Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mike Sweeney: 1999 Royals teammates used steroids

Mike Sweeney: 1999 Royals teammates used steroids

http://sportsline.com/general/story/9164034

Jan. 14, 2006
    Wichita Eagle

Were the 1999 Royals using steroids?

You'd never have guessed it by their record: The Royals finished a woeful 64-97 that season, 32 games behind the first-place Cleveland Indians.

But Royals slugger Mike Sweeney said on talk radio Friday and to the Kansas City Star that he was approached by friends on the team who had "the juice."

Sweeney told the Star later Friday that he has never taken steroids.

"There would have been no repercussions back then," Sweeney said by phone from California. "There was no testing like that. But I knew in my heart it was wrong, and I had my faith to get me through it."

Sweeney said he also has no intentions of naming those who may have been using steroids.

"We are a family in the clubhouse," he said. "What happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. It's like that saying about Vegas -- what happens there, stays there.

"I also don't want to give the impression that there was rampant usage back then. There wasn't. In my 11-year career, I may have known four or five guys who might have been doing it. That's it."

As bad as the Royals were in 1999, that team did perform well offensively, batting .282 with a then-franchise-high 856 runs scored.

"I took a stand, and when I speak to kids -- to the D.A.R.E. program or the Fellowship of Christian Athletes -- I tell them, 'Look, I'm drug-free and I mean it when I say it,'" Sweeney said.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Players on the 1999 Royals:

Carlos Febles
    Joe Randa
    Rey Sanchez
    Johnny Damon
    Carlos Beltran
    Jermaine Dye
    Jeremy Giambi
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Sweeney: 1999 Royals teammates used steroids

Beltran and Damon are some very interesting names on that list.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Jeremy G's already admitted to taking steroids, hasn't he?

I get the feeling that you could say the same thing about (nearly?) every team in baseball. But maybe I'm just feeling cynical this morning.
    Last edited by tixe; 01-16-2006 at 10:25 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

It's probably Jeremy Giambi.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    It's probably Jeremy Giambi.
    Yep. And the KC front office took a lot of heat for unloading him (including from me). If this was the reason, then I beg their pardon.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    http://sportsline.com/general/story/9164034

But Royals slugger Mike Sweeney said on talk radio Friday and to the Kansas City Star that he was approached by friends on the team who had "the juice."
    Friends is plural, meaning more than one.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Wasn't that the year that Febles came out and had people talking all-star? Nothing has been heard from him since either. There are definitely some interesting names there...

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Bob Hamelin??? LOL!!!!!!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

this1belongs2

I don't think Randa or Damon would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by this1belongs2
    I don't think Randa or Damon would have done it.
    Based on what? Their character? All people have flaws, it doesn't make them bad.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Based on what? Their character? All people have flaws, it doesn't make them bad.
    Well, Randa, for one, ha sput up rather consistent numbers during his career. There's been no noticeable "spike" in performance (or in body size, for that matter.) Additioanlly, he's become somewhat renowned for hsi work ethic--so based on nothing more than that I would express surprise if it comes out that Randa had used steroids. I simply don't see any evidence to support it.

Damon, I really have no idea. And that, really, is the saddest result of baseball's steroid scandal. Everyone is under suspicion, regardless of evidence. All numbers and records are viewed with a question mark. And that is truly unfortunate.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    And that, really, is the saddest result of baseball's steroid scandal. Everyone is under suspicion, regardless of evidence. All numbers and records are viewed with a question mark. And that is truly unfortunate.
    Yes.
    Stick to your guns.

The Royals have the worst General Manager in all of Baseball South of Cincinnati... Allard Baird is a WAL-MART Greeter at best...Not a GM.

Oh, Say NO to Steroids Royal players...Even though you need every advantage...

JaredRoberts.com

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    And that, really, is the saddest result of baseball's steroid scandal. Everyone is under suspicion, regardless of evidence. All numbers and records are viewed with a question mark. And that is truly unfortunate.
    Yes, but the players have no one to blame for this state of affairs but themselves. The players union successfully resisted any meaningful steroid testing for years.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Bob Hamelin??? LOL!!!!!!
    Maybe he took the fat steroids.

As for the players resisting any steroid testing, when was it ever put on the table by the owners? They are not exactly blameless in this matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?