Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soto, Browning to become Reds spring coaches

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Rumor: Soto,Browning to become Reds coaches

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    The flip side of that coin may be that Browning and/or Sabo aren't too impressed with Team Clark----they simply don't post their opinions here.

It's not my intention to slight TC here. I'm simply pointing out that there are two sides to the story and it's based upon one poster's opinion. Based on one opinion, I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Rem
    Great point. Although Sabes and I keep in touch and still have a good relationship. He just happens to quit most things he starts. Browning on the other hand... no excuse for showing up to games in the 4th, 5th and 7th innings. Cancelling travel days so HE could go golfing. Telling stories about illegal activities and acting like it's something you are supposed to do. Terrible role model.
    Last edited by Team Clark; 01-19-2006 at 09:22 PM.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Rumor: Soto,Browning to become Reds coaches

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My take always was that Browning was reacting to the horrid situation around him with that club. It sounded to me like Browning simply refused to act like a mess wasn't a mess. Probably should have known better than to take the job in the first place, but I'm not going to look past the potential positives he brings because he wasn't a good fit with a Frontier League club.

Aside from that, I don't know too many talented people with expertise who'd work an entry-level position even it was in a well-run organization.

Think about it, you make good money as a baseball player and then those that have something to contribute back to the game are asked to work for peanuts in backwaters where they're sometimes not even involved in prospect development. Why bother? It's like asking someone who's been on an executive board to sweep up. It seems like a perfect way to drive away excellence and reward dogged mediocrity.
    Keep in mind that a growing number of ex-major leaguers were and are managers in the Frontier League. What I found most amazing is that NONE of the big leaguers who were managing in the Frontier League when I was there wanted anything to do with "Browny". He had already destroyed his rep with those guys a long time ago.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?