Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Joey Porter's at it again.

Re: Joey Porter's at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Thanks for the link.

I'm not saying the guy isn't a darn good quarterback, he is just a bit melodramatic for my tastes. Now, if he was "my" quarterback, I'd probably be willing to let is slide.

GL
    Any one of a thousand NFL players have said the same things Roethisberger did in that article about the effect of a long season of NFL play.

I'd let those comments "slide" if they came from the mouth of Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, John Elway, or Eli-freakin'-Manning. Well, I wouldn't need to let them "slide" because there's nothing to let "slide".

Roethlisberger didn't overstate any injury in that interview. All he said was that, yes, the NFL season is a grind and, yes, it wears you down and, no, that's no excuse for bad play and, yes, he'd be fine and considered it a learning experience.

Then the guy comes into the 2005 season. Consistently plays hurt, injured, and with significant pain. Sits out only when forced to. Starts games with a splint on his throwing hand. Never once goes all nutty about how much that hurts or how he was able to overcome that. Never set himself up as a folk hero. Not once.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Joey Porter's at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Roethlisberger didn't overstate any injury in that interview.
    I never said he overstated an injury. He just seems to let you know that he is injured.

The one that really rubbed me the wrong way was the on-field, pre-game interview where a side-line reporter approached him about his hand. He was suprisingly quick to show it off and talk about it and went so far as to put both his hands side-by-side, on camera, so the reporter could compare.

My neighbors and I have a rule when we golf. You have to make your pre-round excuses before you tee-off for them to "count". You see a bunch of 30-somethings talking about their stiff back, bad knee, etc. and then we play our round. Don't play so well? Ah, its that dang slipped disc, can't rotate properly. Played great? My knee felt pretty decent today for a change (don't expect it to next week though).

IMO, and I am not alone, Big Ben would fit right in with our squad.

You don't think so, fine. We both look at the same incomplete set of information and come to different conclusion. It happens. Quite frankly, this is one boring discussion. See you on the baseball side.

GL

Turn Off Ads?