Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

Re: Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

I just finished reading this, and yes Cowherd is all over the map. And regardless of the reasoning behind his arguement, it still merit's discussion.

The biggest problem with the hall of fame besides the writers is there is no set criteria for getting in. It seems to be about offensive or pitching prowess, and with very rare exceptions, defensive prowess (Ozzie Smith). The problem with this is what happened to Bill Mazeroski, and what is happening to Concepcion. Their stats say defensively they were similar player, but Davey was a pioneer on astroturf, and offensively, Ozzie would have a lot of trouble measuring up.

Yet the fame portion of the equation comes into play. As does the ESPN portion. Is Ozzie Smith HOF better than Davey? Is he a little better? Are they equals? My position is they are close enough to being equals that if one is in, the other should be as well, and that Larkin dwarfs both of them. But Fame plays a role, and as much as anyone wants to ignore it, It keeps deserving guys out, and includes Kirby Puckett. Kirby freaking Puckett.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He went on for a couple of days about Canseco around the time of the HOF announcement. I like Colin, he's pretty good, but once every few months he'll get on a kick that's so idiotic I have to turn the radio off because I can't stand it. His Canseco thing was one of those moments. He's so focused on the fame part that he'd much rather put in style over substance. I'd rather recognize excellence, not noise.

I do not think Canseco merits consideration for the Hall. I can appreciate the POV that off-the-field contributions should weigh into the discussion if appropriate. But considering the whole picture, I do not think Canseco merits inclusion, as he also contibuted greatly to the steriods that everyone criticizes now. Plus he was great on the filed only for a brief time, albeit he did have a unique combo of skills (40/40, etc). IMO off-the-field contributions need to have been solely positive, and and resulting in a distinct advancement or improvement of the product - not just helping to rid the game of something that should not have been there in the first place (especially if you were doing that also!).

It was truly an interesting point for a minute, then Colin just went on and on with it and basically made me turn off my radio because of the babble. I am not one for most of the sports-talk guys however, as so many of them, either by personality or by job definition, seem to become completely overbearing and almost idiotic with every opinion they take, almost never allowing for the fact they could be wrong.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

To me a good comp is actually Kirby Puckett. Nothing Kirby did was dominant. But he was liked, and we feel bad about the glaucoma.

But he's in the HOF. And Canseco has better numbers and longevity.

So is it the defense? If so, why is it that Concepcion, who was far better offensively, and similar defensively, was a pioneer for how the position was played on astroturf, and is an icon for latin players at the position is not in, but Ozzie Smith is?
    Last edited by TRF; 01-17-2006 at 12:39 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    Plus he was great on the filed only for a brief time, albeit he did have a unique combo of skills (40/40, etc).
    17 years. Yes, a lot as a DH, but that shouldn't have bearing on his arguement to be excluded, unless you are opposed on principle to DH's getting enshrined.
    Suck it up cupcake.

After I heard him comment that Eddie Guerrerro's death is not worthy to be discussed, I refused to listen to him anymore.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I hadn't heard that. Truly a dumb opinion.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I personally like Cowherd and think that some on this board dont like any hosts.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    I personally like Cowherd and think that some on this board dont like any hosts.

I openly said I don't care for many of the "radio personalities" that make a living giving their opinions on sports. Granted I have not heard them all, but most that I hear rub me the wrong way - maybe it's just the whole agressive, my-opinion-is-right mentality that I cannot get over. When someone can come off just generally making a good point without going over the top, yelling, or belittling others I do enjoy hearing other's opinions, even those to the contrary. But from the times I have heard CC, he does not fit that description. Granted, based on the first few times I heard him, I generally change the station if he's on now, so I may well miss some better moments.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    That's what gets people on the radio these days.
    Go Gators!

17 years. Yes, a lot as a DH, but that shouldn't have bearing on his arguement to be excluded, unless you are opposed on principle to DH's getting enshrined.

I was really referring to the fact he only played in >131 games 5 times. I'll grant you that he put up good performance #'s about 5-6 of those years he play partial seasons, but IMO it is just not enough. I don't have a problem with a great hitting DH making the HOF. I just don't think Jose was it. A few more 1988's sprinkled in there though, and I'd reconsider.

Not to hijack the thread but here is a transcript that I found with Cowherd after the death of Eddie. It's long, but this will explain why many can't listen to "The Herd."

On Tuesday, November 15, 2005 at 10:39 AM EST

Yesterday on "The Herd with Colin Cowherd" radio program on ESPN Radio, a segment in the show took place where the death of Eddie Guerrero was brought up. Soon after this took place, reports hit the internet that Cowherd made some disrespectful remarks about Guerrero and that his death wasn't "newsworthy" to the public.

