Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds sale officially approved...

Re: Reds sale officially approved...

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I really hope no one is expecting anything more than Status Quo tomorrow.

Don't get your hopes up that anything major will happen.

What a tragic missed opportunity that would be.

By keeping DanO and his administration in power, he's giving tacit approval to the job they've done.

What could he possible have to learn watching DanO operate this franchise?

A bold move could do so much to energize the fan base.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    The bigger issue, I think, is whether or not Castellini is bringing in someone over DanO's head to run things. I think it's far more likely that DanO is retained with someone making the decisions above him than it is DanO is replaced outright at this point.
    Agree. Folks shouldn't focus too much on whether DanO is fired. The first major question is who Castellini hires to run the baseball operations. That may not happen tomorrow, but should happen quite soon I would think.

Cast won't hire the GM, the PofO will. If Cast doesn't bring in somebody to handle Operations, that is a bad sign.

As I said earlier, it isn't who is fired, but who is hired.........or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    What a tragic missed opportunity that would be.

By keeping DanO and his administration in power, he's giving tacit approval to the job they've done.

What could he possible have to learn watching DanO operate this franchise?

A bold move could do so much to energize the fan base.
    I respectfully disagree. While DanO is has done little to help (perhaps much to hurt?) this franchise, he is by no means the biggest thorn in club's paw. The new owners have quite a job on their hands: turning around a franchise seemingly possessing a one-way ticket to join the Pirates in the doldrums. The entire franchise needs a new way of thinking, a new way of looking at the game...heck, a new way of doing business entirely. No sense in wasting time with DanO's replacement now. Too much to be done to lay the groundwork to assure the next GM has the tools in place to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    I respectfully disagree. While DanO is has done little to help (perhaps much to hurt?) this franchise, he is by no means the biggest thorn in club's paw. The new owners have quite a job on their hands: turning around a franchise seemingly possessing a one-way ticket to join the Pirates in the doldrums. The entire franchise needs a new way of thinking, a new way of looking at the game...heck, a new way of doing business entirely. No sense in wasting time with DanO's replacement now. Too much to be done to lay the groundwork to assure the next GM has the tools in place to succeed.

I understand what you're saying. I was saying it myself when DanO took office.

I was all for giving him time to prove himself. I was one of his most staunch defenders, I was so happy to see Bowden gone.

I don't see what we have left to see from DanO to make a decision. If Castellini comes in and says he's going to take his time to assess the situation, certainly that would be a conservative business approach that would be hard to fault.

But it's all we've seen from this franchise for 5 straight years of losing. A legacy of failure. A completely disgruntled and disinterested fan base.

I contend that DanO is history, whether it's tomorrow, next week, or the end of his current contract. So why wait, when a symbolic gesture that might give hope to the fans that somehow, someway things are going to be different now?

Show some balls, Mr. Castellini. Come in with a flourish. Make a statement that mediocrity is no longer tolerated.

You think that wouldn't excite the fans?

You think ANYONE other than DanO's family is hoping that he keeps his job?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    The entire franchise needs a new way of thinking, a new way of looking at the game...heck, a new way of doing business entirely. No sense in wasting time with DanO's replacement now. Too much to be done to lay the groundwork to assure the next GM has the tools in place to succeed.
    The problem is that Dan O'Brien continues to squander opportunities to bring those tools into the fold with the Reds. He deals players for 4-pitch pitchers with no velocity and inability to get hitters out above the AAA level and has shown little ability to put together deals that improve either the ballclub or the farm system in any measurable way.

On the Free Agent front, he's shown absolutely zero ability to evaluate major league talent, overpaying for Milton and Wilson, and bringing in overrated "name" utilitymen like Aurillia and Womack that do little to improve the defense or the offense of the ballclub.

Meanwhile, on the home front, he's failed miserably at his task of getting the players the Reds HAVE grown through the farm system to sign on with the club long term to create cost-certainty and, in several cases, has shown what I'd consider outright incomptence in managing players like Edwin Encarnacion and Austin Kearns.

