Considering the situations, I think he would be a good fit at UC.

    Then again, Prosser would be better.
    Stallings just doesn't have the "it" factor IMO. I've watched him coach quite a bit and courtside demeanor is about as exciting as watching paint dry. UC has NOTHING in the pipeline at all, it's going to take a big name coach to keep the program afloat for the new few years, IMO Stallings isn't that coach.

    Aside from that, a lot of fans and donors are waiting to see who the next coach is before they either comeback to the program or stay away for good. I don't see Kevin Stallings bridging the gap that has been created by the administration. The next hire needs to be close to the same level, or an upgrade, to what Huggins has done at UC and not many coaches can fit that profile. Prosser is one, Majerus is one (but with his health problems I'd rather not have him) and Jay Wright is the other.

    I just don't see UC fans accepting a lesser name coach than what we had, not after all that's happened and the bitterness that still exists. Speaking for myself, if Stallings is the guy I'm done with UC basketball, and I'm UC alum and have been a fan for 20 years.

    Edit: Oh, and if Huggins ends up at WVU I'm going to become a WV fan.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 01-21-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  7. #21
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,506

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Edit: Oh, and if Huggins ends up at WVU I'm going to become a WV fan.

    I will always be a UC fan.....and I will always be a Bob Huggins coached team fan..

  8. #22
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Speaking as a UK fan, Stallings is a class act in the SEC and has really turned Vanderbilt around. Considering the situations, I think he would be a good fit at UC.
    Stallings is a schmuck. He used to coach at Illinois State and used to whine and cry when he didn't get conference Coach of the Year or one of his players didn't get Player of the year. Good coach but he's a crybaby.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #23
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    I vote for Andy Kennedy.

    And I can't stand UC.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  10. #24
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,989

    Re: Speculation on UC Coaching Change

    They could always bring back Gale Catlett to clean things up

    Pay attention to the open sky


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25