The following is a transcript exclusive to WrestleView.com in which the comments were made by Cowherd on his program yesterday that is currently archived over on ESPNradio.com:

"The Herd with Colin Cowherd"
    November 14, 2005

Part of show this takes place: 02:04:24

Colin Cowherd: Okay. I'm going to ask you a question. Compus (sp?) and I got into this argument earlier today. I did not know this. He is a big wrestling fan. I have no idea about wrestling. The last wrestling match I watched was my high school. It was dark and the only people there were girlfriends and family. It was high school wrestling and all the girls were dating the wrestlers.

A professional wrestler died over the weekend, Eddie Guerrero. I don't know anything about him. Apparently he is a big star. He was like 38 years old, died in his hotel room, nobody is quite sure why, blah blah blah, I don't care why. But I made the argument that there are certain careers, if I was the sports editor of a large major newspaper, I don't think I would put Eddie Guerrero's death in the sports page.

Now...you could say, whoa, that is insensitive. First of all, it's not sports, it is theatre. They are decided before they play. Now somebody argues with me, what about Hulk Hogan? I wouldn't put Hulk Hogan's death in the sports section. He transcends sports. He is a cultural phenomenon.

(Another host interjects - I believe his name was Chad)

Except for his wonderful movie career (in a joking manner).

(Back to Cowherd)

Yes, it was quite promising (makes another joke).

(Other host interjects again)

But it is news, where do you put it?

(Back to Cowherd)

Not everything death is news. For instance...

(Other hosts again interjects)

But five million people watch it.

(Cowherd)

Lets say a cessna (plane) goes down carrying Martha Stewart, it's news. If it goes down carrying Jim Lewis, it isn't news. It isn't making USA Today. We as a society decided that certain people's deaths get in the paper and certain people's deaths do not.

(Other hosts chimes in)

Just because you don't know who Eddie Guerrero is doesn't make him any less of a celebrity to other people. Now if a hockey player died, it would mean nothing to me. But that would obviously go in the sports page because he is a professional athlete of some sort. Eddie Guerrero is a big star. Five million people watch him.

(Cowherd)

He is not an athlete.

(Back to other host)

He is an athlete. He isn't a sports figure.

(Cowherd)

Again, why would I put him in the sports page?

(Other host)

Where would you put him?

(Cowherd)

I wouldn't put him anywhere in the newspaper.

(Other host)

You wouldn't put him in the newspaper?

(Cowherd)

No. I would put The Rock in because he has done movies. He is bigger than sports.

(Other host)

What about a TV actor? What if a soap opera star died?

(Cowherd)

He goes into the Entertainment/Life section.

(Other host)

Then why doesn't Eddie Guerrero go in? He is on TV. He is a TV star.

(Cowherd)

Oh...boy...that is wobbly. I've never even heard of him.

(Other host)

Again, what do we say all the time on this show? Don't assume everyone thinks the way you do.

(Cowherd)

Everybody clearly does, but go ahead.

(Both hosts laugh)

(Other host continues)

I instantly knew this guy and I would love to read more about it. So if you are a newspaper, you have an audience.

(Cowherd asks someone else in studio if he heard of Eddie Guerrero)

I thought it was Eddie Guardado, I told you this morning, Eddie Guardado, Mariners closer.

(Other host)

Eddie Guerrero dying is far more signifcant than Eddie Guardado dying.

(Cowherd)

Here is the problem. Sports fans know him, but it's not an athlete in sports. Entertainment people don't...sports fans who watch wrestling don't read the Entertainment section. So you are wasting space in the Entertainment section. I'm not...it's nothing against him, but we decided as a society, certain people get in the newspaper when they die. Here is a prime example. When I was doing my little show in Portland, and if I had gotten hit by a bread truck, I wouldn't make the USA Today. If I got hit by a bread truck today, and it's entirely possible in my neighborhood because bread trucks drive way too fast, but if I was run over today, I might get a little blip. It would be like a line. The Herd, obnoxious, not a very nice guy, got run over by a bread truck. Now lets continue on to more important news. But I'd probably make it, there would be a line in USA Today. So, I could die the same way, I could die in the same city, but becuase you are more renoun, it affects where it's going to be put. Now the Compus (sp?) was incredibly offended by this and I know what you are saying, Colin, it is wrestling. I know it's wrestling. I don't like wrestling. I don't ever watch wrestling. I vaguely know the Hulk wrestled, there is a guy named Jimmy Superfly Snuka when I was a kid, I liked him a lot. First of all, he invented the sleeper hold, don't let anyone tell you anything differently. I'm not into wrestling, but I'll make an argument right here. Toughest man who ever lived. Including Mike Ditka. Jimmy Superfly Snuka. Don't screw with me on that one. Alright Brian, you are the editor of a major newspaper, the New York whatever, where do you put the story?

