Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Mr. Lindner

Haunted by walks

Re: Thanks Mr. Lindner

Excellent sentiments, RFS62. It's not easy to fire an owner, but we should at least appreciate that we have the chance to move on. And that he didn't turn into a Carl Pohlad. And that he didn't give the stadium a dorky name. And the Reds were able to go from not hanging retired jerseys to having a world-class hall of fame.

Now the new owner has to get things done on the field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The opening post on this thread is worthy of an archive.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Why I'll go a step further, to most people Peter Bailey was the Building and Loan ...

Hey look, mister - we serve hard drinks in here for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don't need any characters around to give the joint "atmosphere". Is that clear, or do I have to slip you my left for a convincer?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Excellent opening post RFS62. I've glad Lindner has sold the team, but I wish him well.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I give a lot of credit for that. And no covers of SI like Marge's infamous "Red Menace". And respectability from a business point of view. And no more "what do we need scouts for... all they do is watch ballgames."
    Marge had to go, no doubt, I am too and glad that we ended up with a guy that at least made the off the field news respectable.

Still, no credit for not allowing your dog to poop on the playing surface.

He didn't know a damn thing about baseball.
    Ok, you have been fired as my eulogy writer.

He trusted Bowden over the protests of Allen on signing Junior. He made plenty of mistakes, like the Larkin extension and going for DanO over Krivsky. But he also pumped his own money into the franchise with the ticket vouchers.
    Maybe I missed something, but how are ticket vouchers pumping his own money into the franchise? Did he actually purchase the tickets out of pocket, or did he just print 'em up and hand 'em out?

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice gesture and a good idea, IMO.

He'll be an astrisk in the big picture of Reds owners. A transitional owner. A stepping stone from rubbing dog hair on the players to what I hope will be the restoration of a proud franchise under Castellini.
    He'll quickly be forgotten as the Reds owner, and frankly, thats about the best he could hope for at this juncture.

I am a nervous wreck. The next decade or more of Reds baseball comes into power today and I have no idea where we are headed.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 01-20-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Sorry, but I don't see Lindner as "rescuing" the franchise.

He got a financial windfall in the form of GAB in 2003. That and that alone helped get the Reds out of their financial mess.

Now the national media doesn't make fun of the Reds for having an owner who makes racist comments and lets her dog run around on the field. Instead, they make fun of the Reds for their horrendous lack of pitching and five straight seasons of losing baseball. Is that somehow better?

Don't get me wrong, I applaud all the charity work Lindner has done for the city of Cincinnati. But as a baseball owner, he was pretty lousy.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Sorry, but I don't see Lindner as "rescuing" the franchise.

He got a financial windfall in the form of GAB in 2003. That and that alone helped get the Reds out of their financial mess.

Now the national media doesn't make fun of the Reds for having an owner who makes racist comments and lets her dog run around on the field. Instead, they make fun of the Reds for their horrendous lack of pitching and five straight seasons of losing baseball. Is that somehow better?

Don't get me wrong, I applaud all the charity work Lindner has done for the city of Cincinnati. But as a baseball owner, he was pretty lousy.
    That's what I was going to write...practically verbatim.

Certainly there's more to Mr. Lindner than any of us know. i.e. charity work, city projects, etc. I also believe there's more to his Reds ownership than meets the eye. i.e. making sure the stadium was built on the river to protect his interests, getting out (as predicted) as soon as he made money off the new stadium. If you were to study his purchase of the Reds, I think you would find that it was almost purely stadium/real estate driven.

Yes, Marge was embarrassing...at times, unbearably so. Is it better to be ignored than embarrassed?
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Carl, I hope you enjoy your large profit at taxpayer expense.
    Thanks for letting the farm system sink to new lows. Thanks for letting the idiot John Allen ruin the franchise. Thanks for all the lies. Thanks for all the morons you hired into this organization.

Carl, your legacy will be as one of the most incompetent, tight-fisted owners of all time (Sorry, but signing Milton and Jr does not salvage your reputation).

We'll all get the last laugh when you realize you can't take all that cash with you when this life is over.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Carl, your legacy will be as one of the most incompetent, tight-fisted owners of all time
    In the big history of the game Lindner will never even touch the unsavory, money grubbing monsters that have owned baseball teams over the past 130 years.

Cripes he's not even the worst Reds owner of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    In the big history of the game Lindner will never even touch the unsavory, money grubbing monsters that have owned baseball teams over the past 130 years.

Good point. I'll remember Carl as a guy who bought low and sold high. The Reds won't be mentioned much either way when it comes to his personal legacy.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'll never forget when he ordered Kullman/Maddox to deal some of our players for cash at the 2003 trading deadline.

Granted, they were able to pry some decent talent from teams with some of those trades and that's more of a reflection on Kullman/Maddox doing an outstanding job, but the fact that Lindner cared about a cash return instead of actual prospects still burns me up (the two Yankee deals were split up because MLB objected to the amount of total cash in the original deal). Then I remember watching Baseball Tonight and seeing Ravech, Gammons, etc. empty out their wallets on the desk and discussing which players they thought they could buy with the cash they had.

It was just flat out embarrassing.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    It was just flat out embarrassing.
    That's the entire Lindner era in six words. Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Preach on, brotherman.

Heck, there are several franchises in the Reds' current division that have had anemic, pathetic stretches of history that dwarf the underwhelming results of our favorite team during the rather short Lindner era.

(And think, one of those incompetent boobs was rewarded by being promoted all the way to the top & being put in charge of the entire game...)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    incompetent boobs
    And when you think about it, boobs have a pretty easy job. Competency should be assumed.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Carl staked his claim to the Bowden plan which appeared to be a good thing when he came into as Operations Chief. I don't doubt Carl knew he wouldn't be long for the Reds, so his fortunes were tied with Bowdens. But Bowden's failings which "smart" fans probably already saw, doomed him and Bowden along with the Limiteds tightened attitude monetarily after the Marge era.

Hence the Reds didn't restore themselves on the field like Carl probably hoped by 2003. Problems were all over the place, which he wasn't willing to fix IMO in his short time, but leave up to the next guy. That ends with the O'brien era which will be nothing more than a footnote.

Turn Off Ads?