Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

Re: Hi Def TV question (Merged with other TV threads)

CES had the previews for the new HD DVR. The nuts and bolts looks good as far as inputs and aesthetics, but we'll see how the pic quality and interface go. I'm hopeful but wary as DirecTv seems to be crapping on the customer service lately.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan
    I'm hopeful but wary as DirecTv seems to be crapping on the customer service lately.
    I had high hopes when Rupert Murdoch took over that he would do the best things to try and crush dish, instead he seems to be doing everything he can do turn DirecTV into a cable clone.

Price increases yearly, no new channels, sub standard equipment, customer service that stinks like poo.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I had high hopes when Rupert Murdoch took over that he would do the best things to try and crush dish, instead he seems to be doing everything he can do turn DirecTV into a cable clone.

Price increases yearly, no new channels, sub standard equipment, customer service that stinks like poo.
    Oh, the latest is Directv is going to a leased system where you rent the equipment like Cable tv does and once you cancel you send it in or a tech comes by and picks it up. You can still own your own equipment, but Directv will not subsidized it anymore.

How close are the prices for 42"-60" LCDs to stabilizing? Have they still got lots of room to come down? How much will today's $2500 Sony Wega 50" and the $1700 42" Sony Wega cost one year from now? We're thinking hard about buying, but I'm willing to wait if the prices are expected to drop enough.

Can anyone make a guess?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Lady at HHG Gregg told me last night that the life expectancy for a plasma is only 6600 hours. Anyone else here the same thing? If I'm dropping $1500-2000 for a TV, it darn well better last more than 3 years.

And what's up with $250 for a LCD bulb? Replacement required every other year according to the saleslady. Learning that those were required kinda soured me on the whole HD thing...again, if I'm spending that kind of cash, I expect a little more longevity. I'm thinking I'll just make due with my 27" Sharp I bought in 97 which still works just fine.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Check for a service agreement. It might cover the bulb on a LCD. I don't really do service aggrements, but I did on my LCD just because of this. This is why I complain about my wife and kids having the TV on all the time even when noone is watching it.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I also got a service agreement on my LCD and it covers the replacement bulbs. The bulbs are supposed to last about 8,000 hours before they need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I also got a service agreement on my LCD and it covers the replacement bulbs. The bulbs are supposed to last about 8,000 hours before they need to be replaced.

And I would guess they will drop in price as most all electronics do over time.

I've had my LCD for 14 months, and they said the bulb retailedat aboout $400.00. I reas somewhere recently that the current price was half that now. I feel it is worth it for this TV. Hi Def is awesome!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?