Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diplomat Danny Graves

Diplomat Danny Graves

Given some of Danny Graves comments over the years, it may be hard to picture the former Reds reliever as a diplomat, but in a way that is exactly what Graves will be. The 1/16/06 issue of U.S. News & World Report states at page 12 that Graves will accompany Jan Scruggs, head of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, on a trip to Vietnam this month to promote baseball. Scruggs and Graves will present Vietnam little leaguers with equipment and coaching tips ( I hope it is not "pitch to contact" ) during a trip January 16-25 by the Fund to foster friendship. Scruggs said: "Baseball is a far more powerful weapon than a B-52 and no one gets hurt" (again, unless they pitch to contact ).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Diplomat Danny Graves

i hope he teaches them the joy of the middle finger

Well, he certainly has the time.
    Makes all the routine posts.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Since he'll already be in Asia, it might be a good idea to spend a few days in Japan to find out if any Japanese League teams could use a stinkerball... er, sinkerball reliever?

Danny was elected to the charter class of XM radios "Stay Hot" Hall of Fame this morning.

His "makes us feel small" speech was a staple of the morning show all year long.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I hope he doesn't toss any BP to those kids. Imagine the embarassment of them raking doubles into the gaps!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Good for Danny, he seems to be a good guy that made some bad choices in the downside of his career. I try to remember the good things about him instead of dwelling on what he did for the Reds the last few years. I don't want him in a Reds uniform again, but he does great community work.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    I hope he doesn't toss any BP to those kids. Imagine the embarassment of them raking doubles into the gaps!
    I'm sorry...THAT IS FUNNY...I have nothing too add but THAT IS FUNNY!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Good for Danny, he seems to be a good guy that made some bad choices in the downside of his career. I try to remember the good things about him instead of dwelling on what he did for the Reds the last few years. I don't want him in a Reds uniform again, but he does great community work.
    Well said.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I'll second Team Boone's comment.....very well said.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NAS...2/c1294774.jsp
    Happy Graves ready for Vietnam trip
    01/12/2006 6:15 PM ET
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CLEVELAND -- Danny Graves sat in the Indians clubhouse Friday and sized it up in his head.

He noticed a few slight differences in the place since he had last occupied it in 1997. A missing ping-pong table here, a new couch there. Overall, though, it looked very much the same.

It was the differences in himself, Graves thought, that were really striking.

"A lot of tattoos, piercings and longer hair," he said with a smile.

But Graves, who was in town to take a physical and prepare for a trip to his native Vietnam for the first time since he was an infant, isn't looking for differences in physical appearance. He wants to see changes -- drastic ones -- in his performance on the mound.

After a 2005 season that saw him knocked around with the Reds, released, picked up by the Mets and used sparingly, the 32-year-old Graves said he felt more like 44 when all was said and done.

But when the Indians -- the organization he was originally drafted by and grew up in -- signed him to a Minor League contract with an invitation to Spring Training last month, he said he felt 24 again.

"I'm a born-again baseball player," Graves said. "I feel like a kid again. I feel like a rookie."

He's no rookie, of course. Graves is a veteran who has seen it all the last few years.

The Reds tried to convert the right-hander into a starter in 2002 -- an experiment that messed with his arm and his head. By the end of 2003, his shoulder was inflamed and his confidence was badly bruised after a 15-loss season cut short by the injury.

Graves returned to the bullpen in 2004 and churned out 41 saves and an All-Star appearance. But his trusty sinker let him down in 2005. Though he converted 10 of 12 save opportunities for Cincinnati, he compiled a ghastly ERA of 11.00 in 10 appearances in May.

And when Graves got into a nasty verbal encounter with a fan during a game against the Tribe in late May, his nine-year tenure with the Reds was brought to a close.

The Mets took a chance on Graves but only used him in 20 games over the course of four months. He never really felt like a part of the club.

Although he's technically not a part of the Indians just yet, Graves said he feels at home so far. He was working Thursday with head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff, who also used to be with the Reds, and he's always kept in close contact with general manager Mark Shapiro, who was the Tribe's farm director when Graves was in the Minors.

"When I was traded in '97, Mark told me that if he was ever a GM and had a chance to get me, he would," Graves said. "He's a man of his word."

While Graves' return to Cleveland comes with its share of sentimentality, it's his upcoming return to his native Vietnam that's especially intriguing.

Graves, the son of an American serviceman father and Vietnamese mother who worked in the U.S. Embassy, was born on a military base in Saigon in 1973. The family moved to the States shortly before the fall of Saigon in 1975, when Graves was 14 months old, and he hasn't been back since.

But as part of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund's efforts to promote healing and understanding between the two countries, Graves, his wife, Andrea, and his mother, Thao, will be departing for Vietnam on Sunday and returning Jan. 25.

Graves will be spreading the word about baseball to a country that knows very little about the sport.

"They know absolutely nothing about baseball," Graves said of the Vietnamese. "I'm supposed to spend a few days with the kids and teach them about baseball, and they'll use it in their PE classes."

Graves' visit will include a baseball demonstration at the National University for Sports and Physical Culture, a baseball clinic he'll put on at Le Loi High School and a family reunion in Ho Chi Minh City.

Graves said he's curious to see what his native land is like.

"I was born there, but I know nothing about it, besides what they show on TV," he said.

Graves is excited about the trip for a lot of reasons, but one particular reason that came to mind is he finally knows what team he'll be representing overseas.

"Now I know I can bring Indians stuff over there," he said with another big smile.

It'll be a familiar affiliation in an unfamiliar land.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Right now there is someone in Siagon translating a story that includes "United States, Vietnam, and Graves."

No good can come of this.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

We sign Balfour and let Graves sign with Cleveland??? Don't hollar at me too much guys...I would have liked to seen Danny given a minor league deal and an invite...

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    We sign Balfour and let Graves sign with Cleveland??? Don't hollar at me too much guys...I would have liked to seen Danny given a minor league deal and an invite...
    Last time I was in Cincinnati, the bridge that Danny burned as he left was still smoldering. I don't think the fire department or the fans have forgiven him.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 01-12-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?