Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunn not named on USA roster...as of now

Dunn not named on USA roster...as of now

Marc Lancaster Blog:

Where's Adam?
    The intial Team USA roster for the World Baseball Classic is out, and Ken Griffey Jr. is among the six outfielders listed. Missing? Adam Dunn. Not sure what the deal is there, as I've thought all along Dunn had a better chance of really playing in this thing than Junior. There is still time for Dunn to be added, though. The deadline isn't until tomorrow, and Team USA named just 42 of the maximum false

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Dunn not named on USA roster...as of now

I could have sworn I posted in another thread on this topic this morning, but it's gone now.

Don't worry, I got your back

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I could have sworn I posted in another thread on this topic this morning, but it's gone now.
    Board is eating posts again..told it not to go off its diet.
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Just heard them announce the 10 additional names... Dunn is NOT among them. Among new outfielders are Randy Winn, Matt Holiday, Jeff Francouer, and Luis Gonzalez. My guess is that Dunner turned them down, because obviously it's not a question of talent.

Maybe he'll play first base rather than the outfield?

Why would he turn them down when he already announced that he wanted to do it?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Nope -- he's not on the roster at all. ARod, Chavez, and Craig Counsell were added in the IF. No Dunn. Go figure.

Perhaps he was left off the roster because he is switching positions? He is not proven at 1B yet...maybe that is why they left him off.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Maybe the Reds told him no. could be? who knows? let's hope that this is by Adam's choosing and not by someone elses or for some other reason. I'm sure Lancaster will dig something up soon.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

This might just be good news for the Reds. First of all, if AD is going to switch to first base he needs to spend ST gettings reps at the position.

Secondly, if Dunn was, in fact, passed over maybe it'll be the burr under his saddle that'll ignite a huge season for him.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the World Baseball games. I'm only interested in seeing the Reds put their most competitive team on the field.

Rem

I can't see them passing on him if he was willing to play. My guess is that he declined. I understand they had to advise the team if they were willing to play weeks ago before the selection process began.

And wouldn't it be great if he turned it down so he could work hard on getting better at first base?

He could raise his stock considerably if he took that attitude.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Maybe the Reds told him no. could be? who knows? let's hope that this is by Adam's choosing and not by someone elses or for some other reason. I'm sure Lancaster will dig something up soon.
    The Reds aren't allowed to tell him no. They aren't even allowed to discourage him or any player from playing. The Cardinals had 5 players invited, but only two accepted. The players deckined themselves. The Cardinals were happy about it, but it was totally up to the players... not the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    The Reds aren't allowed to tell him no. They aren't even allowed to discourage him or any player from playing. The Cardinals had 5 players invited, but only two accepted. The players deckined themselves. The Cardinals were happy about it, but it was totally up to the players... not the Cardinals.
    You are mistaken. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255872

Jorge Posada was ready to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. Unfortunately for Posada, the New York Yankees had other ideas.

The Yankees blocked Posada from participating, telling Major League Baseball that Posada was indispensable and was concerned the heavy workload he incurs during the season would be added to and might cause injury, The New York Post reported.

"As a courtesy I called the Yankees to advise them that Jorge wanted to participate in the World Baseball Classic," agent Seth Levinson told the paper. "The Yankees filed an objection that was accepted and Jorge was not eligible despite his desire to play."

Posada felt an urge to represent Puerto Rico in the tournament, wanting to make his family proud.

"I wanted to play since my family is from Puerto Rico, it's where I am from and I was excited," Posada told The Post. "I was the first one to ask for the documents. I can't do anything about it. The Yankees have the last word. I respect that and I will prepare for spring training like I always do."

Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano are expected to play in the WBC. Hideki Matsui will likely be added to the Japan roster as well.
    Last edited by Jpup; 01-18-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

He certainly sounded excited about it when he first decided to play.

I too hope he decided against it because of changing positions. But I hope the Reds did not make the decision for him. That could make him think twice about that long-term contract... that is, if he really really wanted to participate.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Since the other thread is AWOL, I'll repost and expand upon what I posted yesterday.

I would prefer to see Reds players continue with their offseason regimen rather than play in this tournament.

This thing starts on March 12 and the NCAA basketball tourney starts March 14. It's foolish for MLB to compete with March Madness for US fans' attention and ad dollars. Maybe Bud will learn his lesson when he sees the TV ratings.

Turn Off Ads?