Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice Gretzky Story for Hockey Fans

Re: Nice Gretzky Story for Hockey Fans

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Loved that team, I had season tickets.

Bill DeWitt Jr. owned the Stingers and the facility too.
    IMO...if they had gotten into that WHA "merger of 4" with the NHL - the Stingers would have been a Stanley Cup winner.

Now, time to back off my meds.

BTW - Brief Hockey History - only one of the 4 WHA teams are still in place -Edmonton- The other three have been moved to other cities.
    Last edited by Heath; 01-19-2006 at 02:46 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    On a completely separate note, I just learned that the 1978-79 Cincinnati Stingers had, in addition to team star Robbie Ftorek, a trio of kids named Mike Liut, Mike Gartner and Mark Messier.

Great teams have been built around less.
    Don't forget Barry Melrose!!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I have been told I am a fool, but I didn't attend a single hockey game in the 5 years I was at BGSU.
    You're a fool.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Don't forget Barry Melrose!!
    Also on that team was Rick Dudley, who played regularly in the NHL before and after his WHA stint. Tough guy defenseman Bryan Watson made the Stingers his last stop that season. Forwards Peter Marsh and Jamie Hislop played the next five seasons in the NHL. In for a cup of coffee was Gerry Meehan (he hired Dudley), who went on to GM the Sabres, siging Alex Mogilny and trading for some spastic Czech goalie named Hasek along the way.

I don't know who was running the player operation with the Stingers that season (some guy named Ryan did after the WHA folded and Jacques Demers coached them the year before), but whoever it was had an eagle eye for hockey talent, brought a lot of good and bright people through the door.

I suspect if the Stingers had been one of the clubs absorbed into the NHL they'd have made a fast transition like the Nordiques did and then risen up as a legitimate title contender in the '80s like the Oilers did.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    IMO...if they had gotten into that WHA "merger of 4" with the NHL - the Stingers would have been a Stanley Cup winner.

Now, time to back off my meds.

BTW - Brief Hockey History - only one of the 4 WHA teams are still in place -Edmonton- The other three have been moved to other cities.
    I also imagine that if the Stingers had made it into the NHL as part of the merger, they'd be one of the teams that ended up in another part of the country.

I just don't see Cincinnati as a market that can sustain a professional hockey franchise given the direction and pricing the NHL took through the late 80s and the 90s.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I just don't see Cincinnati as a market that can sustain a professional hockey franchise given the direction and pricing the NHL took through the late 80s and the 90s.
    That's why DeWitt took the buyout, the seats were more empty than full back then.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That's why DeWitt took the buyout, the seats were more empty than full back then.
    Those were rough years for much of the NHL too. On the other side of the state the Cleveland Barons laid an egg (the Stingers probably had a better team).

See, that would have been some type of marketing job that could have been done, if and ONLY if, the Stingers stayed in town.

There would have been no Blue Jackets or anything like that. Riverfront would have to have went over some major remodeling project.

I think the City would have taken the Stingers under their wings. Especially if they were winning.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    who went on to GM the Sabres, siging Alex Mogilny and trading for some spastic Czech goalie named Hasek along the way.
    I'm pretty sure it was Muckler that aquired Hasek from Chicago. I could be wrong though...
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I'm pretty sure it was Muckler that aquired Hasek from Chicago. I could be wrong though...
    Meehan was the Sabres GM from 12/2/86 to 7/30/93. Hasek was acquired on 8/7/92.

My time line was off M2...I remember Muckler talking about Wayne Presley who the Sabres had acquired from Chicago recomending a trade for Hasek.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    My time line was off M2...I remember Muckler talking about Wayne Presley who the Sabres had acquired from Chicago recomending a trade for Hasek.
    Muckler coached the Sabres for two seasons before he became the GM, which I think is why he sometimes gets credit for it. To his credit he did elevate the Dominator over Grant Fuhr and Darren Puppa. Of course, being a Rangers fan I'm not inclined to say many nice things about John Muckler.

He had little chocie in a way. Fuhr was hurt and Hasek came in and played out of his mind. I was a Fuhr fan and thought it was a mistake to stick with Hasek - shows how much I know/knew.

I went to the last game that year and saw Fuhr play i think was his last game for the Sabres.

I hope I am not wrong this time around about Sabre net minders as I have been pimping Ryan Miller since he was drafted.

Speaking of the Sabres, how awesome is Chris Drury? He's probably my favorite player in the league. Nice to see him teamed up with his ex-B.U. running mate Mike Grier as well.

Turn Off Ads?