Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Castellini.."This is our First Day"- DDN Article

Castellini.."This is our First Day"- DDN Article

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport.../0121reds.html

Sue Castellini sat in the front row, the closest possible seat to where her husband would be introduced. She was dressed in all red, a shade that was almost as bright as her constant smile.

All around her was a crowd perhaps better fit for a roast than a press conference, as many of Cincinnati's business elite and the Cincinnati Reds' past and present gathered in the 4192 Dining Room at Great American Ball Park on Friday to meet and celebrate the Reds' new ownership.

Shortly before 4 p.m., with the lights bright and the television stations prepared to go live, Robert Castellini was ushered to the small stage with new ownership partners W. Joseph and Thomas L. Williams. Castellini, the Reds' new controlling owner and chief executive officer, looked commanding in a gray pin-striped suit and a tie featuring Reds logos inside red and gray diagonal stripes.

Longtime Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman did the introduction, and Castellini began his speech.

"We will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati," Castellini said in his steady, hearty voice as part of his 11-minute, 37-second opening address. The declaration brought applause from the crowded room usually used a food and drink stop for upscale Reds customers.

On Thursday, Major League Baseball's owners approved a deal that gave Castellini, the Williams brothers and the rest of his ownership group control of about 70 percent of the club, which cost them approximately $270 million.

Castellini, a Cincinnati native and president of fruit and vegetable wholesaler Castellini Co., replaced Cincinnati businessman Carl H. Lindner as CEO, a title he had held since 1999.

During his 35-minute meeting with the media, Castellini promised to make every effort to improve the Reds immediately after five straight losing seasons, look for better pitching and work diligently inside GAPB, where Lindner was rarely seen. The three new owners were presented with Reds jerseys that included their names on the back with the number "06."

"Look," Castellini said, placing his hands on the front of the podium. "If all the stars line up right, we're going to have a pitching staff that's a lot better than it was last year. St. Louis had no idea Chris Carpenter would come off rehab and become the Cy Young Award winner. We've got two or three instances like that on our pitching staff.

"We're looking at the cup half full. We're not pie in the sky, but we feel like we're going to do better than people think we're going to do. And we're trying to improve the team, especially in the pitching area, as we speak. Whether that's going to happen or not, I don't have the answer."

Behind Castellini, the Williams brothers listened. Joe Williams had entered the room with a bright red sport coat accompanied by a blue tie with Reds logos within. His wife, Judy, sat in the crowd with a red Cincinnati cap that sparkled inside the white wishbone "C."

"We're excited, but we're not celebrating," Tom Williams said at the podium. "And we're not going to celebrate until the fans tell us it's time. We're going to work tirelessly and endlessly until we bring championship baseball back to Cincinnati."

Following the question-and-answer session, Castellini — whose gray hair is fighting white, or maybe vice versa — went off for photos and encouragement as many of the guests retired to the Riverfront Club for refreshments.

Former Reds slugger George Foster mingled with Joe Nuxhall. Bengals color radio announcer Dave Lapham shook hands. Chris Sabo, the former Reds third baseball, practiced his golf swing.

There was plenty of Reds history involved on Friday, with large championship banners hanging from the walls and memorable faces around.

Just as Castellini says he wants.

About 20 minutes after the press conference ended, and after he had circled the large room taking congratulations and looking into television cameras, Castellini sat in a chair on the small stage and looked out at a huddle of reporters.

After a few questions pertaining to how he would structure his organization or moves he would make, he looked down, and his voice showed its first sign of fatigue.

"This is our first day," Castellini said with his big hands folded in front of him and his soft blue eyes looking downward. "This is our first day."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini.."This is our First Day"- DDN Article

I am new to this board -- joining because I truly believe that this new ownership group will accomplish their stated goals. I have followed the Reds since the days of Johnny Temple, Roy McMillan, Wally Post, Gus Bell, Joey Jay, etc. But in the last few years I must admit that I have been extremely disappointed by the product on the field. I really yearn for the days of the Big Red Machine. I believe there is now hope -- Bob Castellini's idea of a "glass half full", and a commitment to putting a championship team back in Cincinnati are very encouraging.

(Off topic)
    Welcome iaredsfan
    Go Gators!

