Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil changes

oil changes

Okay, where is a good, cheap, reliable place in the Dayton Mall area to get an oil change? I have no problem paying $20-$25 for an oil change, but some of these places charging $50 for this service is a little extreme, in my opinion. Also, when I go in to get my oil changed, and I'm told that it is going to take longer than an hour...that is just not acceptable. I've done the Wal-Mart thing, just tried there before heading to work, but they told me that they couldn't change my oil and have my car ready in time for me to make it to work. Why when there are so many places that can change your oil in 10 minutes, Wal-Mart can't do it in less than an hour? Not to mention the last time I went there, they forgot to replace my engine coolant. They emptied my old coolant, just didn't put any new in.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Re: oil changes

Best best is to change it yourself. Most of the quick lube places aren't staffed with the smartest people in the world.

That's not really an option right now, as I don't have a garage, or even off street parking.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The one time I got my oil changed out here, I went to Precision Tune on 741 in Moraine (at least I think it was in Moraine). It was on 741 heading away from the mall, and just before Dixie. The price was decent (although they were having a big special when I went), and they were quick and I haven't had problems since.

This is always a challenge - the cheap places take forever and you're a low priority there if that's all you're doing - because they're usually body or muffler/brake shops.

I go to Jiffy Lube when I have the extra $ and need a quick one - they at least vacumn the car, clean the windows, check tire pressure and all my filters and fluids etc..., It costs about $39 with standard oil and no new air filter or anything else.

Firestone isn't bad - they screwed up my change once right in front of me as they forgot the put the oil cap back on and tried pulling it out of the garage and it went everywhere - causing an extra 20 minute wait. I don't go there for anything other than tires anymore.

I cannot offer any help in the area - but my local CarX has some good fellas there that can get to me within a half hour normally - as long as it's not on a Saturday - calling the night before helps a lot to determine their workload.

You really have to check/call around and find a place you like and trust - Jiffy Lubes are just too ridiculously expensive - and changing it yourself is a huge pain IMO if you don't have the space, ramps, pan, etc.., to work with - plus it can take up to an hour and get you pretty dirty...just to save $20 not worth it IMO.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Savafan, there is a service that a few people at my office use. They come out in a van and change the oil right in our parking lot while your inside working. They seem very professional. They call a few minutes ahead of time and you walk the keys out to them. They call again and you pick up your keys. If I recall correctly, its quite a bit less expensive than the Jiffy Lube type places, though I don't know how "full service" it is ... if they check belts, hoses, fill up all fluids, etc.

I'll try to find a number for you, maybe they have something in your area. One of the guys has used them for years, so they must at least be decent.

I have a tire discounters within walking distance from work ... so I drop my car off and walk to work ... then pick it up and go to lunch. Works great.

GL

No Super WalMarts in the area? I get it done for under $20. I get it down around here at a couple different quickie lube places, and it has never cost me over $25. If someone is charging $50, then I'd laugh right in their faces. Ridiculous.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Savafan - not sure if this is applicable in your area, but you might as well call to check on it.

ON-SITE Oil Change Service
    - We come to your home or office.

Lori A. Andrews, Owner

937-433-4161

Note: I have not used this service myself, though the guy I got the number from does still use it from time to time. He thought it was $27.00 or so.

GL

Yep, $50 is crazy. Here in central Kentucky I can get it done at a Pennzoil place for $22.50 and they guarantee it to take no longer than 10 minutes from the time they take your keys.

Avoid Walmart for anything that you don't want to take a long time. They don't take appointments, so they get backed up quickly every day. Walmart does several things very well. Auto service is not one of them.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I quit going to the one quickie lube place here in town because they not only want to change your oil but are running over to you every five seconds trying to get you to buy something else - showing you your wiper blades are worn, your air filter may need replaced, when's the last time you flushed your radiator, yada, yadda, yadda. And of course their prices are triple.

JUST CHANGE THE OIL!!!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Post To Contact

Sava, not sure if there are any Monro joints down around your part of the area, but I know they've expanded quite a bit through the Dayton region recently so there's a good chance one is there. Anyhow, I got tired of changing my own oil because after a certain year, the oil pans are much more difficult to get to, and I don't feel like having ulnar replacement surgery in my elbow twisting the ratchet to get under there anymore. So I gave in and started having it done... anyhow, near my work is a Monro Muffler, and I've had it done there for anywhere from $13-20, depending on specials they have going on, which is often. Just another suggestion if you're still looking.

Thanks, I got it done at Wal Mart last week right before going to work. I had to go in on three different days before they could get me in between shifts, and it still took them 2 hours and had me running 10 minutes late getting to work. Luckily there weren't any highway patrolmen on the interstate that day. I am going to research for next time to find a different place.

For a Level Playing Field

Just had my done at 12:15 pm on a Wednesday. Took 15 minutes and cost $29.95 before tax. Of course they tried to sell me the kitchen sink, but a simple no each time stopped that (learning to say no is a great thing!). The location was a Grease Monkey a 1/4-mile north of the Kettering Meijer's store on Wilmington Pike.

The time thing was a bit lucky. 5 mintues after I pulled right into one of the two avail. spots, 4-5 more cars showed up. I am sure they waited longer than 15 minutes.

What about the Valvoline Instant Oil Change on Wilmington?

They tend to be a little cheaper - plus - IIRC - a little less pushy.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

For a Level Playing Field

Heath: What part of Wilmington Pike is that located? I went to the Grease Monkey b/c it was close to my work and convenient. I am curious about the Valvoline place. As far as I am concerned they all do the same thing (I hope... oil cap back in place, please!) and that makes time and $$$ the most important thing.

Thanks!

Turn Off Ads?