Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kearns signs

Kearns signs

According to Lancaster's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns signs

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    According to Lancaster's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Not bad 1 yr 1.85 mill.

To "borrow" Marc's line - more increased playing time for a better shot at more production.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Surprised that Kearns got that much more than Wily Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    Defense, Defense, Defense

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    I'm assuming he has more service time.

How hard would it be to throw a little more then what these guys might have proved they are worth so far and try to get them into LTC. I dont see how hard it would be get Kearns or Pena into 3yr/15mil deals. And I know that Harang wants to wait but give him some money now, see how high you have to go to get him locked up now. I really hope whoever replaces O'Brien finds a way to get these guys to Long term deals.

There is no way that Kearns or WMP would sign to long term with the free agent market the way it is. No manager worth his salt would advise them to. They would both be looking at 5-10 a yaer depending on how the next two seasons go so its going to take more than just a little more money.

Any GM who gave either of those guys 15 million at this point in their career shouldn't be GMing, corner OF that OPS .800 are the easiest parts to fill in baseball, if they ever extend beyond that they'll get some money.

But as of now both at 3 million is about right, neither deserves 2.5 million much alone 5.
    Last edited by westofyou; 01-16-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Given their injury histories, I'd think both Kearns and Wily Mo would be up for some LTC security.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Still predicting Dunner signs last...

Felipe.. Your on deck!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Given their injury histories, I'd think both Kearns and Wily Mo would be up for some LTC security.
    Personally i'd like to see that.. I think these 2 are what teams look to build a foundation around. I would at least lock em up for 3 years

Kearns 3 yrs 15 mil w/ incentives
    Wily Mo 3 yrs 14 mil w/ incentives

got alil captain in u?

i agree 2or 3 year deal would have been good now we have to worry about signing them again this year

01/16/2006 6:00 PM ET

Reds sign Kearns to one-year deal
    Cincinnati has all three starting outfielders under contract
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

Another arbitration case bites the dust.

For the third time in two days, the Reds avoided arbitration with one of their players by signing outfielder Austin Kearns to a one-year contract worth $1.85 million on Monday.

The Reds now have all three of their starting outfielders under contract. Kearns is expected to be the everyday man in right field.

For Kearns, 2005 is best put in the rearview mirror, on the whole. He was hoping the season would be a breakout one for him, but after tearing it up in Spring Training, the 25-year-old struggled at the plate out the gate.

Kearns hit just .224 with eight homers and 25 RBIs in the first 51 games of the season before the Reds shocked the clubhouse by sending him to Triple-A Louisville on June 12.

The club said the move was aimed at getting Kearns to regain his hitting stroke and his physical discipline. In 21 games with the Bats, Kearns appeared to make strides on both fronts by batting .342 with seven home runs and 21 RBIs and dropping about 10 pounds.

When Kearns returned to the Reds in late July, he found himself sharing time in right field with Wily Mo Pena. But by the end of the year, Kearns was once again a fixture in the starting lineup. He hit .253 with 12 homers and 42 RBIs in 61 games after being recalled from the Minors, bringing his season totals to a .240 average with 18 homers and 67 RBIs.

The Reds cleared room in their crowded outfield for both Kearns and Pena to get regular starts in '06 by trading first baseman Sean Casey to the Pirates during the Winter Meetings and moving left fielder Adam Dunn to first base.

That should be good news for Kearns, who complained at the time of his demotion to Triple-A that the four-outfielder rotation hinders the development of a young player such as himself.

With Kearns' deal wrapped up, general manager Dan O'Brien has three more arbitration-eligible players to take care of. Dunn, shortstop Felipe Lopez and right-hander Aaron Harang all are expected to be signed to one-year deals before all is said and done.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Kearns and Pena need to be traded. Though I would gamble on enough health and improved production where their value increases over the summer, I would hold off to after the season starts and maybe into the offseason.

The Reds don't have time to wait this offense out while the pitching staff and defense suffer to catch up.

They need to overhaul now. That means trade the extra's. Kearns got adjusted to, continued his injury prone career and is a bit of a drifter. I don't see him ever being the 320 35hr 120RBI players he was projected to be. If he show nice improvement over last year, he could be moved for a package.

Pena simply doesn't fit in the NL. He is a obvious AL player who could give some team some pop as a DL while he hones his skills that are still fairly raw. Like Kearns, he is injury prone, but 2-3 months of play like during his 2004 run, may very well merit a decent return for him.

The Reds pitching and defense need to improve greatly. Getting rid of a medicore and poor defender is a start for young pitchers and defense. That leaves Dunn,Griffey,Lopez and Larue, who all should be traded. Harang should probably go as well. Wilson leaves in 2007, Milton by 2008. In 2008 we will be free of bad contracts, have had those younger pitchers auditioning in 2007 and some DanO era picks who have shots like Jay Bruce coming up through the system. That would be the time to make a move and begin to fill in the rest of the holes and raise payroll.

The Marlins did it, hopefully Cast follows up on those plans.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

So where's the praise (or at least credit) for DanO on this and the Peña deals? He did something good here and nary a positive word has been thrown his direction.

Turn Off Ads?