Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Florida Marlins coming to Charlotte NC next week..

Reds and 26.2's

Florida Marlins coming to Charlotte NC next week..

according to local news, they are coming to look at plans for a planned uptown retractable roof stadium. But can we support a Major League team?

RandyinCharlotte, did you hear this?

I'd get all excited to have a team here, but that wouldn't make me stop making my annual drive to Cincy..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Florida Marlins coming to Charlotte NC next week..

Bring em' here baby! Charlotte can support a baseball team, NC is one of the fastest growing states in the US, and Charlotte is a viable market. This will enable me to drive 3 hours and see the Reds play more often. Go Reds!

Yeah, baby.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

You'll have to fight San Antonio, Las Vegas and Portland for 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    You'll have to fight San Antonio, Las Vegas and Portland for 'em.

No problem. San Antonio is too hot, Las Vegas has gambling, and Portland won't spend money on a stadium.

We win.

:
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I know there has been some talk of a new stadium for the Knights in the uptown area, but I haven't heard anything positive about bringing the Marlins to town. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Personally, I think Charlotte could probably support a franchise right now, but most of the folks "in the know" say differently. I'd love to see the Marlins franchise here.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

It all depends if Charlotte's City Council's up for re-election.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Portland won't spend money on a stadium.
    Neither will you guys
    Go Gators!

You were on top of it, Flying Pig. Article in the Charlotte Observer this morning. The plan, called the Brooklyn Renaissance Project, calls for a complete overhaul of Charlotte's 2nd ward adding dramatic retail space, 6000 homes (mostly condo's) and the centerpiece, a 38,000 seat stadium with a retractable roof. City board of commissioners called the plan "intriguing, amazing and exciting" Some in the city have said that the Charlotte area is at least 15-20 years from being able to support a major league franchise, and that a smaller minor league stadium makes more sense for right now. MLB consideration could be looked at further down the road. (Go figure, build 2 stadiums)

The minor league stadium being considered would never be able to handle a major league franchise. Personally, I think you strike while the opportunity is available, and depend on the huge growth of the area and the ability to draw from the entire region, but then again, Charlotte has never been known to have much foresight. I-485 was designed as a "two lane" outer connector for two major interstates (85 & 77) that was overcrowded before ever being completed.

Sounds like a long shot, but "youneverknow."
    Last edited by RANDY IN INDY; 01-19-2006 at 09:16 AM.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Turn Off Ads?