Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

I heard a promo for his show yesterday and he was talking about Jose Canseco. His take was interesting, and i'll try to do credit to him and be as accurate as possible.

Do you remember when Nirvana's Smeel's like Teen Spirit came out? It changed the music scene completely. For a decade we listened to all those hair bands, and we liked them. we defended them. Then Nirvana and all of a sudden we couldn't believe we ever listened to that drek.

That's Jose Canseco. He introduced weightlifting and steroids to baseball, wrote a book, testified before congress, and made punchlines of of Palmeiro, Sosa, Bonds and McGwire. He single handedly brought about the elimination of steroids to the game, a decade and a half after introducing them. If a player, by himself, changes the future, the present, the past of the game, he's a Hall of Famer.

I think I got close, it's not an exact quote, but it's close. It's the last line that got me thinking, and I thought on this all weekend. Canseco's numbers are borderline, but his impact on the game is undeniable. whether or not that impact was positive or not is debatable, but he certainly meets the fame part of the equation.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

I think it's about your accomplishments on the field, and now Canseco has admitted his numbers are steroid driven and therefore tainted. He is in no way a Hall of Famer.

Cowherd is a moron. I said it the day he replaced Kornheiser, I'll say it again today. He has no real substance, and no real intelligence for that matter. One of those radio jocks who is always right and cuts off people who disagree with his POV.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Cowherd is a moron. I said it the day he replaced Kornheiser, I'll say it again today. He has no real substance, and no real intelligence for that matter. One of those radio jocks who is always right and cuts off people who disagree with his POV.
    Not to get too OT here, but I disagree. Yeah he's opinionated, but nowhere near the level of stupidity of a Jim Rome.
    Suck it up cupcake.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

He single handedly brought about the elimination of steroids to the game, a decade and a half after introducing them.
    Okay... Jose single-handily introduced and eliminated steroids according to Cowherd. Did Jose run faster than speeding trains and leap tall buildings too?

These comments by Cowherd are not too smart IMO. I equate the above to saying it is okay that a murderer killed someone as long as he paid for the funeral and helped get youngsters to stop violent ways after the fact. Who cares about the damage done or created, as long as you did "right" in the end.

I highly-highly doubt that Jose introduced steroids to the game. Sounds like comments from a talk-piece who is trying to get people fired up (imagine that). I absolutely-positively guarantee that Jose DID NOT introduce weight-lifting to MLB as Cowherd says. That comment is not true.

Perhaps Pete Rose brought about more awareness of athletes and gambling. That is the very small bit of good that might come from a bad thing. Does not mean that the "instigator" of the bad thing deserves any sort of credit at all. NONE. BTW... did Jose make bucks on his tell-all book? Sounds like someone else who would only "come clean" if he'd make a buck doing it. Sad and pathetic human behavior. Not worthy of any award!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I would be more inclined to be impressed by Canseco's ratting out others if he had not done it in a way that he profited from doing so. Really, he exhibited the same behavior that led him to steroids, which is doing what benefits Jose regardless of who he takes down doing it. I think it was beneficial that he wrote the book, but he should not be rewarded when it is certainly not apparent that he did so for the greater good, unless you think like Jose and that the greater good is whatever benefits Jose.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Okay... Jose single-handily introduced and eliminated steroids according to Cowherd. Did Jose run faster than speeding trains and leap tall buildings too?

These comments by Cowherd are not too smart IMO. I equate the above to saying it is okay that a murderer killed someone as long as he paid for the funeral and helped get youngsters to stop violent ways after the fact. Who cares about the damage done or created, as long as you did "right" in the end.

I highly-highly doubt that Jose introduced steroids to the game. Sounds like comments from a talk-piece who is trying to get people fired up (imagine that). I absolutely-positively guarantee that Jose DID NOT introduce weight-lifting to MLB as Cowherd says. That comment is not true.

Perhaps Pete Rose brought about more awareness of athletes and gambling. That is the very small bit of good that might come from a bad thing. Does not mean that the "instigator" of the bad thing deserves any sort of credit at all. NONE. BTW... did Jose make bucks on his tell-all book? Sounds like someone else who would only "come clean" if he'd make a buck doing it. Sad and pathetic human behavior. Not worthy of any award!
    Hey, I guess great minds think alike
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Not to get too OT here, but I disagree. Yeah he's opinionated, but nowhere near the level of stupidity of a Jim Rome.
    Just because he's not the worst doesn't mean he's not terrible.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

I did mention i was paraphrasing.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Canseco was a MAJOR factor in making steroids popular. Every team he's played on has an aura of suspicion floating around over them, and nearly every teammate he had has that same cloud. Giambi, Palmeiro, Mac. All their numbers tainted by suspicion.

But had he not written that book, we aren't having this discussion right now. Congress does not intervene, and MLB does not enact the toughest drug penalties in their history. Maybe some of this happens eventually, but certainly not now or in the forseeable future. Bud finally had some leverage against the toughest labor union in professional sports, but it took an Act of Congress and a book to get it.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I did mention i was paraphrasing.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Canseco was a MAJOR factor in making steroids popular. Every team he's played on has an aura of suspicion floating around over them, and nearly every teammate he had has that same cloud. Giambi, Palmeiro, Mac. All their numbers tainted by suspicion.

But had he not written that book, we aren't having this discussion right now. Congress does not intervene, and MLB does not enact the toughest drug penalties in their history. Maybe some of this happens eventually, but certainly not now or in the forseeable future. Bud finally had some leverage against the toughest labor union in professional sports, but it took an Act of Congress and a book to get it.
    That still does not mean he should be rewarded. There is also the fact that if he didn't take the drugs in the first place, he would not be a part of this discussion. The only way I could seem him getting credit is if he had been a behind the scenes informant that received no benefit (other than the good feelings that come from doing the right thing without seeking personal benefit) from divulging the information.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

it's a thin line, but baseball is a strange sport. Gaylor Perry is in the Hall. He cheated. He wrote a book and profited from the sale of that book. But it's ok, because he doctored a ball, and not his body.

Had Canseco not done what he did, Amphetemines do not show up on the banned list. At least not for a while.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-17-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: cuz i'm an idiot.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Okay... Jose single-handily introduced and eliminated steroids according to Cowherd.
    He also brought weightlifting to baseball... I'll let Honus Wagners ghost know that.

Phil Neikro is in the Hall. He cheated. He wrote a book and profited from the sale of that book. But it's ok, because he doctored a ball, and not his body.
    Gaylord Perry?

it's a thin line, but baseball is a strange sport. Phil Neikro is in the Hall. He cheated. He wrote a book and profited from the sale of that book. But it's ok, because he doctored a ball, and not his body.

Had Canseco not done what he did, Amphetemines do not show up on the banned list. At least not for a while.

I think you mean Gaylord Perry? Niekro threw a knuckleball which is perfectly legal. Perry admitted he threw a spitball,not legal.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

yeah. having internet problems. I meant Perry. I even looked Perry up on Baseball Reference.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?