DanO is part of the problem and almost certainly NOT part of the solution. The fact that the team is starved for "tools" is a direct result of having a complete tool for a GM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Retired

This franchise, while planning for the future, needs something that will excite the fans NOW. DanO & his pals Tony Womack and Richy boy ain't going to cut it.

DanO will not solve this teams problems, so why waste time and keep him around? Just get it over with and start searching for a GM to lead this team into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    This franchise, while planning for the future, needs something that will excite the fans NOW. DanO & his pals Tony Womack and Richy boy ain't going to cut it.

DanO will not solve this teams problems, so why waste time and keep him around? Just get it over with and start searching for a GM to lead this team into the future.
    Nope, DanO's no solution, but the guy that is, probably isn't available right now, if he is, he will be brought in, but it is 2006, the time for "GM" searching is probably gone. Patience, patience. Start with PofO first.

My worry with DanO is that he's created a 2007-9 problem. It can be fixed, but something needs to be done quick. DanO's only going to make it worse. Unless you want to pluck someone with a current MLB GM job, then the field should be wide open. Assistant GMs are not locked into their current jobs if they have an immediate chance to move up the ladder. Even if the organization plans to take some time to find that permanent GM it would still be wise to bring in a new team president (something Castellini should have lined up when his offer got accepted) and sack DanO in favor of an interim committee led by that team president. You don't want the old regime making decisions for and acting as the public face of the new one.

Anyway, I still say it's beyond strange to have a press conference at 4 p.m. the day after the news breaks. For instance, I had to cover breaking news of a tech industry sale that went down today. There's no 24 hours of radio silence.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My worry with DanO is that he's created a 2007-9 problem.
    exactly ... all DanO has done since he got here is push the date for a return to winning farther out in the future. Every day he stays just delays the possibility

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    My worry with DanO is that he's created a 2007-9 problem. It can be fixed, but something needs to be done quick. DanO's only going to make it worse. Unless you want to pluck someone with a current MLB GM job, then the field should be wide open. Assistant GMs are not locked into their current jobs if they have an immediate chance to move up the ladder. Even if the organization plans to take some time to find that permanent GM it would still be wise to bring in a new team president (something Castellini should have lined up when his offer got accepted) and sack DanO in favor of an interim committee led by that team president. You don't want the old regime making decisions for and acting as the public face of the new one.

Anyway, I still say it's beyond strange to have a press conference at 4 p.m. the day after the news breaks. For instance, I had to cover breaking news of a tech industry sale that went down today. There's no 24 hours of radio silence.
    DanO is future perfect, baby.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    You think ANYONE other than DanO's family is hoping that he keeps his job?
    Probably about 29 other baseball teams.

I agree that DanO has to go or at the very least have him answer to a superior on all baseball matters. But we thought DanO would be an improvement on JimBo. Turns out that wasn't the case. Could a new GM be worse than DanO? Even marginally better isn't going to cut it. Like Brooklyn said, they need a new way of doing business entirely. They need bold moves. The last time the Reds did anything bold was when they traded for Jr. I know these guys are late from the Cards ownership group but they are from Cincinnati. That spells status quo to me. It spells old school to the nth degree. Castellini and the Williamses may have bold things to say tomorrow but do not judge them by their words, judge them by their actions. They may say they won't accept losing and those in charge will be held responsible but they may then give DanO a 3 year extention cause they like his "commitment to building from within."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yup, if/when DanO stays he will push the Reds organization back even farther. So we are looking at two full years of cleaning up to do when a new GM gets in here (if he stays on, as I expect, thru the 2006 season)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life

Yes. No f'n excuses. Succeed or die. Do that groundwork-laying crap where I can't see it; win now. Right now.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I know we're probably not going to sack DanO anytime soon.

Doesn't stop me from hoping, though.

Conservative, steady, mired in mediocrity. God forbid a bold move that might give hope to the hopeless.

I sense hopelessness in RedsNation.

We've been whipped down pretty good the last few years.

How good is that for ticket sales, Mr. Castellini?

Turn Off Ads?