Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

Plasma screen?

I'm in the market for one, and was wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences they could share, or some things to think about when browsing. Thanks all.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Plasma screen?

LCD baby...LCD

KY, I was in the same boat but decided to go with a DLP front projector for my home theater. I was planning on posting pics of my setup here shortly (and would love to see other member's media setups too).

I mounted the projector to the ceiling about 15' back from the wall. The projected image is 92" diagonal in 16:9 widescreen.

I have a 61" RPTV in the living room and couldn't go smaller than that.

Let me know what you come up with if you do decide on plasma, though.

My father-in-law is an extremly careful consumer who researches every product before he buys. He looked into getting a plasma TV but passed on it because they can't be repaired. According to him, the whole TV is one integrated chunk of electronics. If something breaks, you have to replace the whole thing. He ended up buying a big-screen DLP for slightly less money than the plasma, and it's excellent.

Personally, I think if you put plasma, DLP, and LCD side-by-side, the plasma has a *slightly* better picture than the DLP, but both are extremely sharp and quite a bit better than the LCD.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

No matter what plasma screen you buy, next year's equivalent model will be 20% cheaper. Can you live with that?
    /r/reds

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I have heard large LCD has a more blurred display when action gets high speed. DLP is the best picture from what I have heard.

According to some electronics experts, Plasma TVs are going to be nearly obsolete within 3-5 years for several reasons:

Limited number of viewing hours per screen
    Inability to maintain them once picture begins to degrade
    Excessive weight relative to their size
    Energy hogs

When LCD screens are able to be made in larger sizes, their prices will begin to drop (LCD prices are currently dictated by one or two glass suppliers as I understand). At that point, you won't hear much more about Plasmas.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I have heard large LCD has a more blurred display when action gets high speed. DLP is the best picture from what I have heard.
    I have heard this too from certain specific brands.

I have a 42 inch LCD and I like it- the hi def is great, but sometimes some of the standard pictures are a bit blurred, but with my set-up, I am actually a little too close to the screen. For instance, Fox Sports Cincinnati is ok, but Comcast out of Chicago (Cubs and White Sox) is sometimes blurrred. Not constantly, but with certain camera shots- one camera will be a bit blurred, but then when the broadcast is switched to a different camera, it is clear. I don't understand too much about the technology, so I hope I made myself clear. My video hook-ups are made with component cables. I have the hook-ups for HDMI (I think that it what it is called) but the cable for HDMI is really expensive and after researching them on the internet I came to the conclusion that they really were not benficial enough to be worthy of the high cost unless the TV was very high-end (as in over $10.000.00).

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I have a 42 inch LCD and I like it- the hi def is great, but sometimes some of the standard pictures are a bit blurred, but with my set-up, I am actually a little too close to the screen. For instance, Fox Sports Cincinnati is ok, but Comcast out of Chicago (Cubs and White Sox) is sometimes blurrred. Not constantly, but with certain camera shots- one camera will be a bit blurred, but then when the broadcast is switched to a different camera, it is clear. I don't understand too much about the technology, so I hope I made myself clear. My video hook-ups are made with component cables. I have the hook-ups for HDMI (I think that it what it is called) but the cable for HDMI is really expensive and after researching them on the internet I came to the conclusion that they really were not benficial enough to be worthy of the high cost unless the TV was very high-end (as in over $10.000.00).
    42" is nearly the maximum size available in LCD, no? Do you mind saying which brand?

I haven't noticed any blurring with high speeds on my LCD. I'll have to keep an eye out. I did watch most of The Matrix last night and am gonna finish it up today, and I didn't notice any blurring, and some of that action is faster than Kevin Mitchell at a buffet line.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    42" is nearly the maximum size available in LCD, no? Do you mind saying which brand?
    Sony Wega KDF42WE655

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I haven't noticed any blurring with high speeds on my LCD. I'll have to keep an eye out. I did watch most of The Matrix last night and am gonna finish it up today, and I didn't notice any blurring, and some of that action is faster than Kevin Mitchell at a buffet line.
    Sssshh! Kevin can hear you...

Is that Dante Bichette?

I've got a 60 inch Hitachi LCD and Bose surround sound in my setup. We couldn't be happier with the performance.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?