Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

Re: Hi Def TV question

I have that same TV the Sony KDF-42WE655 and it does have an integrated HD tuner. That 10.1 channel is a Hi def channel. So the football game would have been in Hi def. You are able to pick up some local HD channels off your antenna. I get my hi def channels from Time Warner I have one of their HDTV DVR's and the picture quality on the HD channels is amazing. Also the reason some pictures may appear strechted out is the settings you have set on your TV. I am not at home now so I can't tell you all the settings. I have mine set to normal where HD signals show in full widescreen and non HD signals have bars on the sides. That way all programs appear normal. If you have it set to zoom or wide zoom or another one I don't remember now the TV will take a non HD program and stretch it to fill the whole screen which I think looks horrible. So even on 10.1 not all programs are in HD and on a non HD program may be streching because of the settings on the TV. If you have any questions about settings on that TV let me know I can look up some information since I have the same TV.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks, RF. I was just surprised it had an HD tuner, since the guy who sold it to me said it didn't. When I have it on standard channel 10, nothing is stretched- it is full screen with the black bars on the side. It is just local stuff and commercials that stretch on 10.1. It goes back and forth- I guess switching between HD and the stuff that wasn't shot in HD.

I got this TV Christmas eve 2004. By last spring, the price had dropped about 600 dollars!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I've asked this on a DBS message board, but didn't really get the answer I was looking for...or could understand. Sopme of those techno dudes are a bit cocky- I thing they spend more time in back of their TV than in front.

I have a question about over the air HD.
    I have a Sony KDF-42WE655 television. It is HD ready- no integrated HD tuner. At least I am under the impression there isn't. The salesman at Circuit City told me it didn't- and I really didn't want an integrated tuner. I am in Terre Haute, In. 47804. No local station here broadcasts anything in HD. Unless I am either wrong, or they recently started.
    I'd like to give you two great sources of information for your local HD situation.

http://antennaweb.org is an industry site which will, if you enter your street address, will give you information about what kind of antenna you need to receive HD broadcasts over the air, where to point it and how far you are from the transmitters. I entered 47804 there and found 3 stations supposedly broadcasting HD. WFXW and WTWO are the other two. FWIW, their estimates tend to be conservative. The site tells me I need an outdoor antenna, but I can receive all of the HD broadcasts in my county with a cheap set-top antenna. It's still useful information.

You can also go to the AVS Forum and post in this thread, which discusses HD broadcasting specific to the Indy/Lafayette/Terre Haute markets. I know the equivalent thread for my market is very friendly and is frequented by engineers for the TV stations. You should be able to find other folks in that thread who are trying to receive your stations, too.

Good luck with your search for info.

UA, I was just about to post the same info. AVSForum is the way to go for HD info.

More info on your TV: http://www.kdf-42we655.com/

Nice pick up!

Thanks for the links. I frequent a couple DBS boards, but I haven't seen that one, U. Thanks!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Re: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

I have merged this thread with two other TV threads from the past few months. All three contain some really good insights for those of us who are still trying to sort through all of this new TV technology. Some posts may now be redundant, but I think it's worth it to gather all of this into one thread.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Anyone have any experience with the new Direct TV mpeg4 HD offerings. From the musings on avsforum, it's been kinda buggy. I actually went with a samsung plasma, wall mounted it, and haven't looked back. Get great OTA feeds here in Chicago for the majority of the sports I care about. Just waiting for DTV to offer a MPEG 4 DVR, and ESPN HD will be mine!
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Anyone have any experience with the new Direct TV mpeg4 HD offerings. From the musings on avsforum, it's been kinda buggy. I actually went with a samsung plasma, wall mounted it, and haven't looked back. Get great OTA feeds here in Chicago for the majority of the sports I care about. Just waiting for DTV to offer a MPEG 4 DVR, and ESPN HD will be mine!

Do you mean Dish Network? They are coming out with MPEG 4 technology, but the people mannig their phones in India don't really know too much about it. I've been on the phone several times, and I always get a different date of it's rollout, or I'm told there is no guarentee I can get the 211, the new 4 MPEG box. I wantn to swap mine , an 811, for it for free, like CEO Charlie said, but it has been a headache. Read some of thesse threads to see the problems.

http://www.highdefforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19
    Last edited by 919191; 01-21-2006 at 12:33 AM.
    -Todd Snider

DirecTV is also rolling out mpeg4, but right now it's just being used for HD local channels, as time goes on they plan to migrate everything to mpeg4 and offer more HD channels, but in the meantime they will raise prices again in March
    Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    Just waiting for DTV to offer a MPEG 4 DVR, and ESPN HD will be mine!
    Mid 06 from what I've heard.
    Go Gators!

I have a HD Directv DVR based on the Tivo software. It's excellent. I hear the next generation Direct DVR's for mpeg4 will not involve Tivo software but Directv's own in-house software. And I hear it's not as good as Tivo.

Yeah, direct tv is done with Tivo.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

And the new DVR R-15 is (to put is nicely) a piece of junk.

Ever read Dish DVR horror stories? yeah..same thing.
    Go Gators!

I have the Time Warner cable supplied HD DVR hooked up to a 62" TV. The picture is so good it's kind creepy.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I have the Time Warner cable supplied HD DVR hooked up to a 62" TV. The picture is so good it's kind creepy.

Yep, I've got two of those, one on a 60" Hitachi and one on a 40" Sony in my office.

It's the only way to fly.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?