Did anyone hear Castellini talk to Gary Burbank after the Press Conference? He was asked about his meeting with Lou and he said something to the effect that Lou is taking a year off and all he'd have to do is say the word and he'd be in cincinnati...something to theat effect...Narron cannot be feeling so great right now.

I was shocked he said that...I am hating on WLW as they broke from the press conference at 4:30 instead of staying with it.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by CincyReds2003
    "And we're trying to improve the team, especially in the pitching area, as we speak. Whether that's going to happen or not, I don't have the answer."
    I find this quote to be the most interesting. It's as if he is indicating there are negotiations going on to acquire additional pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    He was asked about his meeting with Lou and he said something to the effect that Lou is taking a year off and all he'd have to do is say the word and he'd be in cincinnati...something to theat effect...Narron cannot be feeling so great right now.
    He said earlier that he offered Lou an advisory position. I didn't get the impression he meant as a future manager.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    I find this quote to be the most interesting. It's as if he is indicating there are negotiations going on to acquire additional pitching.
    Either that, or he's got one of his henchmen making sure that Eric Milton "doesn't make it" to training camp.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

St. Louis had no idea Chris Carpenter would come off rehab and become the Cy Young Award winner. We've got two or three instances like that on our pitching staff

So we have three Chris Carpenter's on this staff? Wow. Where have they been hiding these past few years?

You want to bring championship baseball back to Cincy? Then fire Dan O'Brien.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    He said earlier that he offered Lou an advisory position. I didn't get the impression he meant as a future manager.
    I too was under the impression it was for an advisory position. That away he was able to manage a certain team (Yankees) if it became open.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine

So we have three Chris Carpenter's on this staff? Wow. Where have they been hiding these past few years?

You want to bring championship baseball back to Cincy? Then fire Dan O'Brien.
    I think he is saying that three of our guys a capable of going out there and putting up cy young type numbers. Harang, Claussen, and gulp... Milton are all capable. Just have to stay consistant... consistantly good. Now will we get them all next year? No.. but the talent in them three is there.

I think it is reasonable that Narron and OBrien get a chance but are on a short leash. I think it is reasonable that Pinella takes a break and comes back next year. I think it is very reasonable that he could have his pick of jobs with this club after next offseason.

It is too late in the game to make wholesale changes now IMO. I think you wait until after the season, figure out this year who might be worth keeping around, and clean house top to bottom after the 06 World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I think he is saying that three of our guys a capable of going out there and putting up cy young type numbers. Harang, Claussen, and gulp... Milton are all capable. Just have to stay consistant... consistantly good. Now will we get them all next year? No.. but the talent in them three is there.
    I doubt he was saying that at all.

I think he was saying that we have a number of guys who could be far better than they were last year and could surprise people. Some people who due to injury didn't perform. Wilson is in that camp. Milton might be, if his knee was a problem he kept quiet last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I think he is saying that three of our guys a capable of going out there and putting up cy young type numbers. Harang, Claussen, and gulp... Milton are all capable.
    Harang and Claussen are still young so who knows..but Milton is not, at best he can post an era of 4.75, that is not cy young worthy
    Go Gators!

After a few questions pertaining to how he would structure his organization or moves he would make, he looked down, and his voice showed its first sign of fatigue.

"This is our first day," Castellini said with his big hands folded in front of him and his soft blue eyes looking downward. "This is our first day."
    This quote leads me to believe that there are moves coming, potentially both on the field and in the Front Office.

Be patient, Reds fans.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Castellini is a successful businessman that does not sit up in some high rise but goes to the office (at the stadium) rolls his sleeves up and gets dirty. He will not make wholesale changes right off the mark. He will get in there, see how things work, tweek some things and allow folks to do their jobs. My guess is if results don't occur in a short timeframe then he will make changes. He did say "I am not a patient man." I take him at his word. For a dude to come in there and spend boo coo bucks and say he will bring championship baseball to Cincinnati and he won't be satisfied until the fans are satisfied..well you gotta like the guy. At least he knows who butters his bread. I could be wrong but I think good things are gonna come from this ownership. Will they win the World Series this year? I doubt it but quite frankly I don't think they are that far off personally. I hope the fans show up and support this entusiastic owner and most of all the Reds!

Turn Off Ads?