Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Harang is in the books for one year at $2.35 million

Aaron Harang is in the books for one year at $2.35 million

Per Lancaster blog.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Harang is in the books for one year at $2.35 million

I like that. If we was willing to go that low for next year, how low could we do to keep him for more? How many more years of arb. does he have left? 2?

That seems fairly reasonable.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Heck of a bargain if he proves to be the ace this year.

BTW, you're quick DJF33! Marc posted that 11 minutes before you did.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I like that. If we was willing to go that low for next year, how low could we do to keep him for more? How many more years of arb. does he have left? 2?
    Yes, two more years of arb. You get a total of three.

There are restrictions about whom you can compare yourself to in terms of service time during your first arb hearing, so the fact that this was Aaron's first arb year helped suppress his salary. Obviously, if he put his '05 numbers up as a free agent-to-be, he'd have gotten a much bigger deal.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Heck of a bargain if he proves to be the ace this year.

BTW, you're quick DJF33! Marc posted that 11 minutes before you did.

I was just tired of that little message at the top of the page telling me to post something!

I am just now shifting from football to baseball mode. It has been a little tough this year with such a bleak outlook on the 2006 season. Maybe some more good news will get me fully turned around so I can regularly contribute!

That's slightly higher than I had him pegged. I figured $2M. Felipe should come in around the same number.

So far the Reds have had six arb-eligibles sign and have given out just over $6M in raises. Obviously Dunn and FeLo still have to settle, but the club will come in well under the $15M in wiggle it had from punting Graves, Ortiz, Jiminez, Randa and Weber.
    Last edited by M2; 01-17-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    So far the Reds have had six arb-eligibles sign and have given out just over $6M in raises.
    I'd like to think that this is where the Casey money went and I think it's a better investment.

got alil captain in u?

bargain price hoepfully we can alock him up long term one of these years

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Any REDS starter with a sub-4.00 ERA (Aaron = 3.83) should be given the GABP, Paul Bown Stadium and the Freedom Center Museum. And throw in the Westin Hotel and the Main Street district as well.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I'd like to think that this is where the Casey money went and I think it's a better investment.
    So the rest is just a grauitous payroll slash?

Hey, I was all for trading Casey, just not in return for Dave Williams.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    So the rest is just a grauitous payroll slash?

Hey, I was all for trading Casey, just not in return for Dave Williams.
    the only thing the trade of Casey did is open up 1B for Dunn which long term is going to be his best position, as he is never going to be anything but below average in the OF.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

If these signings of our most talented youngsters don't show folks what a waste of time and money it is to turn to the FA market for costly underperforming vets, nothing will.

I've said this before but I think it bears repeating, with the current system, a team that can keep bringing through young talent to replace old talent getting ready to not be able to even come close to matching salary demands with production (see the Oakland model yet again, as I swallow a bit more of that tasty crow, pass the salt, please) is the one that can either win with a modest payroll or make a mint by keeping payroll costs down while yet winning.

A shrewd owner would quit paying millions to the Eric Miltons, Jeff Weavers, Jerrod Freaking Washburns, et al and make the top talent evaluating GM and his right and left hand men very comfortable, plus pay for an aces guy to oversee player development, the guy would make a ton of money in MLB. He or she wouldn't have to hold taxpayers hostage, they would have enough cash rolling in that it would be fun writing checks for the ballpark. The first thing I would do if buying a MLB franchise is pay Billy Beane, John Schuerholz, or Walt Jocketty about $5M a year and their buddies could make about $1M apiece (which is cheaper than one crappy veteran FA pitcher) because I know they'd make me at least tenfold of that by just being better than everybody else at the game.
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-17-2006 at 04:00 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    If these signings of our most talented youngsters don't show folks what a waste of time and money it is to turn to the FA market for costly underperforming vets, nothing will.

I've said this before but I think it bears repeating, with the current system, a team that can keep bringing through young talent to replace old talent getting ready to not be able to even come close to matching salary demands with production (see the Oakland model yet again, as I swallow a bit more of that tasty crow, pass the salt, please) is the one that can either win with a modest payroll or make a mint by keeping payroll costs down while yet winning.

A shrewd owner would quit paying millions to the Eric Miltons, Jeff Weavers, Jerrod Freaking Washburns, et al and make the top talent evaluating GM and his right and left hand men very comfortable, plus pay for an aces guy to oversee player development, the guy would make a ton of money in MLB. He or she wouldn't have to hold taxpayers hostage, they would have enough cash rolling in that it would be fun writing checks for the ballpark. The first thing I would do if buying a MLB franchise is pay Billy Beane, John Schuerholz, or Walt Jocketty about $5M a year and their buddies could make about $1M apiece (which is cheaper than one crappy veteran FA pitcher) because I know they'd make me at least tenfold of that by just being better than everybody else at the game.
    Good point about building around quality leadership. That's a corporate concept that often seems lacking in professional sports.

But I've been turning over the idea of Jeff Weaver in my mind of late and I'm starting to think that he might be worth a one-year flyer. No way I'd want him for more than that, but the Reds have some spending room in the budget (or at least they should) and Weaver's probably looking to prove himself on a one-year deal at the moment. You probably could whip-saw him on price because he'll cost you a second rounder (though hopefully pick up something better than that at the trade deadline or next winter).

Weaver's got his downside and it's significant, but whoever gets him on a one-year deal gets him at what should be his most focused and in his prime. You might be able to steal a year with the guy, kind of like what Cleveland did with Millwood. The Reds can offer lots of offensive support and if he falls flat he's off the books soon enough.

Not that this idea thrills me, just that it's not as unappealing as a lot of other options facing the club at the moment. Who knows, maybe bringing in Weaver would get Dunn, Harang and Felipe talking LTC.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The first thing I would do if buying a MLB franchise is pay Billy Beane, John Schuerholz, or Walt Jocketty ...
    While I agree that Jocketty is a good GM, he certainly hasn't gotten there through the farm route.

Look at the Cards roster. Only Pujols, Molina are original Cards from the starting 8, and only Thompson from the expected pitching staff. The Cards ability to spend a pretty hefty payroll (wisely) is their claim to fame, not a remarkable farm system.

Turn Off Ads?