(No response from a caller)

He is a wrestling fan and he can't even figure out the radio business. (Another caller comes on named Tim). Alright Tim, where would you put the story?

(Caller)

Way back. Bury it some where.

(Cowherd)

Sports or non-sports?

(Caller)

Non.

(Cowherd)

See. I'm the same way. It's not sports to me.

(Caller)

Yeah. Those guys are not athletes. 90% are probably juiced up and they just run around. Like you said it is theatre. It's not a sport.

(Other host in a sarcastic manner)

Because yeah, sports guys don't juice. Baseball guys don't do that.

(Cowherd laughs and adds)

God if that is the ruling, Sosa will never get on the sports page. George you are in The Herd, go ahead.

(Second caller)

Hey Colin, I actually work for a newspaper. I'm kinda in between on this one though.

(Cowherd)

So you work at a newspaper right?

(Caller)

Yeah.

(Cowherd)

Where did your newspaper put the death of Eddie Guerrero?

(Caller)

If there was space, it was put on or put some where else. Our obiutaries are paid obituaries. I don't even think there is space for Eddie.

(Cowherd)

Lemme say this. Why can't you do this? You know in the obituaries section where they have like Gert passed away, Palm Springs, 1984. And Hank passed away. Why couldn't you put Eddie Guerrero's picture in the obituaries with a big mask on. He would be like the wrestler, passed away doing steroids.

(Another caller, Cowherd asks him same question)

It depends. It ranks up there with Junkyard Dog's death. I think it would go in the Entertainment section. You struck a cord with me though. Jimmy Superfly Snuka was not tougher than the British Bulldog or JYD. I mean you wanna go old school wrestling, we can do that.

(Cowherd laughs and adds)

When it comes to pro wrestling, I'm old school.

(Caller)

Here is the thing. Our generation, and you kinda move past my generation as you move into your 60's (says jokingly), we grew up with wrestling. At some point, you passed out from a sleeper hold wrestling with a brother. Your brother put you in some hold you saw on TV. Somone has done a top rope move and then your parents came in to break it up. That is our generation. That is what we went through.

(Cowherd)

So you would put it in the Entertainment section?

(Caller)

Yeah, they are entertainers. It is a nitch entertainment business now. We all assumed it was fake and now we know that. But I agree with Chad, a lot more people watch this stuff than we give credit for. Plus, Chad is right, not everyone thinks like you. If we did, Monday Night Football would only last a quarter because you go to sleep.

(Another caller chimes in and says Guerrero's death doesn't belong in the newspaper at all since they don't post results for pro wrestling matches or WrestleMania. They then move on to the next segment)

Now that a transcript is out of what is said, it may shed some light as to just what Cowherd said. It is incredibly obvious from the start that Cowherd doesn't like pro wrestling and quite frankly doesn't care about the tragic death of Eddie Guerrero. We are aware of a petition making the rounds asking for the firing of Cowherd from ESPN Radio.

There have also been reports stating that ESPN was overwhelmed with negative feedback about the comments, so much so that other people from different departments were brought in to handle the large of phone calls coming in about the situation. Cowherd's show started 40 minutes ago on ESPN Radio and it remains to be seen if he will respond to the situation at hand.
    Here is the statement that ESPN released regarding the comments per Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, which is the most respected wrestling publication in the US:

ESPN radio released a statement regarding Colin Cowherd: "While some comments attributed to Colin Cowherd were taken out of context and are inaccurate, we do apologize for a statement implying that Eddie Guerrero's death was steroid related."
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-18-2006 at 07:49 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Canseco belongs in the hall of fame.

The Dumbass Hall of Fame.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Jpup, what's that supposed to mean? It's his opinion. It's his show, and he can give his opinion. I'm the biggest wrestling fan on this board and was personally hit hard by Eddie's death, but Colin is entitled to feel how he feels.

I would rather listen to a guy who is passionate that I don't agree with than a by the book, "yes" man.

Colin is a humorus, great radio host. IMO of course.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Jpup, what's that supposed to mean? It's his opinion. It's his show, and he can give his opinion. I'm the biggest wrestling fan on this board and was personally hit hard by Eddie's death, but Colin is entitled to feel how he feels.

I would rather listen to a guy who is passionate that I don't agree with than a by the book, "yes" man.

Colin is a humorus, great radio host. IMO of course.
    it means, he is an idiot.

Turn Off Ads?