Turn Off Ads?

Thread: No LT deal for Dunn ... at least not now

No LT deal for Dunn ... at least not now

Reds are focusing on one year deals according to DanO.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....601160321/1027

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No LT deal for Dunn ... at least not now

My guess is he hasn't been granted authority from the new owners to enter into a long term contract...............................because he's probably going to be fired. *fingers crossed*
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    My guess is he hasn't been granted authority from the new owners to enter into a long term contract...............................because he's probably going to be fired. *fingers crossed*
    I would guess you are an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    That's how he got to be a "mod"

Count me in...the ultimate worse-case would have been if DanO tried to negotiate a LTC for Dunn...and insulted him....

Let the new owners make the splash. History states that the new owners in this town usually come in after a big deal - or make their own.

Powel Crosley gets Larry McPhail-night baseball comes to town and a few years later the Reds are World Champions.

Bill DeWitt wins the '61 NL pennant-then trades Robinson before the '66 season. Frank Dale buys team and hires Howsam.

Nipperts come in and BRM happens.

Marge Schott comes in - signs Perez, Parker & trades for Rose.

Lindner comes in after Schott - trades for Junior. (which, at that time was a shot in the arm after a 1999 season where the Reds overachieved. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think everyone here was probably pretty high on the deal.)

Lindner kept Bowden - that might have been more of a sales job on Bowden's part.

Castenelli's group comes in, hopefully on Friday. I'd expect some news to follow.
    Last edited by Heath; 01-16-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Marc's blog says that LTC offers were made to Dunn, Kearns, Harang and Lopez, but not accepted. He implied that the players don't want to give up their leverage by signing just yet.

I also think as long as they do continue to try and tie Dunn up to a LTC prior to the start of this season getting this year out of the way and avoiding arbitration isn't going to to hurt the ability of the Reds get Dunn signed to a LTC.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

One of these days, before I die, I want to be able to open up RZ and read some honest to God-make-my-whole-freakin-day type good news(and by good news I don't mean we signed another 30 something futility infielder or some pitchers surgery went well).

Thats all I ask.

I'm 35 and in good health, anyone want to give me my odds ?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I also think as long as they do continue to try and tie Dunn up to a LTC prior to the start of this season getting this year out of the way and avoiding arbitration isn't going to to hurt the ability of the Reds get Dunn signed to a LTC.
    Pedro - I'd also like to think the new ownership could really make a pitch to Dunn and woo him. (sorry, for the word "woo" - verbs were failing me) I think if the ownership, coupled with some fan voicing (i.e. season ticket holders) might be what can keep Dunn here LT and keep creek from diving off the deep cliff.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    These days the only thing Reds fans have left is hope.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I would float these long term contracts out there until their Arb. cases. If they don't sign I would begin to seek trades for them. But first lets hope we have a real GM by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    One of these days, before I die, I want to be able to open up RZ and read some honest to God-make-my-whole-freakin-day type good news(and by good news I don't mean we signed another 30 something futility infielder or some pitchers surgery went well).

Thats all I ask.

I'm 35 and in good health, anyone want to give me my odds ?
    I'm with you about the good news, but I'm 50 and take blood pressure meds.

Not in my lifetime.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    I'd like to think that but they were going after Matt Morris to pitch for them and I don't think they were offering him a 1 year deal.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I'd like to think that but they were going after Matt Morris to pitch for them and I don't think they were offering him a 1 year deal.
    that's an excellent point.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The Matt Morris line is overplayed. I smell PR all over that one from a inactive offseason with lameduck personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    The Matt Morris line is overplayed. I smell PR all over that one from a inactive offseason with lameduck personal.
    In this case we should be thankfull, over paying for Morris would have just hurt any chance to hold onto Dunn.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?