Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

Re: Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd?

Well, then I'm an idiot too, because I totally agree with him. I don't doubt that it was a big deal to wrestling fans, but in the grand scheme of things it simply isn't a big enough story to most of the population. And it certainly isn't sports. Wrestling is a niche, and Eddie Guerrero simply didn't transcend it like Hulk Hogan or the Rock. Sorry wrestling fans, but the reality is it's not a newsworthy story to 98% of the population.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All dyslexics must untie!

I used to call him "College Football" Cowherd when he was in the PDX market, because that's all he ever talked about, even in the summer. I only listen to Colin from 7:25-7:35 AM, PST during his "Spanning the Globe" segment. Interviews with 4-5 "journalists" from other markets. I consider it time well spent
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm
    I used to call him "College Football" Cowherd when he was in the PDX market, because that's all he ever talked about, even in the summer. I only listen to Colin from 7:25-7:35 AM, PST during his "Spanning the Globe" segment. Interviews with 4-5 "journalists" from other markets. I consider it time well spent
    He has the 'Daily Football Fix' even in the middle of the summer he finds some way to talk about football. I can't say I'm a fanof the segment but it's because I like baseball more of course.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Well, then I'm an idiot too, because I totally agree with him. I don't doubt that it was a big deal to wrestling fans, but in the grand scheme of things it simply isn't a big enough story to most of the population. And it certainly isn't sports. Wrestling is a niche, and Eddie Guerrero simply didn't transcend it like Hulk Hogan or the Rock. Sorry wrestling fans, but the reality is it's not a newsworthy story to 98% of the population.
    niche? Millions of people watch wrestling every week. It's among the highest rated television programs every single week. You have a right to your opinion, but more than 2% of the population knows who he is. Wrestlers are deffinitely atheletes in every sense of the word. There nothing more atheletic than going 30 or 60 minutes with a live crowd breathing down your neck. I guess Kurt Angle isn't an athelete?

Eddie was/is more popular than Colin Cowherd will ever be. He's a poor excuse for a Jim Rome wannabe.
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-19-2006 at 03:16 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I am in no way a fan of "pro wrestling". I do not depise it either. I sometimes will check in on it while channel-surfing and there is nothing good on those 100+ channels that I pay dearly for each month. I probably see 15-20 minutes of wrestling a month (if that). I knew who Eddie Guerrero was.

Is it a sport? Does Eddie deserve mention in the sports section? I say "no" to both questions. It is definitely entertainment and not a sport. A sport to me is when both sides in the game are trying to win... we all know that this is not the case in wrestling. Does Eddie deserve any mention when he passed away? Sure. He is an entertainer that millions know. I'd put the story on page 2 of the front-page section... where most "entertainers in their everyday life/death" stories are found.

BTW... I wonder how many pro wrestlers have died a premature death in the last 10-15 years? Is there any real sport that rivals the number of premature dead wrestlers? Sad. Almost seems as though some of these guys are making a pact w/ the devil to become known in the world of pro wrestling.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Wrestling has replaced the circus. In fact, I equate wrestling performers to circus stars. Nobody thinks the lion will beat the lion tamer, but we gasp just the same.

I know wrestlers die. I know a lot of their health problems are because what they do is not regulated. Steroid use was and is rampant in the industry. Eddie's death bothered me for quite a while. We are the same age, and I was looking forward to the program he was working with Batista. He was the kind of performer that could make you love him or hate him with a look. He could have easily made the transition to actor. He was a natural.

So on this, Cowherd is wrong.

The 5-6 years Canseco was at the top of his game, he was elite. He was the first 40-40 guy. His impact rippled through all of baseball. Because he was in 3 straight WS, he was on the national stage showing his physique to the world. It's no coincidence players stopped looking like John Kruk, and started looking like Jose. And not all of them were aided chemically. Some got it naturally. Take Reggie Sanders. Dude is ripped. Never a sniff or hint that he's ever been involved in steroids. WMP is a monster. Guys are working out more, and Canseco is a big part of why.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Guys are working out more, and Canseco is a big part of why.
    But Cal Ripken is probably even a bigger and better role model for the result of the workout.

But a deltoid and a bicep.
    A hot groin and a tricep.
    Makes me, oooh, shake,
    Makes me want to take Charles Atlas by the ...ha-ha-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    There are only about 5 wrestlers that would make headline news.

Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Vince McMahon himself, or Ric Flair.

Everyone else is only known to wrestling fans mainly.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    There are only about 5 wrestlers that would make headline news.

Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin, Vince McMahon himself, or Ric Flair.

Everyone else is only known to wrestling fans mainly.
    Not if you live in the southwest. Then add Terry Funk, Eddie, and even Rey-Rey.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?