Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thanks Mr. Lindner

Re: Thanks Mr. Lindner

Quote Originally Posted by 37red
    OK, I've read all the same angles over and over LET'S try a new angle. WHO does everyone think was the best owner the REDS. How do they compare?
    <pontificate>

I'd have to say Crosley, he pulled the team fully into the 20th century and because of "name" in the industry business increased the Reds hold on the region.

The same region Howsam recognized and polished up as the marketing departments crown jewel and the same region Marge ignored and thus has shrunk ever since.

</pontificate>

2. Turn Off Ads?

WOY, could you possibly insert a table or two among your pontification?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Marge also was not a baseball person and didn't know squat about the game (except that the ball was round). Yes, she won a WS in '90. Even a stray dog finds a bone every once in awhile. She then, proceeded to run this organization from every angle, business,financial viability, farm system, etc., right into the ground, while being a HUGE embarassment to the team and this city.

At least Lindner did bring back some fiscal sanity to this organization, and was instrumental in rebuilding the "physical" house on the outside with new facilities in GAB and also Louisville and Dayton. Whether one wants to acknowledge it or not, that is a start. But again, he, nor his FO staff didn't have the baseball knowledge and know-how to acuire the inner parts that make it a success. That is where they failed.

There is no reason why this organization cannot be consistently a winning, or at least a competitive organization, when I see similar franchises doing the same, such as Oakland, Cleveland, Minnesota, and Florida. It's not simply about spending more and more money. It's having smart people in that FO who can spend it wisely, evaluate talent, and build from there.

With Lindner, Allen, and Dano in place, and IMO, we could have had a 90 Mil payroll and still been losers. Amd some would have been saying "You need to open your pockets and spend more!"
    I am not sure Lindner "failed" as much as he didn't care. He built the physical house, but left the Marge ruins to linger inside. Fact is, Carl needed to actually make moves to clean up the interior and he simply didn't want to do it and has now left it up to someone else, why the Reds spun in the wind for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Yeah, but in the long run, and when you look at what happened to those players (as well as what they were trying to get money-wise), show me where we screwed up in any of that "fire sale"?

The fire sale didn't bother me one bit. It was who they went out and got to replace those players (especially in the BP). Now that sucked!
    No, the firesale didn't bother me at all.

It was the fact that some of the players moved in the firesale were "sold" for cash instead of moved for actual players. Lindner gave us that constant silly line that he "just wants to break even," then goes out and sells players for cash while the franchise is rapidly appreciating in value.

The Guillen trade for Harang was an excellent example of some of the talent we could land if all the players were simply dealt for prospects/young talent instead of cash. If Williamson was dealt for prospects only then I'm sure we could have gotten someone much better than Dumatrait. Instead, Lindner wanted cash and the player we have to settle for is ... Phil Dumatrait.

All that extra cash did was allow Dan O'Brien an opportunity sign Eric Milton.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 01-23-2006 at 01:14 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Turn Off Ads?