Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I for one LOVED what I heard

Re: I for one LOVED what I heard

I doubt Lou was talking about the GM job with Cast. I think it was to field manage, but Lou is burned out and wants a year to recoup. But it is possible that Lou manages the Reds next year IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I appreciated the enthusiasm, but I'd like to see some real change in fairly short order, something that lets me know the Castellini understands just how bad the pitching is. Sure, "I think I can; I think I can" will sometimes help get you up the hill, but The Little Engine That Could didn't have a higher ERA than the Colorado Rockies.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I fear an owner who would try so hard to recapture the past the he'd bring in people not qualified for certain positions (Lou to GM as an example)
    He didn't say GM; he said special advisor.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by tixe
    I appreciated the enthusiasm, but I'd like to see some real change in fairly short order, something that lets me know the Castellini understands just how bad the pitching is. Sure, "I think I can; I think I can" will sometimes help get you up the hill, but The Little Engine That Could didn't have a higher ERA than the Colorado Rockies.
    Would you rather he walk in and makes changes just for the sake of change? Wouldn't you prefer that he make a full assessment from the FO down to the field and beyond (the minors) so as not to do anything foolish based on what he THINKS he knows today?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Would you rather he walk in and makes changes just for the sake of change? Wouldn't you prefer that he make a full assessment from the FO down to the field and beyond (the minors) so as not to do anything foolish based on what he THINKS he knows today?
    What's he been doing for the past few months? I mean how hard is it to assess the performance of the Reds' organization on the field and as a business?

He had plenty of prep time. Change for the sake of improvement could have been achieved. It still might be, but it could have been yesterday as well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

No. My concern (I mentioned this on the other thread, but there are so many comments there much gets lost, I know) is that some of his comments sounded as if he believes that the team's pitching can improve with the players currently on the roster.

I'm sure that he understands that the pitching is bad, but the "glass half full" comments troubled me a bit. When things get bad enough, recognizing how bad the problem really is is a prerequisite to fixing it.

But it's entirely possible that he was being so positive because he believes that this is the best way to communicate his view of the future and underscore his commitment to future success. Time will tell.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Looking at the organization from the outside and assessing it from the inside are two very very different things, IMHO.

Looking at the organization from the outside and assessing it from the inside are two very very different things, IMHO.
    He had access to the books. He knows what the market performance of other organizations has been. It's not hard to measure that. You could set a biz school intern onto a project like that and have your answers within a week.

And I wholeheartedly disagree that you need to be inside the organization to understand what its on-field performance has been and where the current talent level resides. You and I know it. People from coast-to-coast know it. It's not hard to figure out and it's not a secret.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

The one positive I take from Lou's name being bantered about is the fact that we can be reasonably sure Lou is not interested in coming into a losing philosophy. He left Tampa because it beat him down. Maybe he is waiting,like the rest of us,to see if serious commitment to changing/winning is a reality. Maybe that is what Lou told Castellini and crew. Hopefully major change is forthcoming; if it's to lure Lou,so be it,as long as it gets done.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

But M2, just because we know from the outside what is going on and its unfortunate end result, that doesn't mean we necessarily know how or why. Just reviewing the books does not tell him everything that is wrong with the Reds; it may give him a good idea (or not) but until he can find out all the reasons why, what can he do?

There may be things going on in the front office that are not clearly visible from the outside... there may be individuals who are not doing their jobs but are good at hiding it. Maybe underlings are being told to do things they shouldn't, maybe others are lazy, maybe some just aren't doing what they're told, maybe all are incompetent (even ones at the top), maybe only some are.

Until he gets inside, takes a good look at individuals and office practices, how can he pinpoint the problems of the internal process. Sure, he has the books... doesn't tell him anything except that obviously something's wrong. IMHO, the end result (or top level overview) that we see on the outside doesn't mean anyone automatically know the precise cause... unknown mitgating factors may be contributing to the stuff that happens. I'm talking about the inner workings of the front office, including but not limited to the abysmal marketing and PR which ultimately trickle onto the playing field.

There are a whole lot of things that need fixing in order for the Reds to become a successful franchise, not just one.

TB, I think we all knew enough about DanO and John Allen. I think those are the only two people folks are referring to.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

He did have a chance to see the books, but i doubt he could get a read on the inter office dynamics. There may be some folks there that do a good job and it'd be a shame to clean house in a reactionary way.

It was his day to feel good about buying the team of his boyhood dreams. he prolly dint want to answer 15 questions about firing folks. Let him celebrate for a day--he can fire DanO in a week or 2.

I'm sure you're right.

What I'm saying is there are more... and until he gets inside, he doesn't know who they are.

What I'm also saying is that he's already changed the structure of responsibilities and reporting relationship for both those individuals. So he has already done something huge... right off the bat! I'm sure before anything else is done, he wants to assess the situation (all situations) more closely and from an insider's vantage point.... and there's nothing wrong with that. That way, he can make smart moves instead of guessing.

He's been inside for months. Or so a little birdie in the know told me.

Most people check out a company before they accept a job, I would think a successful businessman would be bright enough to have an intimate knowledge of the business he is buying before he buys.

He's been part owner of a MLB team before, he knew what to look for. If he can't/didn't assess the mess this organization is in long before the good ole boy network blessed this sale, then he has no business being the owner.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Of course he has. And every single employee has been on their best behavior everytime he's been around.

I know how it works... I was on that end when the company I worked for was purchased by another. Once he moves in, he'll see how it really works.

Turn Off Ads?