Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

Re: Plasma screen?

That sounds slick, RFS. You and 91 need to post some pics.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    Is that Dante Bichette?
    Oops, my mistake. By the way--those aren't sweatbands on his wrists. They had to cut his shirt off on laundry day.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Ebay has a number of DLP's listed. as low as $100.

I'm buying one i think.
    Raisel Ghul, the Demon's Head

Not Laughing

I have a 52" LCD and I love it, especially with the HD hookup. I truley believe plasma is nothing more than a gimmick that won't be able to stand the test.

On a related note, does anybody else have a JBL 7-piece theatre? I have had it roughly a year now and I don't think I care much for the performance. Maybe it's my reciever, but I wanted to see somebody else's performance.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

One hundred bucks for a DLP? Size? Rear projecton TV or a Front projector? Insane.

I still have my 50" Mitsubishi wide screen that I bought back in 1999, before all of the HDTV, etc, etc, stuff became "all the rage". I have a Sony receiver, that is also older (1997) and I bought a Harmon Kardan surround sound package (5 speakers, and a sub). I love my speakers, they are awesome.

We're moving at the end of July and I'm (hopefully) going to upgrade my TV and receiver, so this thread is of high interest to me. Thank you everyone for your input so far. I love hearing about home theatre setups. Hope everyone posts what setup they have now and what they like/dislike about it, and what they've heard as far as future enhancements, etc.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

We have plasma monitors and a plasma TV here at work. Nothing I have ever seen compares to the quality of the display.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    We have plasma monitors and a plasma TV here at work. Nothing I have ever seen compares to the quality of the display.

Creek's monitor is a thing of beauty. Second only to her Adam shrine
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thanks for all the replies. DLP would be my first choice, but because of the my place in chicago, I just don't think it would fit. I'm going back and forth between the affordability and actually decent reviews of the Dell 42 inch and the popular panasonic 42's.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

If you haven't been, go over to the AV Science Forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

I'm heading to the stores tomorrow, gonna have to see if the DLP's would fit. I really want to go that route, but in this one, size does matter.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Well, here's my current setup pretty much complete. I need to replace the carpet, but we finished the walls (paint) and screen a few days ago. The DLP is mounted above the drop ceiling - as you can see in the third picture - oh, and I also need to route a few cables a bit better. Overall, I'm pleased with ~94" diagonal.

Home Theater 1
    Home Theater 2
    Home Theater 3

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

TV shopping

My wife and I are in the market for a new tv. The one we have is still working just fine, but it's just a 27" one that I've had for going on 10 years and we've been thinking of upgrading to a new widescreen one. Actually, all she cares about is that the tv is flat and doesn't take up as much space as the CRT ones, while I'm the one who is insisting on the wide screen format. I'm the movie junkie in the family and I buy all my DVDs in widescreen format and would love a widescreen tv to watch them on. I'd be happy with another CRT if it was a widescreen, but she really wants one "that doesn't stick out in the back."

So there's the dilemna. I am used to keeping a tv for years, basically using them until they finally give out, which takes a while for the CRT ones. We've been in so many stores comparing prices on all of the various new ones out there now and we're still no closer to a decision. LCD or Plasma? Wall mounted or not? It seems that there are a lot of choices to make, but my main concern is how long the darn thing is going to last if I spend that much money on it. I have a flat panel LCD monitor for my computer and it has lasted me six years so far. Can I count on one of those new TVs lasting at least that long, or hopefully longer? I have heard stories about how they don't last as long and that you basically have to replace them when they give out because they're too expensive to repair.

So I need some advice from a tech geek. I just want something that has a wide screen and I think I will need to go with one of the new LCD or Plasma ones to satisfy my wife's space saving kick she's been on lately. (watching too much HGTV.) I also want something that I won't be having to replace in a couple years. Any suggestions?

Re: TV shopping

If you are looking for longevity, steer clear of plasma.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Re: TV shopping

Projector! No huge device and is about as flat screen as you can be.

Turn Off Ads?