Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

Re: TV shopping

I got a great deal on a 36' box TV for $225 at Best Buy! I have a remote too!

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You might want to consider a "digital ready" or HDTV set.

link

All TV digital by end of 2008
    By Jeremy Pelofsky
    Thu Oct 27, 8:33 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The House Energy and Commerce Committee on Wednesday approved a measure ordering the switch to higher-quality digital broadcasts be finished by the end of 2008, setting up a clash with the Senate.

The House panel approved 33-17 a bill that would require television stations to end their analog broadcasts on December 31, 2008 so some of those airwaves can be used by emergency responders and the rest can be sold for wireless services.

The Republican-backed measure offers up to $990 million to subsidize converter boxes that would switch digital broadcasts back into analog so existing television sets would continue to work.

Democrats argued that the money, which includes $160 million for administrative expenses, was insufficient to provide converters for tens of millions of broadcast-only television sets.

"We can be responsible ... or we can throw caution to the wind and basically have the U.S. Treasury spend over $10 (billion) to $12 billion if everybody took advantage of the program," said Rep. Joe Barton (news, bio, voting record), chairman of the committee and a Texas Republican.

The committee defeated two amendments to expand the subsidy plan, including one that would have given every household two vouchers for converter boxes, each worth up to $60.

Lawmakers also defeated an attempt by Rep. Steve Buyer (news, bio, voting record), an Indiana Republican, to strip all the money out for a subsidy program.

Pay television services are expected to offer customers either digital signals or an analog conversion of the digital broadcast.

The Senate Commerce Committee has approved a measure to set April 7, 2009, as the digital transition deadline and includes up to $3 billion to subsidize the converter boxes.

Any differences between the House and Senate bills would have to be resolved during a conference of lawmakers from both chambers.

JUST WAIT TILL TV SETS "GO BLACK"

Sen. John Ensign (news, bio, voting record), a Nevada Republican, said he would try to cut the $3 billion subsidy on the Senate floor while Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives warned that Congress would likely face the consequences if televisions go dark in 2009.

"When 70 million television sets go black on December 31, 2008, three years from now, I can tell you people are going to have very strong opinions about it," said Rep. Edward Markey (news, bio, voting record), a Massachusetts Democrat.

Some of the vacated analog airwaves would be used for emergency first responder communications and the rest would be sold for commercial wireless services, a sale that could bring in $10 billion or more according to some estimates.

The House panel approved $500 million to help emergency first responders better communicate with each other and across jurisdictions. Lawmakers narrowly defeated an attempt by Democrats to increase the amount to $5.8 billion.

The Senate approved $1 billion for emergency communications.

There are about 21 million homes in the United States that rely solely on broadcast television, while most households subscribe to cable or satellite services.

Many homes have multiple television sets. The National Association of Broadcasters has estimated there are about 73 million television sets that may need converter boxes.

Current law requires stations to switch to only digital broadcasts when 85 percent of the country can receive the new signals, or by December 31, 2006, whichever comes later. Experts have said that could take a decade, prompting lawmakers to seek a more certain date.

Sony Wega. Whether you buy LCD or Plasma, Sony's Wega system is second to none. People see the Sony brand and think it is a lot more expensive, but from what I've seen, the price difference among the "top-shelf" brands are negligible.

A bit on Sony WEGA:
    Sony's WEGA Engine™ system is an intelligent picture enhancement system that generates a fully-digital flat panel TV picture with stunning sharpness and realism.

Traditional fixed pixel LCD and Plasma televisions create images by "scaling" the input signal to the specific number of pixels in the display. This involves several analog to digital conversions during each signal-processing phase. With each conversion, the signal quality is degraded.

The WEGA Engine™ system processes the picture digitally from start to finish, generating fully refined, ultra-realistic screen images from any source. Television broadcasts (both HD and standard), DVDs, VHS recordings, and Camcorder movies come to life with amazing clarity.

Sony Plasma and LCD televisions with the WEGA Engine™ system also use Direct Digital Circuitry, the DRC™ Multi-Function system and MID™ X circuitry for sharper and more superior pictures.
    I own a Sony Widescreen 60" television and there is absolutely no better way to watch a DVD. If you're going to get a widescreen television, whatever service you use, cable or satellite, GET HDTV!! There's no better way to watch sporting events, and for a sports fan like you ORH, you won't want to watch a sports game any other way after seeing it showcased in HD (maybe you already have?). Plus, Discovery Theater HD (Discovery Channel in HD) is worth the extra cost of HD (for my service around 15 bucks per mo.) by itself!

