Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds sale officially approved...

Re: Reds sale officially approved...

Because he is under contract through this year. Because while Castellini may have an idea of the man he wants for GM maybe that man isn't available yet. Or as stated above it would be more fruitful to take time to make the right decisions than to just rush to judgement and make the wrong ones now, just to be doing something.

There is really not much that anyone would be able to do to help the Reds this upcoming season, short of the blockbuster (i.e. Dunn) trade. So why shouldn't Castellini save money and just let it ride till after the season, or by waiting till July when the Reds are 15 games out of first and do the big splash then to drum up some interest. I'm not saying that he won't fire DanO right away, but even if he does will that do anything for the 2006 season? I don't think it will.

If MLB would have gotten off of their collective butts in November and approved the sale back then, then yes I think a new GM could have made an impact on this coming season and I would have been one of the blood-thirsty fans calling for DanO's firring before Thanksgiving, but that didn't happen so we have to accept this coming season for what it is and hope for the best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    So why are we keeping him then?

To what end?

We're afraid to let him run the draft, and we're afraid to let him make a trade.

I'd like to think that Castellini has already been thinking about the kind of man he wants for GM. He's had plenty of time to get ready.

The world won't end if Castellini makes no moves. It will, however, signal more "Status Quo" to a long suffering fan base. And to what end? Anyone think DanO will be rehired when his deal is up? Anyone need to see any more to decide?

A new broom sweeps clean.
    That pretty much sums it up. If you're going to walk in and claim to be an agent of change, then you've got to make substantive changes. You can't have the same guy running the show the same way as he did before you arrived.

Plus, anyone who needs more time to evaluate DanO suffers from galloping DanOitis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

In my opinion, the greatest effect that sacking DanO would have would be a public relations effect.

It would signal loud and clear that the new ownership is not satisfied with "Status Quo"

I'm sure that anything DanO does from this point on will be heavily scrutinized by Castellini and whoever has his ear.

Hopelessness pervades every corner of RedsNation. Every corner. 5 dismal years, a death spiral of fan interest.

I know a lot of long time fans who simply didn't care after the all star break last year. The fans are Castellini's customers. This business isn't about letting DanO ride out his contract. It's about re-energizing the fan base.

If, as so many predict, Castellini takes his time and assesses the situation and keeps things the way they are as he settles in, well, what do we as fans have to look forward to this year?

Give me some hope, dammit!!!

Show me that Status Quo is no longer acceptable. What do you think would happen if he sacked DanO immediately? We'd get worse? Please.

Put a new face on the franchise. Give us some hope. This isn't some wild-ass crazy idea. It's marketing.

Throw out the stale lettuce, Mr. Castellini. You didn't build your empire selling moldy vegetables.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz
    Because he is under contract through this year. Because while Castellini may have an idea of the man he wants for GM maybe that man isn't available yet. Or as stated above it would be more fruitful to take time to make the right decisions than to just rush to judgement and make the wrong ones now, just to be doing something.

There is really not much that anyone would be able to do to help the Reds this upcoming season, short of the blockbuster (i.e. Dunn) trade. So why shouldn't Castellini save money and just let it ride till after the season, or by waiting till July when the Reds are 15 games out of first and do the big splash then to drum up some interest. I'm not saying that he won't fire DanO right away, but even if he does will that do anything for the 2006 season? I don't think it will.

If MLB would have gotten off of their collective butts in November and approved the sale back then, then yes I think a new GM could have made an impact on this coming season and I would have been one of the blood-thirsty fans calling for DanO's firring before Thanksgiving, but that didn't happen so we have to accept this coming season for what it is and hope for the best.
    So what if Castellini's guy isn't available yet. That's like finding out your house has termites and not doing anything about it because the regular guy you use is on vacation. Meanwhile the termites are eating the house up.

