Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soto, Browning to become Reds spring coaches

Soto, Browning to become Reds spring coaches

According to Pic on 1360AM this morning, Mario Soto and Tom Browning will become Reds coaches in some capacity this upcoming year. He said he heard it last night at a Sports Stag. Take it for what it's worth.

Has Soto ever been a coach before???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rumor: Soto,Browning to become Reds coaches

Interesting.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66
    Has Soto ever been a coach before???
    Not AFAIK. Browning has coaching experience with the Florence Freedom, but some here say that his track record as a coach is more of a detriment than an asset.

I'd sooner think those guys might be helping out at as "coaches" at ST than taking on any permanent role.

The Reds badly need some Dominican/Venezuelan presence in the coaching and leadership ranks. I'd love to see Soto get a job. Browning.... I dunno.

This just in; Reds have taken to doing things "The Dodger Way". Sadly, this means loyalty above all else, including skill, talent, and brains. That said, it's a shame we weren't able to keep Rijo in the fold. His connections and presence in the Dominican are invaluable.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

WOW... talk about a step in the wrong direction. Hopefully they are ST jobs. Soto I can understand but Browning... WOW.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

More "hire local guys" balony.
    Go Gators!

I know Davey Concepcion owns a big trucking company and is a very busy business man but I would love to see him work with the Reds in some way...maybe with thier middle infielders.

I think it would help him with his bid for the HOF.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Perhaps the last two good starting pitchers to come up through the system will add some perspective on where the team's been going wrong all these years. Browning in particular might be of some use in convincing kids to use their fastball as a weapon even if it's not the world's greatest fastball. I also like that neither guy was slider/curve reliant. Seems to me that speed and location have been underemphasized by the organization, which for many years seemed to be in search of kids who could throw a wrinkle pitch.
    Last edited by M2; 01-17-2006 at 11:18 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Interesting point M2. Leo Mazzone was on XM the other night talking about how Maddux spent at least 75% of his time working on his fastball. The basic idea being that a fastball you can place well makes every single pitch in your arsenal that much more effective. Unless your fastball is 95+, location and movement are all that really matter. Once you can paint the black with a 90 mph fastball, that slider/curve doesn't have to catch the corner or fool somebody out of their pants everytime.

From watching Harang the few times I could last year, it seems like this is what clicked for him.

I really don't care if some people think Browning is a jerk. Bringing Soto and Browning seems like a good idea, particularly given that this organization is going to have trouble attracting proven coaching talent. As M2 pointed out, it would be nice to have some people in the organization that actually had great success pitching.

IIRC, Soto was helping out Rijo in his academy. I think Soto also has experience coaching or managing in the Dominican leagues. Don't assume this is the buddy system at work. These guys might be qualified.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Soto may be qualified, I am not sure. I have just read and heard to much about Browning that leads me to believe he should never be a coach.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

If Soto can teach these pitchers how to use a changeup....then i am all for it.
    I have said in the past, the changeup is, along with a well placed fastball, one of the best pitches to use on hitters. He had one of the best.

Browning can teach them how to sit on roofs and smoke the wacky weed.

Adding to what is previously reported, Browning called into the show and said he doesn't thoroughly know what he is going to do but was told to be there before spring training begins. He thinks he will be working with the left-handed pitchers. Looks like it could be just a ST gig for both.

Leo Mazzone couldn't pitch. Ray Miller couldn't pitch. Mike Maddux was a forgettable middle reliever. Don Gullett was a great pitcher.

Last thing I want is a coach who is limited by what he himself could do on the mound. You want a coach who has that so-called "negative capability" of being able to absent himself in the interest of understanding how his pupils think and what his pupils can do.

Turn Off Ads?