Oh yeah, and get yourself some surround sound!

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...s&Dept=tvvideo

The sound quality when watching DVDs with Digital Audio (supported by all new surround systems) is UNBELIEVABLE. Complete surround sound systems start at $200.00. Also, you can hook your satellite/cable up to the surround sound system as well, which is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    You might want to consider a "digital ready" or HDTV set.

link
    The potential windfall from spectrum leases is much bigger than the $3 billion it will cost to free up the analog TV channels. Personally, I think the $3 billion subsidy will stay in the bill and we will be able to line up and receive the DTV tuners to retrofit our analog TVs by the Feds. Since the price difference between good analog and digital TVs is much more than $50, it'd be worth waiting to see if this bill passes.

A few months ago I bought a 42" widescreen Sony TV. The model number I got was KDF-42WE655. It is an LCD HDTV. The HDTV picture is spectacular. Like Wilymo said there is no better way to watch sporting events than HDTV. Also this has an HDMI connection that I have my DVD player hooked up with and the movies look great on this TV. I got my tv on sale at HH Gregg for about $1799. As far as how long LCDs last after about 8,000 hours of use there is a lightblub inside that needs to be replaced. That usually costs a few hundred each time the bulb needs replaced unless you have a service agreement where they replace it for you. But outside the bulb needing replaced the LCD should last for a lot of years. They have more longevity than Plasma's though Plasmas are getting better than they were a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    A few months ago I bought a 42" widescreen Sony TV. The model number I got was KDF-42WE655. It is an LCD HDTV. The HDTV picture is spectacular. Like Wilymo said there is no better way to watch sporting events than HDTV. Also this has an HDMI connection that I have my DVD player hooked up with and the movies look great on this TV. I got my tv on sale at HH Gregg for about $1799. As far as how long LCDs last after about 8,000 hours of use there is a lightblub inside that needs to be replaced. That usually costs a few hundred each time the bulb needs replaced unless you have a service agreement where they replace it for you. But outside the bulb needing replaced the LCD should last for a lot of years. They have more longevity than Plasma's though Plasmas are getting better than they were a few years ago.
    That's my TV, too , and I love it. Any bigger and it would be too big for me. My 4 year service agreement covers the bulb. I paid more for minr, though:thumbdown before the price dropped on this model a few months ago. I am an impulse buyer. I skipped the HDMI. The "expert info" I got was you had to be an expert with an extreme high end set to really see the benefit of those expensive cables, so I got the Monster component cables. I might try the HDMI though, as I heard they are cheaper now.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

919191; I was able to buy the MOST high-end HDMI cables that monster makes for a little bit over a hundred dollars on ebay. They retail new for $249.00!!

Do you have HD? That's the only reason you'd want to upgrade to HDMI over component, IMO. Or are you talking about DVD? For DVD, I feel that component is just as good b/c DVD isn't capable of producing a high-def picture anyway (true digital high-definition) which is the only difference between component and HDMI.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Now when the new high-definition DVD players come out, however, that will be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    The potential windfall from spectrum leases is much bigger than the $3 billion it will cost to free up the analog TV channels. Personally, I think the $3 billion subsidy will stay in the bill and we will be able to line up and receive the DTV tuners to retrofit our analog TVs by the Feds. Since the price difference between good analog and digital TVs is much more than $50, it'd be worth waiting to see if this bill passes.
    It seems reasonable for the gov to provide converter boxes, since they will have a net profit off it, and it is also an efficent use of bandwidth.
    You've got to figure most people aren't going to go through the process of actually redeeming the vouchers for converter boxes.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wesgate24

LCD will last longer than Plasma screen TVs. But Plasme has a slightly sharper image.

Wes

Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

I've asked this on a DBS message board, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for...or could understand. Sopme of those techno dudes are a bit cocky- I thing they spend more time in back of their TV than in front.

