Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cuba cleared for the WBC

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Cuba cleared for the WBC

Cuba allowed to play in World Baseball Classic
    By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
    January 20, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- Cuba will be allowed to play in the World Baseball Classic, after all.

The U.S. Treasury Department issued a license Friday allowing the Cubans to participate in the 16-team tournament.

Baseball's first application was denied in mid-December by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control, but the commissioner's office and the players' association reapplied after Cuba said it would donate any profits it receives to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

U.S. laws aimed at punishing Fidel Castro's communist government prohibit certain commercial transactions with Cuba, generally attempting to deny money.

"Working closely with World Baseball Classic Inc. and the State Department, we were able to reach a licensable agreement that upholds both the legal scope and the spirit of the sanctions," Treasury spokeswoman Molly Millerwise said.

"This agreement ensures that no funding will make its way into the hands of the Castro regime. The Treasury is pleased to now be able to issue this license and looks forward to seeing all of the teams showcase their talents on the international stage."

After the initial rejection, the International Baseball Federation threatened to withdraw its sanction of the tournament if Cuba was not allowed to participate and Puerto Rico threatened to withdraw as a host.

"We were always positive," said Antonio Munoz, the promoter who paid millions of dollars to stage the first two rounds in Puerto Rico. "There were some negative people, but they were wrong in the end. I always said there was no Plan B. There was only one plan: That Cuba would come and that all efforts should be focused on obtaining approval."

U.S. Olympic Committee chairman Peter Ueberroth had called on the Bush administration to reverse its decision, saying banning Cuba could hurt future American Olympic bids.

Initial reaction to Friday's decision among Cuban fans was positive.

"Oh, magnificent! Tremendous!" exclaimed Osvaldo Herrera, who was standing on a street corner in Havana with three other sports lovers discussing Cuban baseball.

The tournament, the first in which the world's top players will participate on national teams, runs from March 3-20. The other 15 teams submitted their 60-man preliminary rosters earlier this week.

Cuba won the Olympic gold medal in 1992, 1996 and 2004, and the United States won in 2000. Olympic baseball was initially limited to amateur players, but even after professionals were allowed in for the 2000 Sydney Games, major leaguers didn't participate because baseball doesn't stop its regular season for the Olympics.

Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Roger Clemens are among the big-name players on the U.S. roster, and Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols and Vladimir Guerrero are on the Dominican team. Puerto Rico and Japan also are expected to be among the top teams at the tournament.

Cuba is in Group B with Panama, Puerto Rico and the Netherlands, playing its first-round games in San Juan. If they advance, the Cubans also would play their second-round games in San Juan.

Other first-round sites include Kissimmee, Fla.; Phoenix; Scottsdale, Ariz.; and Tokyo. Second-round games also will be played in Anaheim, Calif., and the semifinals and final will be in San Diego.

Associated Press writers Anne-Marie Garcia in Havana and Pedro Zayas in San Juan contributed to this report

Updated on Friday, Jan 20, 2006 12:04 pm EST
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Cuba cleared for the WBC

"This agreement ensures that no funding will make its way into the hands of the Castro regime. The Treasury is pleased to now be able to issue this license and looks forward to seeing all of the teams showcase their talents on the international stage."
    Good news.... both that Cuba will participate and Castro will not get money from it. Also that Hurricane Katrina victims will get that money (I hope). Good to see that things can be worked out in the end and everyone can play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Good to see that things can be worked out in the end and everyone can play the game.
    That's what it's all about, isn't it? Just playing the game and not having to worry about politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The statement made by Castro that the US didn't want Cuba to participate because we didn't want them to beat us probably struck a nerve with the current administration. The Bushes are huge baseball fans, H.W.'s college playing days to W's time as Rangers owner, you know they want to show that the US is the strongest baseball country.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If they beat us now..what happens?
    Go Gators!

This is getting good.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I can't wait for this.

I know the timing's a little off.

I know it takes players away from Spring Training, but I really don't care.

It's World Baseball at it's highest level and it will be infinitely fun to watch.

Heck, I used to dig hard when Fox would broadcast the Carribean World Series.

I'm a junky and I need my fix. I also need to root for a team that actually has a chance to win something for once.

Does anyone think Canadian Hockey fans complain when the Olympics comes around?

I say stop being an elitist and feed your fix.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    This is getting good.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I can't wait for this.

I know the timing's a little off.

I know it takes players away from Spring Training, but I really don't care.

It's World Baseball at it's highest level and it will be infinitely fun to watch.

Heck, I used to dig hard when Fox would broadcast the Carribean World Series.

I'm a junky and I need my fix. I also need to root for a team that actually has a chance to win something for once.

Does anyone think Canadian Hockey fans complain when the Olympics comes around?

I say stop being an elitist and feed your fix.
    I must admit I'm getting excited, too.

I thinking about driving up to Orlando to see some of the Group 2 games (including Venezuela).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

oenupper, what do you think of Venezuela's chances?

I'm thinking it might win this thing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I might be in Puerto Rico during one of the rounds. I was SHOCKED at how expensive the tickets are:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wb...s.jsp?venue=pr

I realize one gets access to 12 games (6 games per round), but I wonder if Bud and company did their homework on the demand side of this. (I won't be attending)

Code:
    Ticket Prices:
    Seat Type Strip Pricing 
    Pricing (includes both Round 1 & Round 2) 
    Infield Box (Blue) $1,146.00 
    Palco A $966.00 
    Palco B $696.00 
    Preferencia A $516.00 
    Preferencia B $456.00 
    Entrada General (12-17) $318.00 
    Bleachers $138.00
    Stick to your guns.

I wonder if Cuba is worried about any of their players defecting?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    oenupper, what do you think of Venezuela's chances?

I'm thinking it might win this thing.
    The team's good, its more balanced than some of the others.
    I like the SP better than the Dominican Republic's.
    Santana, Garcia and Zambrano make a tough top three, with K-Rod then out of the pen. The Dominican Republic can hit a ton, but after Pedro, I dunno about the pitching (Jose Lima, anyone?)

I forsee a great matchup Pedro vs. Santana, to basically decide the group (which is POOL D, for some reason I thought it was Group 2)

The US HAS to be the huge favorite, though. There is so much depth everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I might be in Puerto Rico during one of the rounds. I was SHOCKED at how expensive the tickets are:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wb...s.jsp?venue=pr

I realize one gets access to 12 games (6 games per round), but I wonder if Bud and company did their homework on the demand side of this. (I won't be attending)

Code:
    Ticket Prices:
    Seat Type Strip Pricing 
    Pricing (includes both Round 1 & Round 2) 
    Infield Box (Blue) $1,146.00 
    Palco A $966.00 
    Palco B $696.00 
    Preferencia A $516.00 
    Preferencia B $456.00 
    Entrada General (12-17) $318.00 
    Bleachers $138.00
    Pricing at the Orlando Venues is much better, $25 per game for the best seats. I guess prices were set by the local promoters, otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Turn Off Ads?