DanO is eating the house up. Bringing Branch Rickey back from the dead won't help the Reds this year but it might stop the decay of the franchise under DanO. Look what happened when JimBo got fired. Yeah, the Reds could have saved a few bucks by keeping him around till the end of the year but they sacked him and let Kullman and Maddux run the show and that's how we got the best and most promising 2/5ths of our starting rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I haven't seen it posted yet, but Marc's article is interesting.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....601200329/1027

He says the same thing most articles have been saying that Allen, O'Brien, and Narron are expected to stay for now. But he also mentions that the three of them are expected to be at the press conference. To me this is a cause for pause. If Castellini knew he was going to have to make changes at the top, which I think many of use believe a clean sweep is necessary, then why would he want to make his grand appearance as owner with symbols of the past failures?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    In my opinion, the greatest effect that sacking DanO would have would be a public relations effect.

It would signal loud and clear that the new ownership is not satisfied with "Status Quo"

I'm sure that anything DanO does from this point on will be heavily scrutinized by Castellini and whoever has his ear.

Hopelessness pervades every corner of RedsNation. Every corner. 5 dismal years, a death spiral of fan interest.

I know a lot of long time fans who simply didn't care after the all star break last year. The fans are Castellini's customers. This business isn't about letting DanO ride out his contract. It's about re-energizing the fan base.

If, as so many predict, Castellini takes his time and assesses the situation and keeps things the way they are as he settles in, well, what do we as fans have to look forward to this year?

Give me some hope, dammit!!!

Show me that Status Quo is no longer acceptable. What do you think would happen if he sacked DanO immediately? We'd get worse? Please.

Put a new face on the franchise. Give us some hope. This isn't some wild-ass crazy idea. It's marketing.

Throw out the stale lettuce, Mr. Castellini. You didCastellini.n't build your empire selling moldy vegetables.
    I think Castellini had some time to look at the club while waiting for approval from MLB.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    why would he want to make his grand appearance as owner with symbols of the past failures?
    I just hope we don't hear "We love what Dan is doing here"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    But he also mentions that the three of them are expected to be at the press conference. To me this is a cause for pause. If Castellini knew he was going to have to make changes at the top, which I think many of use believe a clean sweep is necessary, then why would he want to make his grand appearance as owner with symbols of the past failures?
    CASTELLINI: "....and the Cincinnati Reds wouldn't be where they are today without the solid, steady leadership of Dan O'Brien and John Allen." [applause] "Gentlemen, why don't you stand up and let the good folks of Cincinnati see you."

[O'Brien stands. Allen stands.]

CASTELLINI: "Gentlemen, you're fired."

(hey, a boy can dream...)
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    CASTELLINI: "....and the Cincinnati Reds wouldn't be where they are today without the solid, steady leadership of Dan O'Brien and John Allen." [applause] "Gentlemen, why don't you stand up and let the good folks of Cincinnati see you."

[O'Brien stands. Allen stands.]

CASTELLINI: "Gentlemen, you're fired."

(hey, a boy can dream...)
    yep, a good ole Vince McMahon firing in the middle of the ring would be great.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I guess we're going to hear a "Good job, Brownie" from Castellini, huh?

Kill me now.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    yep, a good ole Vince McMahon firing in the middle of the ring would be great.
    Either that, or announce that there will be an impromptu "Pink Slip Ladder Match" between Dan O'Brien and John Allen, with the loser being fired.

Things would be going great until....

"My god! That's...that's Jim Bowden's music!! What the hell is he doing here!?!"
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

After reading Marc Lancaster's blog, I get the feeling the "insiders" all know that no changes will be made today. That really disappoints me in so many ways. Everyone seems to be saying that it is too late to make changes. I disagree because I think we could do better with different leadership, but I'll just sulk today.

Of course, RCast might just surprise us all. It's happened before, but if inside people think it won't happen, it probably won't.

I'll say what I've said for the last few years. I just hope I live long enough to see a competitive team fielded by the Reds. I am heading toward 60 really fast. Another year of losing and another year older. Making those moves today would give me and a lot of fans hope. I hope I don't run out of time before someone decides to move to make this club a contender.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?