Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to STL

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to STL

Here's a write up on it at http://www.baseballmusings.com

See the four-part series at http://redlegnation.com/2006/01/16/b...ore-than-once/

Good stuff!
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to STL

He's not heavy. He's my brother.

Thanks Chili!
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Re: Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to STL

Excellent writeup!
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Good stuff
    Go Gators!

Outstanding stuff, as usual.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to S

WOY,

I am really enjoying these articles. Is this your own primary research or do you have a primary source that is available? What primers do you recommend for digging deeper into Reds history?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Re: Westofyou Pens a Cool bit about the history of Reds' ownership and its links to S

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    WOY,

I am really enjoying these articles. Is this your own primary research or do you have a primary source that is available? What primers do you recommend for digging deeper into Reds history?
    First of all thanks to all who enjoyed it, I know I enjoyed doing it.

TR, the Rhodes books are great for seeds, the Lee Allen Book which is very hard to find is the best source for pre 1947 stuff out there as far as the Reds go, as is the Putman Books for any other of the original 8 franchises.

For this piece though I used the Rhodes Books, Allens, some Seymour, Tiegel, The Sporting News Baseball Guides, old newspapers and a 1959 SI article on MacPhail and Hub Walkers, Big Red Machine. And probably some others I have in my collection for this and that.

But Rhodes Redleg Journal is the piece that allowed me to build the framework.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    First of all thanks to all who enjoyed it, I know I enjoyed doing it.

TR, the Rhodes books are great for seeds, the Lee Allen Book which is very hard to find is the best source for pre 1947 stuff out there as far as the Reds go, as is the Putman Books for any other of the original 8 franchises.

For this piece though I used the Rhodes Books, Allens, some Seymour, Tiegel, The Sporting News Baseball Guides, old newspapers and a 1959 SI article on MacPhail and Hub Walkers, Big Red Machine. And probably some others I have in my collection for this and that.

I knew Rhodes had done something along those lines but was not finding it in searches. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.

Even got The Big Red Machine.

I never can find the Crosley Field book - I got one for my Dad - I figure I'll have it when the time comes to pass.

Also - a great read - is the one they wrote on the 1869-1870 Reds. Great stuff.

Thank goodness for the local library.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

I never can find the Crosley Field book - I got one for my Dad - I figure I'll have it when the time comes to pass.
    http://tinyurl.com/a388e

Turn Off Ads?