Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil changes

Re: oil changes

Savafan, there is a service that a few people at my office use. They come out in a van and change the oil right in our parking lot while your inside working. They seem very professional. They call a few minutes ahead of time and you walk the keys out to them. They call again and you pick up your keys. If I recall correctly, its quite a bit less expensive than the Jiffy Lube type places, though I don't know how "full service" it is ... if they check belts, hoses, fill up all fluids, etc.
    gonelong, my wife's company here in KC used to have a service like this that came around the employee parking lot while they were at work. Then one of the employees checked his oil and discovered that the company hadn't changed it at all.

I guess that could be an issue with any oil change you get anywhere, though. You should always check your fluids afterwards.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Heath: What part of Wilmington Pike is that located? I went to the Grease Monkey b/c it was close to my work and convenient. I am curious about the Valvoline place. As far as I am concerned they all do the same thing (I hope... oil cap back in place, please!) and that makes time and $$$ the most important thing.

Thanks!
    RFA - the one I used to use was the one on N. Fairfield, south of Fairfield Commons Mall. It is near Dayton-Xenia - I used it a lot when I was in college at Wright State.

The one I saw was on Wilmington south of 675. I can't remember though if it was north of 725 in all that retail stuff - or just south.

They have a website - just Google "Valvoline Instant Oil Change" - One would think they have maps, directions, or even coupons.

I just go to my local mechanic now. I've bought good quality used cars off him. I just have him drop me off at work and then I get a ride to pick it up after work.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    RFA - the one I used to use was the one on N. Fairfield, south of Fairfield Commons Mall. It is near Dayton-Xenia
    That's the one I go to. When they come to the window and start with the sales pitches, I just say "I only want an oil change" and that's that.

My mom went to Wal-Mart (the devil's work) once. They forgot to put the little keep the oil in the car bolty thing back on. Luckily she got home before all the oil drained out. She called WM and they told her to bring the car back in - without any oil. I got on the line and told them to come to her house with a bolty thing and several quarts of oil.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

I risk the ire of anyone who's ever had a bad experience at a dealership, but there are good ones out there. I've been a service director at a Chevy dealership in Toledo for 22 years. I have 2 full time lube techs. We charge 19.95 for most cars and about 22.00 for most trucks. We do them in a half hour including a car wash. We don't try to sell a bunch of junk like the quick lubes. We provide value because we don't want our customers going anywhere else for anything. We feel anyone who buys a new car is our customer first and if they go anywhere else we've lost them. Same family owned business since 1909.

VIOC is excellent. I got my oil changed there last night for $19.99 and was out in under ten minutes. Since they are not comissioned sales people teh pitch was almost non-existant.

Never, EVER, go to Wal-Mart if you have an unusual car. They don't know how to deal with anything that is not a Ford, Chevey, Dodge or Toyota. Long story short, they destroyed my brother in law's engine on an expensive foreign car. It was his own fault for being so dumb, though, and he's still convinced it was intentional. As his dad said, that's what you get for taking a thoroughbred to the mule pit.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    They forgot to put the little keep the oil in the car bolty thing back on.
    Creek, you can sling that technical jargon with the best of them right there.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

That's the one I go to. When they come to the window and start with the sales pitches, I just say "I only want an oil change" and that's that.

My mom went to Wal-Mart (the devil's work) once. They forgot to put the little keep the oil in the car bolty thing back on. Luckily she got home before all the oil drained out. She called WM and they told her to bring the car back in - without any oil. I got on the line and told them to come to her house with a bolty thing and several quarts of oil.

I took a car to Wal-Mart for an oil change once, and they told me it would be about 45 minutes.

I walked around the store for the 45 minutes and went back to the sr=ervice area. They hadn't done it. My oil plug - the little keep the oil in the car bolty thing - was slightly rounded off, and they weren't allowed to touch those. I told the guy "You know, out there in the tool section you have several pairs of vice grips. Anyone here know how to operate them?" He said it was policy. I asked him if it was also their policy to not call my name when they decided to not do the work. Idiots.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Creek, you can sling that technical jargon with the best of them right there.
    It's a gift. :
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I took a car to Wal-Mart for an oil change once, and they told me it would be about 45 minutes.

I walked around the store for the 45 minutes and went back to the sr=ervice area. They hadn't done it. My oil plug - the little keep the oil in the car bolty thing - was slightly rounded off, and they weren't allowed to touch those. I told the guy "You know, out there in the tool section you have several pairs of vice grips. Anyone here know how to operate them?" He said it was policy. I asked him if it was also their policy to not call my name when they decided to not do the work. Idiots.
    I had a similar experience in my one and only trip to the Walmart Tire and Lube "Express" (the word "express" is used very lightly, apparently). It has been so long, I don't even remember the specifics, but I recall having to hang out at Walmart for almost two hours when the use of a little common sense on their part could've saved me the time.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Best best is to change it yourself. Most of the quick lube places aren't staffed with the smartest people in the world.
    Now might be a good time for MWM to rehash what happened when he tried to save money and do an oil change himself.

Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Now might be a good time for MWM to rehash what happened when he tried to save money and do an oil change himself.

Let's not minimize your part in that sad story. You're the one who told him the oil goes in the cupholder.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Just got back from WalMarts the other day to have a tire replaced. They changed the wrong one. I asked the tech - didn't he realize that the tire he was replacing looked awfully new and question that? But if you seen this guy you'd realize why he didn't. They pulled it right back in a made it right.

And these people want better pay and healthcare.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

And these people want better pay and healthcare.
    I thought they only made one perfect person?

I had my oil changed yesterday at Pennzoil and it was done in 6 minutes.

They, of course, forgot to rotate my tires, which took an additional 10, but that oil change was the fastest I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-27-2006 at 10:49 AM.

It's a gift. :
    The thing is - at WalMarts, that's what their "quality certified" trained mechanics call it too!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?