Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter From New Owners - Via Enquirer

Letter From New Owners - Via Enquirer

I posted this in the quasi-game thread - but I also think it deserves its own thread -

Just pulled this from Enquirer.com-

New Reds owners make vow to fans

The new Reds owners are pledging to “bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati.”

In a letter to Reds fans, Robert Castellini and his partners vow to “build one of the most respected organizations” in baseball and “rekindle the RedsNation spirit.”

The letter, obtained by The Enquirer, represents the first public comments from Castellini and new partners W. Joseph Williams Jr. and Thomas Williams since the sale of the team from Carl Lindner was announced in November. Baseball owners approved the sale Thursday.

The new owners will hold a news conference at 4 p.m. today at Great American Ball Park.

Here is the text of their letter:

"Dear Cincinnati Reds Fans,

"We are proud to be the new owners of America’s first professional baseball team, the Cincinnati Reds.

"We’re long-time baseball fans who have grown up with the Reds and have fond memories of going to the ballpark. In our lifetime, we faithfully cheered on the Reds through three World Series championships, six National League championships and eight division titles.

"We know this team truly belongs to you, and we understand what the Reds mean to our city and our region. We know what a winning team can do for a city’s pride. We also understand the unique legacy the Reds hold in baseball history and the potential to reignite an American love affair with the nation’s first professional baseball team.

"It is with a sense of both responsibility and respect that we pledge to Reds fans:

• " We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati. The Reds have a long tradition of success. Only three teams have won more World Series than the Reds. We will work hard to be a championship team again.

• "We will build one of the most respected organizations in baseball. As partners in other successful baseball organizations we know how it’s done. We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win. We will foster a winning attitude and culture.

• "We will have a greater community presence. We will continue to improve the lives of area children by building on already successful Reds Community Fund programs like the Rookie Success League. Whether it’s providing a way for inner-city children to play baseball or generating funds for charity, we’ll take this outreach to a new level.

• "We will rekindle the Reds Nation spirit. We'll share our story and our strategy, communicating directly with fans everywhere who want to know what is going on. When you visit the ballpark, we’ll periodically be asking for your feedback so we can continuously improve the experience. Our goal is that you feel a part of the Reds Nation whether you’re at the game, listening on the radio or living in another major league city.

• "We will not rest until you are happy. The Reds are, after all, your team. You buy the tickets. You watch the games. You support us financially and emotionally. Without you, the Reds cannot be great. We know you won’t be happy until the team wins. We won’t be happy either.

"Bringing championship baseball to Cincinnati is the ultimate goal. Like you we believe in the power, potential and magic of the Cincinnati Reds. We will work tirelessly to bring a winner home to you.

"We thank you for this opportunity and hope to earn your support."
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Letter From New Owners - Via Enquirer

Heath, don't you know that when you repost your own post in it's own thread, you disrupt the space-time continuum? You've caused a rip in the very fabric of time!

In response to the letter, I'll repost what Chip said in that thread. "Actions speak louder than words."

If this letter doesn't excite you just a little bit there must be something wrong..then again it also sounds like a creative way for new ownership to sell a few more tickets...Nonetheless hopefully the talk of bringing championships back to Cincinnati is a great thought....

FYI New owners, here's a worldview of the Reds

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2298841

Other options: The Orioles could still deal Luis Matos. The Padres could still trade Dave Roberts. Gathright is going somewhere. And Darin Erstad isn't totally out of the question. We're assuming the Reds won't ever trade an outfielder in our lifetime, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyFalcon
    If this letter doesn't excite you just a little bit there must be something wrong..then again it also sounds like a creative way for new ownership to sell a few more tickets...Nonetheless hopefully the talk of bringing championships back to Cincinnati is a great thought....
    What do you think a new owner is going to say, they aren't going to change anything and have no plans to win?

After 5 straight losing seasons talk isn't going to cut it anymore, I want some see some action. Do something to make me believe, don't just tell me I should.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Actions do speak louder than words, but these words sounds like they at least understand. Doesn't mean they'll succeed or do any better than Lindner, but it sounds like they understand how WE view the Reds in historical terms in baseball. We, the Reds, should be a pre-eminent franchise, not an also ran. If they have a goal of achieving that status, then these men are on the right path.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

• "...Our goal is that you feel a part of the Reds Nation whether you’re at the game, listening on the radio or living in another major league city.
    RedsZone has already taken care of that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Of all the noise I hear - I like this one the best -

Quote Originally Posted by Robt. Castellini
    "We will build one of the most respected organizations in baseball. As partners in other successful baseball organizations we know how itís done. We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win. We will foster a winning attitude and culture.
    I think we can DanO and John Allen good-bye. (I hope )
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Haunted by walks

They've given us something to evaluate them with. We should save it and chart their progress.

They're talking about championships instead of being competitive, about a winning management team instead of breaking even.

We'll have to watch the drafting, developing and the pitching.

But apparently, at any time we can write them a letter and say, "No rest for you, we're not happy yet."

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Of all the noise I hear - I like this one the best -

I think we can DanO and John Allen good-bye. (I hope )
    I think the letter says just that, but it doesn't say when, and that's the important part imho. It needs to happen today. Someone get RCast to sign up for RedsZone and then he'll know what the fans (well, the intelligent ones) think .
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    I think the letter says just that, but it doesn't say when, and that's the important part imho. It needs to happen today. Someone get RCast to sign up for RedsZone and then he'll know what the fans (well, the intelligent ones) think .
    When someone tells you to be patient, what he's really asking for is time to come up with an excuse for not meeting your needs.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

• "We will build one of the most respected organizations in baseball. As partners in other successful baseball organizations we know how it’s done. We will build a winning management team by putting the right people in the right positions with the right resources to win. We will foster a winning attitude and culture.

I read this as "Our current management team sucks. The wrong people are in the wrong positions and have created a losing atmosphere. We'll fix it."

Goodbye Mr Allen and Mr O'Brien...

He acknowledges that the fans are paramount. Carl never did.

He says he wants a championship. Carl never did.

He said he's going to run things personally. Carl never did.

He said people would get the resources they need. Carl never did.

He said (in an interview) that the baseball side of the house looked like crap, and implied that he was unhappy about that state of affairs. Carl never did.

All in all, a pretty good speech/letter/day.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Well, this gives me a bit of hope. And seeing what they did as part of the ownership team in St. Louis mays me think that they will actually do something.

Foxfire123

Good letter, but I'm still miffed at some of the changes he made, they don't seem to help much, the same guy is still running the team.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?