Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I for one LOVED what I heard

Re: I for one LOVED what I heard

FCB: you have identified all that should not be said....what are ya gonna have a presser about? There's no more that can be said

Maybe he couldve said "i'm comin in here to kick some arse so get ready for that".

He said the right stuff. He dint screw anything up or _iss anyone off ala Ray Knight making his danderheaded remarks about Davey Johnson. It was a good first day that could've been better by 10%.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, there's just something vaguely atavistic about murmurs of Lou Piniella. We need a "dog chasing its tail" smiley.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

To be fair, I'll include the language from Cast's speech that, reading between the lines, gives me the faintest ray of hope:

"Or, Cleveland, who finished two games out of the playoffs, only had two-thirds of our budget. Most importantly, we will invest our budget opportunistically and strategically. Our experience as owners with other franchises has proven that it's not so much what you spend -- it's how you spend that's most important."

In other words, I hope this means no more imbecilic proportions of payroll going to 9 year deals for 30-year-old players. So that's something.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    We need a "dog chasing its tail" smiley.
    I'll see what I have
    Go Gators!

Castellini's off to a great start, just by his opening remarks. He's got an energy and sense of urgency about him that was oh-so lacking with Mr. Lindner. Old Carl ran this organization in his stoical, grim-faced, plodding manner that left a pall over everything Reds.

With Catellini, it's like somebody threw open a window, and we now have fresh air and sunshine again.

Castellini said a few nice things. I like that he's a fan of the game. Then again he said a few dumb things too. This is essentially the same Reds team as it was when Castellini punted his box seats, saddled with the same leadership.

I doubt ticket sales are going to pick up based on what he said yesterday. That's going to take some action. To that effect it didn't really matter what he said. The franchise will revolve around what he does.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2

I doubt ticket sales are going to pick up based on what he said yesterday. That's going to take some action. To that effect it didn't really matter what he said. The franchise will revolve around what he does.

Exactly. If no moves are made to improve the pitching staff other than saying "the glass is half full" and hoping they magically get better, we're just as screwed as last year.

"The glass is half full". That's like saying "we don't really suck as much as it appeared last year".

You can paint three stripes on a turd, and it's still a turd.

It just becomes a stylish turd.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Castellini said a few nice things. I like that he's a fan of the game. Then again he said a few dumb things too. This is essentially the same Reds team as it was when Castellini punted his box seats, saddled with the same leadership.

Distinguishing between what was said and what one wants to believe was said can be right thirsty work.

I fear an owner who would try so hard to recapture the past the he'd bring in people not qualified for certain positions (Lou to GM as an example)
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I fear an owner who would try so hard to recapture the past the he'd bring in people not qualified for certain positions (Lou to GM as an example)
    Krono, you and I are such futurists--

I wouldn't be suprised at all if Piniella is named to a Theo type of role later on this Spring. Marking an end to Dan O'Brein decisions...

Lou Piniella is my Manager...

Narron can stay on as Bench Coach, cause McLaren has a job anyway...

JaredRoberts.com

Cool..we have a picture FCB
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    As for being able to diagnose the problems...i didnt hear Lindner do it for 5 years...Marge couldn't do it...point being, it's not always the case that a CEO can identify strengths/limitations of an organization. The bar is set low, but at least Castellini was able to clear it. I'm happy he was able to clear that first, really low bar. We haven't had an owner that could do that for the last 20 years. I know it's not much, but it's a heck of a lot more than we've had in the past....it's a good start.
    Absolutely!

Marge didn't have any idea how valuable scouting is or that the minor leagues should be the backbone of the "big" team. She cared more about the character of her players, their physical appearance, and whether or not they liked her dog. Heck, she didn't even know why fans should care about the scores of other teams' games and came very close to having them removed from Riverfront.

Don't get me wrong, Marge had a huge heart and she loved the team... but she knew NOTHING about baseball and obviously didn't care to learn.

When Carl Lindner took over the team, I don't remember anything about baseball being included in his inaugural speech (though I could be wrong as not much about it actually comes to mind). First and foremost, I remember the biggest deal being about keeping the Reds in the hands of a local owner... that's it. The only thing Mr. Lindern felt was important at the time (and still does).

Mr. Castellini talked a great deal about his BASEBALL expectations. Does he have it all worked out as of yesterday? I doubt it. But it sounds like he'll begin working on it right away, starting by locating his office at GAB where he can keep an eye and ear on things. Getting Allen off the baseball side was HUGE in my mind. And having DOB report directly to him sounds to me like he intends to stay on top of what he is up to as well.

He's going to find out just what the heck is going on in the front office before he makes any rash moves. I think he'll definitely make some moves after he's had the opportunity to thoroughly assess the situation... up until now, all he knows is what he's been told and what he's been able to see for himself from the outside looking in.

In addition, all the partners are not yet even on board. He may need those people in order to accomplish some of what he hopes to be improvements within the organization.

I must admit, I'm hoping one of his first commitments is doing what it takes to get Dunn done!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I can tell you what I didn't want to hear: crap about the past. And we had that--and then some.

If I'm not mistaken, John Allen used the new park and the Reds history museum as the dose of chocolate syrup on the feces sundae of a team we've been served for 6 seasons. I don't care that a bunch of old faces are going to be milling around the place; we've had that schtick going on forever and it's done nothing.
    Thanks ALOT!!! Just had a brownie sundae...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Thanks ALOT!!! Just had a brownie sundae...
    My metaphors make people hurl!

Turn Off Ads?