Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mailbag: Where does Aurilia fit in best? (1/16)

Re: Mailbag: Where does Aurilia fit in best? (1/16)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    I know it sounds silly but sometimes I wonder just who O'Brien listens to... his scouts and advisers or (what he thinks is the popular opinion of Reds Fans) Marty and Hal.
    I think he listens to the voices inside his brain.

Or his imaginary friend Rube.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Even if EE wins the job in ST he will never be allowed to relax and just develop(mistakes and all) because he will be constantly looking over his shoulder knowing that the next throwing error or batting slump could be his ticket back to AAA.

Terrible way to treat a young player and destroy his confidence. This team sucks and is not going to win in 2006 no matter how many more crappy utility IF types they can conjure up. That said there is no purpose for Aurilia or Womack. This year should be about developing young talent and not worrying as much about wins and losses. The management of the Reds might as well be turned over to Alicia Silverstone because the current bunch is every bit as clueless.

I don't think the REDS can have the luxury of letting someone develop in MLB. If EE earns the job out of ST then good on him but Narron has basically said that there are a number of positions where the starters will have to earn their position out of ST. 2B and 3B as well as a few others I would think. I'm not so sure that the REDS ST squad is settled. The point about Brandon Larson is that he was basically guaranteed the 3B spot for two years and stunk. Yes EE has talent and he has performed well recently but Narron is correct in that he has got to earn the starting job out of ST. Lopez lost the ST job out of ST because of his fielding not his batting. Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on the REDS batting and not enough on their fielding.

I don't think the REDS can have the luxury of letting someone develop in MLB.
    Why?

Are they going somewhere this year?

In 2006 Rich Aurilia is to Edwin what Chris Sabo and Terry Pendelton were to Willie Greene in 1996 and 1997, just an older guy in the way of a younger guy who is more than ready to take the job if everybody just let him do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on the REDS batting and not enough on their fielding.
    EE can field circles around beer league Aurilia.

I don't think the REDS can have the luxury of letting someone develop in MLB.
    Yes they do.

This team is going to be really bad no matter what, play the freaking kids and see what they have.
    Go Gators!

I don't think the REDS or any MLB team should say to an unproven player that they have the starting job out of ST. If EE performs well this year then next year the job is his out of ST. Just like Lopez this year. The difference between the minors and the majors is more than just the statistics. Some guys make it and some guys don't. Its irresponsible for any ballclub to give someone in EE's position a guaranteed starting position.

The Reds have loaded themselves up with guys who have proven they can't play. Turn the jobs over to them I say, at least they are experienced.

I don't think the REDS or any MLB team should say to an unproven player that they have the starting job out of ST. If EE performs well this year then next year the job is his out of ST. Just like Lopez this year. The difference between the minors and the majors is more than just the statistics. Some guys make it and some guys don't. Its irresponsible for any ballclub to give someone in EE's position a guaranteed starting position.
    What does Encarnacion have to do to prove he is better than Rich Aurilia? It's very obvious to me that he is better in every facet of the game.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I don't think the REDS or any MLB team should say to an unproven player that they have the starting job out of ST.
    Every winner of the NL or AL rookie of the year says ...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?