I have a question about over the air HD.
    I have a Sony KDF-42WE655 television. It is HD ready- no integrated HD tuner. At least I am under the impression there isn't. The salesman at Circuit City told me it didn't- and I really didn't want an integrated tuner. I am in Terre Haute, In. 47804. No local station here broadcasts anything in HD. Unless I am either wrong, or they recently started. When I had my Tv search for channels, (for over the air broadcasts) it found 2 for the local CBS affiliate- channel 10 (the regular one) and 10.1. Some things look awful and all stretched out on 10.1. The other day I had it on 10.1 for an NFL game, and it looked great. It was in widescreen too. Would this just be a digital standard broadcast whereas 10 is analog? Or could I be wrong and maybe my TV has a HD tuner? Even though it looked great, it wasn't HD as far as I was concerned. It was in 16:9- full widescreen- no stretching at all. My antenna is just an inexpensive one I got for locals at a home improvement store. It isn't for HD as far as I know. They say there are no true HD antennae- but I only live 2 miles from the tower.

If it is in true widescreen is it HD?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Re: Hi Def TV question

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I've asked this on a DBS message board, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for...or could understand. Sopme of those techno dudes are a bit cocky- I thing they spend more time in back of their TV than in front.

I have a question about over the air HD.
    I have a Sony KDF-42WE655 television. It is HD ready- no integrated HD tuner. At least I am under the impression there isn't. The salesman at Circuit City told me it didn't- and I really didn't want an integrated tuner. I am in Terre Haute, In. 47804. No local station here broadcasts anything in HD. Unless I am either wrong, or they recently started. When I had my Tv search for channels, (for over the air broadcasts) it found 2 for the local CBS affiliate- channel 10 (the regular one) and 10.1. Some things look awful and all stretched out on 10.1. The other day I had it on 10.1 for an NFL game, and it looked great. It was in widescreen too. Would this just be a digital standard broadcast whereas 10 is analog? Or could I be wrong and maybe my TV has a HD tuner? Even though it looked great, it wasn't HD as far as I was concerned. It was in 16:9- full widescreen- no stretching at all. My antenna is just an inexpensive one I got for locals at a home improvement store. It isn't for HD as far as I know. They say there are no true HD antennae- but I only live 2 miles from the tower.

If it is in true widescreen is it HD?
    I have an HD monitor and have no integrated HD tuner. I purchased the widescreen as such because I have Dish Network- including an HD receiver so the integrated HD tuner was redundant.

If you have a real HD signal with an HD tuner, you should be able to clearly see the whiskers on a bug. Without the tuner, your picture won't necessarily be crud. It appears that you've got program input that allows for shows to be broadcast in widescreen mode. They'll look better than in regular mode because the widescreen pic is actually smaller pixel-wise.

In short, I don't think you've got HD. If you had actual HD input, you'd be devastated as to how clear the picture is.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I have an HD monitor and have no integrated HD tuner. I purchased the widescreen as such because I have Dish Network- including an HD receiver so the integrated HD tuner was redundant.

If you have a real HD signal with an HD tuner, you should be able to clearly see the whiskers on a bug. Without the tuner, your picture won't necessarily be crud. It appears that you've got program input that allows for shows to be broadcast in widescreen mode. They'll look better than in regular mode because the widescreen pic is actually smaller pixel-wise.

In short, I don't think you've got HD. If you had actual HD input, you'd be devastated as to how clear the picture is.

In the NFL game I was watching, I coild see the individual pieces od sod laid on the field. You know the rectangular pieces laid out. And since originally starting this thread, I looked at my specs on line and it has an ATSC Integrated Tuner. Isn't that a HD tuner?
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    In the NFL game I was watching, I coild see the individual pieces od sod laid on the field. You know the rectangular pieces laid out. And since originally starting this thread, I looked at my specs on line and it has an ATSC Integrated Tuner. Isn't that a HD tuner?
    Well, there ya' go.

An ATSC Integrated Tuner will allow you to pick up free over-the-air HD broadcasts from local channels (if they broadcast in HD) using an antenna, but it's not going to allow you to receive anything that isn't broadcast in HD locally.

Sounds like you live near enough the local stations that you're able to receive their HD feeds. That's cool, but with the ATSC those will be the only HD signals you'll be able to view in HD on that TV.

Still, that's better than having no HD capability whatsoever. Unfortunately, where I live, I couldn't get local channel reception without getting a Dish Network or DirecTV package as their ain't an antenna in the world that could help. That being said, the HD packages I get from my satellite provider are simply ridiculous as to picture quality.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?