Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds sale officially approved...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Reds sale officially approved...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792
    Hey, if the Reds are looking for a kid GM of their own, I'm more than happy to throw my hat into the ring.

Casty, if you're reading this: I graduate in May, and I work on the cheap.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    Inspector Clouseau and Jacques Clouseau are one and the same

It appears that you are correct, sir.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Hey, if the Reds are looking for a kid GM of their own, I'm more than happy to throw my hat into the ring.

Casty, if you're reading this: I graduate in May, and I work on the cheap.
    We can put together the RedsZone Minions and go grab a World Series ring or three.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    no it isnt. who could they replace dan o with right now? exactly. keeping says nothing other than well, NOTHING
    Any replacement would be better.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I really hope no one is expecting anything more than Status Quo tomorrow.
    I expect at least a year of "evaluation"

2006 is already down the tube, 2007 is in serious danger.
    Go Gators!

Either way let the healing begin !

This will probably get pummelled but I don't agree that the first thing on the new ownership's mind should be to fire DonO. He has done some good things and some bad things. Just because he hasn't managed the club in line with some members of REDSZONE doesn't mean he has done a good job. There are better GMs out there but they aren't moving. Look at Omar Minaya he has brought in the names but they still don't contend. Milton had a horrific season but if you look at any other pitcher being piad the same from last year's free agent market they did not do comparatively better (especially the alternative of Clement). I'm willing to give him a longer go especially given some of the younger signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    This will probably get pummelled but I don't agree that the first thing on the new ownership's mind should be to fire DonO. He has done some good things and some bad things. Just because he hasn't managed the club in line with some members of REDSZONE doesn't mean he has done a good job. There are better GMs out there but they aren't moving. Look at Omar Minaya he has brought in the names but they still don't contend. Milton had a horrific season but if you look at any other pitcher being piad the same from last year's free agent market they did not do comparatively better (especially the alternative of Clement). I'm willing to give him a longer go especially given some of the younger signings.

I was one of DanO's biggest supporters when he was hired.

I was all about giving him a chance to show what he's got.

That's not an open ended endorsement. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. Just as he cut off the head of Haynes and Jiminez for poor performance, so should his fate be sealed. It's not personal. It's professional.

What more do we need to see to make a judgment? Is the jury still out on DanO?

Should we entrust even one more day to his leadership?

I really don't expect Castellini to sack him tomorrow. My fondest hopes are that he'll take a week or two and let him save some face and replace him around Feb. 1.

I know that's improbable. A man has to have a dream, though.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Wasn't it mentioned that Castellini like what Jim Bowden did as GM? You wouldn't think he would re-hire Bowden down the road and bring in Pinella to be manager?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Wasn't it mentioned that Castellini like what Jim Bowden did as GM? You wouldn't think he would re-hire Bowden down the road and bring in Pinella to be manager?

Pinella good..Bowden..BAD.
    Go Gators!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Bill Reik, who is married to Bowden's ex-wife, is still a minority owner. As long as he's around I'd say the chances of Bowden returning to the Reds are zero, not that I'd want him back anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Dan O'Brien was handed a heck of an offensive club- one that only came together by accident considering his refusal to allow Felipe Lopez to develop at the MLB level in 2005. He took a bad pitching staff and made it worse. There was exactly ONE full-time MLB starter who pitched as badly as Eric Milton in 2005 (Jose Lima).

The very idea that a Matt Clement didn't produce "comparitively better" numbers is ludicrous considering that Clement was worth over 40 Runs less than was Eric Milton if Clement had only pitched Milton's Innings. 40 Runs. In short, Clement (at his worst) instead of Milton would have erased about 58% of the Reds' negative Run Differential in 2005. Yeah. One guy. 40 Runs. Paid less. At his worst.

All O'Brien is doing right now is damage. The new ownership needs to stop it and stop it now.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Let's see, Omar Minaya came in and the Mets improved by 12 games in his first season. The offense improved by 38 runs, going from 12th to 7th in the NL. The pitching/defense improved by 83 runs, going from 8th to 3rd in the NL.

The Expos improved 25 games when he took them over with a corresponding across-the-board improvement in the team numbers.

DanO and Minaya aren't even the same species of GM. Minaya's a successful mammal of some variety. DanO's a plant.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Everyone needs to just take a deep breath and calm down. I don't expect any big heads to roll up front. It would be just foolish to make the wrong move by hiring the wrong man for the job 8 months earlier than the right man in 8 months.

What I do expect is for Casteneli to hire someone to be an evaluator to see who if anyone in the front office should be kept.

The earth isn't going to end if DanO is allowed to finish out his contract (under supervision) or if John Allen is allowed to sign checks till next year. The only area I wouldn't want DanO really making the decisions on is the draft this year I would really like to see someone else to make all of those decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz

The earth isn't going to end if DanO is allowed to finish out his contract (under supervision) or if John Allen is allowed to sign checks till next year. The only area I wouldn't want DanO really making the decisions on is the draft this year I would really like to see someone else to make all of those decisions.

So why are we keeping him then?

To what end?

We're afraid to let him run the draft, and we're afraid to let him make a trade.

I'd like to think that Castellini has already been thinking about the kind of man he wants for GM. He's had plenty of time to get ready.

The world won't end if Castellini makes no moves. It will, however, signal more "Status Quo" to a long suffering fan base. And to what end? Anyone think DanO will be rehired when his deal is up? Anyone need to see any more to decide?

A new broom sweeps clean.
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?