Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Mr. Lindner

Thanks Mr. Lindner

Today the ownership of the Reds changed hands.

Thanks, Mr. Lindner. I know you've been under near constant attack since you took the reins from Marge. Thanks for your stewardship.

Thanks for recognizing that this was not your game. Thanks for getting out. That's not a slam, it's a compliment. A good man knows his limitations.

I appreciate that you gave us respectability after years of embarrassment under Marge's ownership. I appreciate not having to cringe every time I meet someone who laughs about Shotzie taking a dump on the infield.

I appreciate that you did the best you could, and I truly believe that you did. And I appreciate that you understand that this isn't your strength, and that you're turning it over to a new man.

It doesn't bother me that you made money and tax breaks. That's ok. This is America, you weren't supposed to take a loss.

I'm glad you aren't holding on and passing ownership down to your relatives. I think you believe that you've found the right man for the job.

Thank you, Mr. Lindner. You realized that you were a steward, a transitional owner. You got rid of Marge and Bowden, and I appreciate that. You hired DanO. Now it's time for you to go, as I'm sure you know how well that's worked out.

I wish you nothing but happiness for the rest of your life, and I hope it's a long one. You do a lot of good through your various causes, and you should be admired.

Thanks for saving the franchise from ongoing humiliation, and thanks for realizing you are simply not a baseball man and getting out.

In a few years, history will forget the five years of historically bad baseball and remember you for all your fine public works.

That's really how it should be.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Thanks Mr. Lindner

Nicely said, '62.

Well said.

Being a younger fan, I really only know Mr. Lindner from his ownership of the team. I really hope his tenure as owner of the Reds will not tarnish his overall legacy in Cincinnati, especially with younger fans like me. He's a great man that gives willingly to many causes. I think he wanted to win just as badly as the rest of us but things didn't work out and he's a smart enough man to realize it so he moved on.

Good post RFS.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Good post, good perspective.

Rem

Agreed.
    Go Gators!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Thanks for recognizing that this was not your game. Thanks for getting out. That's not a slam, it's a compliment. A good man knows his limitations.
    I don't get that same vibe out of all this.

I appreciate that you gave us respectability after years of embarrassment under Marge's ownership. I appreciate not having to cringe every time I meet someone who laughs about Shotzie taking a dump on the infield.
    I don't see alot of respect for the Reds at this point, what I see is apathy. I don't give credit to people for not having a dog poop on the field.

I appreciate that you did the best you could, and I truly believe that you did. And I appreciate that you understand that this isn't your strength, and that you're turning it over to a new man.
    Well, I do think he did the best he could, and I think he likely did it for, in his mind, out of a love for Cincinnati the city.

It doesn't bother me that you made money and tax breaks. That's ok. This is America, you weren't supposed to take a loss.
    I don't mind the man making a profit.

I'm glad you aren't holding on and passing ownership down to your relatives. I think you believe that you've found the right man for the job.
    Thats not all the comforting a thought to me given his track record.

Thank you, Mr. Lindner. You realized that you were a steward, a transitional owner. You got rid of Marge and Bowden, and I appreciate that. You hired DanO. Now it's time for you to go, as I'm sure you know how well that's worked out.
    Marge was forced out by MLB, not Lindner.

I wish you nothing but happiness for the rest of your life, and I hope it's a long one. You do a lot of good through your various causes, and you should be admired.
    The man has a nice list of positive things he has done over the years that he deservers to be recognized for.

Thanks for saving the franchise from ongoing humiliation, and thanks for realizing you are simply not a baseball man and getting out.
    I'll take 94,95,96,97,98,99 over 00,01,02,03,04,05.

In a few years, history will forget the five years of historically bad baseball and remember you for all your fine public works.

That's really how it should be.
    Agreed.

Dude - I need to have you on retainer to write my eulogy.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Dude - I need to have you on retainer to write my eulogy.

GL

I'm reasonably priced.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I'm reasonably priced.
    Well, you should raise your rates!

Nice thought on the original post ... the man probably caught more flak than he deserved over the last few years.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I don't give credit to people for not having a dog poop on the field.

GL

I give a lot of credit for that. And no covers of SI like Marge's infamous "Red Menace". And respectability from a business point of view. And no more "what do we need scouts for... all they do is watch ballgames."

He didn't know a damn thing about baseball. He trusted Bowden over the protests of Allen on signing Junior. He made plenty of mistakes, like the Larkin extension and going for DanO over Krivsky. But he also pumped his own money into the franchise with the ticket vouchers.

He'll be an astrisk in the big picture of Reds owners. A transitional owner. A stepping stone from rubbing dog hair on the players to what I hope will be the restoration of a proud franchise under Castellini.

Maybe not, but I have hope. And I appreciate the man for the things he's accomplished.

He didn't know a damn thing about baseball.
    That's gravestone stuff right there.

The man accomplished alot... some not so kosher, some very cool... but the fact is the aforementioned.

Neither did CBS, that's why George bought the Yankees from them for a pittance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That's gravestone stuff right there.

The man accomplished alot... some not so kosher, some very cool... but the fact is the aforementioned.

Neither did CBS, that's why George bought the Yankees from them for a pittance.

We can only hope we get the same results from Castellini as the Yankees have from George.

I think Lindner's legacy is so far removed from the Reds that we're a blip on the radar. His detractors will point at the Chiquita - Enquirer controversy. His proponents will look at a lifetime of charity and philanthropy.

The Reds.... a minor blip.

It's more important to us than it has been to him, to be sure. And rightfully so.

I think his motives were pure and he was encumbered by a lack of understanding of the business of baseball. Yeah, he made money on the deal, and he got some nice tax breaks. I can live with that.

I'm sure he wishes his tenure had been more productive. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing when he extended Larkin. I'm sure he completely bought in to DanO's presentation and the "rebuilding of the infrastructure" philosophy. I'm sure he thought he was doing the right thing for the franchise, to build for the future.

It was the right time for him to sell, and he did. He stepped up when he was needed, and now he's stepping down.

His stewardship of the Reds will be a footnote in his legacy, regardless of which side of the ledger you see it on.

When Lindner took over control of the club from Marge Schott, this club was in a financial mess. Forbes magazine put out the sports ranking of all sports teams and the Reds were one of the five worst teams in regards to financial status. Lindner came in and turned things around in a business sense and got the Reds on solid financial footing especially with the opening of Great American Ballpark.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Why I'll go a step further, to most people Peter Bailey was the Building and Loan ...
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yada yada yada....

The guy got to sit there sipping Hudepohl from a can while I had to make do with whatever swill they're serving at that place.

For that, I'm still seething.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?